• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andre The Giant Biopic in the Works (EXCLUSIVE)

Lion Forge Comics and producers Scott Steindorff and Dylan Russell have partnered to develop a feature film about the life of iconic pro wrestler Andre “The Giant” Roussimoff.

The project is based on the authorized graphic novel biography published last year, “Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven.” Roussimoff’s daughter Robin Christensen-Roussimoff will consult on the film and assigned the exclusive rights for the biography to the producers.

“Andre the Giant rode the wave of the rise of wrestling in America, while suffering from the painful health condition of gigantism – there’s an Elephant Man story here,” Steindorff said.

In addition to his wrestling career, Roussimoff played a key role in Rob Reiner’s 1987 fantasy comedy “The Princess Bride” as Fezzik, part of a trio of bandits with characters played by Wallace Shawn and Mandy Patinkin. He began wrestling professionally at the age of 17 and was billed as being 7-feet-4 and over 500 pounds hailing from “Grenoble in the French Alps.”

“As a lifelong wrestling fan, I can say with conviction that no one was bigger than Andre,” said Lion Forge CEO David Steward II. “His presence and charisma were so powerful, and you could tell there was much more to him under the surface of his ring persona. It’s been an amazing experience telling that story in the book with Robin’s help. With all the spectacle, action, and emotion there on the page, a feature film just made perfect sense.”

“Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven” was written by Brandon Easton and illustrated by Denis Medri. The biography, which was nominated for the Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity and three Glyph Awards, recounts the wrestler’s life from his earliest days working on the family farm in France along with the rise of professional wrestling itself through the World Wrestling Federation, due in large part to Andre the Giant’s celebrity.

Steward and Lion Forge’s Carl Reed will produce with Steindorff and Russell of Stone Village Productions, with Joel Falderon as a co-producer and Barry Alexander as an associate producer. Jimmy Thomas will executive produce with Peter Fruchtman.

“I’m really excited to watch this story come to life on the big screen,” Robin Christensen-Roussimoff said. “It’s been a labor of love for everyone involved, and we’re really looking forward to making it available to a larger audience.”

Stone Village, led by Steindorff and Russell, has feature films credits on Jon Favreau’s “Chef,” Natalie Portman’s “Jane Got a Gun” and Matthew McConaughey’s “The Lincoln Lawyer.” The company’s TV credits include the syndicated NBC series “Las Vegas,” starring James Caan and Josh Duhamel, and the HBO mini-series “Empire Falls” which starred Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Helen Hunt, Joanne Woodward and Robin Wright.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd see it

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up watching Andre, both in the ring and on tv/movies like The Princess Bride :nod: The early Wrestlemania's are imprinted in my mind forever :suds: Would love to see this

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man who was in so much pain, they needed to drive him to the ring at wrestlemania on a forklift, lower the ropes, just so Hulk Hogan could body slam him and start his legacy. Sure hope that part comes up.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Show?

I was thinking the same thing lol. But that'd be awful.

Gerard Depardieu seems like a good one to me. If they want a great actor, they are going to have to deal with the size issue. Depardieu is a bigger guy...but nowhere near Andre obviously. If they can make Tom Cruise not look 4 foot 10 ever movie, they can pull this off too.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing lol. But that'd be awful.

Gerard Depardieu seems like a good one to me. If they want a great actor, they are going to have to deal with the size issue. Depardieu is a bigger guy...but nowhere near Andre obviously. If they can make Tom Cruise not look 4 foot 10 ever movie, they can pull this off too.

If 5 foot nothing Sylvester Stallone can play the heavyweight champion of the world anything is possible.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch the show so I don't know which one would be best but wouldn't one of the dudes who has played "Mountain" on Game of Thrones be an obvious fit?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Show?

That was my first thought as well as to who could play the full grown version. I'm hoping there is some unknown actor who also has the size that might be able to do a better acting job.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch the show so I don't know which one would be best but wouldn't one of the dudes who has played "Mountain" on Game of Thrones be an obvious fit?

That could work. But he'd likely have to put on some weight.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Game of Thrones, how about the guy that played Oberyn Martell plays Inigo Montoya? How cool would that be? Especially if the "Mountain" plays Andre!