• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andre Carter to sign with the Patriots

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
according to his twitter account.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So word is they might be switching to a 43. Big Al and AC don't like the 34.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andre Carter joins the Patriots | ProFootballTalk

Taking a page from their rivals in the AFC East, the New England Patriots have scuttled the whole “build through the draft” mentality that won three Super Bowls in four years, opting instead to round up a bunch of big-name free agents who are much closer to the end of their careers than the beginning.

After adding receiver Chad Ochocincio, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, and defensive end Shaun Ellis, the Patriots have agreed to terms with veteran defensive end Andre Carter.

Carter announced the deal on his Twitter page, and Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com confirmed that the message wasn’t the result of an account hacking or a lost phone.

A 10-year veteran, Carter spent his first five seasons with the 49ers, and his next five with the Redskins. Carter recently worked out with the Giants.

The Redskins cut Carter in March to avoid paying him a $4 million bonus.

Note...He played OLB with the redskin's...

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Carter is clearly more productive from the end position, so I have to agree, if NE is going to take advantage of AH & AC strengths, then switching to the 43 makes sense

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Carter openly complained about playing 34 OLB and has never done well at it either. He's always been best at 43 end. We all know Haynesworth doesn't like the 34 either.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about the Patriots giving up on the "building through the draft" ideals. Didn't they have two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and two 3rd round picks in this last draft? Sounds like a team stockpiling draft picks to me, so I don't agree with Pro Football Talk

I'd just say that the Patriots are doing the same thing the 49ers did in the mid-late 90s. Using the appeal of a Tom Brady led offense to bring in veteran defenders to fill in the gaps for immediate results while the draftees get a little more time to learn.

Think about some of the guys the 49ers brought in staring in 1994, Rickey Jackson, Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Gary Plummer. The 49ers were doing the same basic thing that New England is doing now

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That would make a lot of sense because they don't have any 3-4 OLB, and Carter is useless in a 3-4. Also Jerod Mayo will get to roam more. This is bad news. Belichick is basically building a good defense off the scrap heap.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Shaun Ellis on the line too with Ron Brace when he comes back and Wilfork. Must be nice.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure about the Patriots giving up on the "building through the draft" ideals. Didn't they have two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and two 3rd round picks in this last draft? Sounds like a team stockpiling draft picks to me, so I don't agree with Pro Football Talk

I'd just say that the Patriots are doing the same thing the 49ers did in the mid-late 90s. Using the appeal of a Tom Brady led offense to bring in veteran defenders to fill in the gaps for immediate results while the draftees get a little more time to learn.

Think about some of the guys the 49ers brought in starting in 1994, Rickey Jackson, Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, Gary Plummer. The 49ers were doing the same basic thing that New England is doing now

I completely agree. Between drafting Mallett and these FA moves, I get the distinct impression Belichick knows his time with Brady, playing at his peak and playing healthy, is winding down and he wants to reclaim that lost ring.

PaleRider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I found it interesting that as soon as NE drafted Mallet we traded back. I think he'll be a good qb for them down the road.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see if McCourtney will have a repeat of last year or have a sophomore slump.