• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

...and now the Pac-12 eliminates divisions...

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article from espn.com

The NCAA Division I Council announced Wednesday that it will relax restrictions on college football's conference championship games, allowing conferences to determine the teams that would participate in their respective title game. The decision paves the way for conferences to avoid having title-game matchups determined by division winners as well as possibly eliminating divisions altogether.

It didn't take long for a Power 5 conference to change things up. Minutes after the NCAA announcement, the Pac-12 announced that starting in 2022, the conference's title game would feature the teams with the two highest winning percentages.
"Our goal is to place our two best teams in our Pac-12 Football Championship Game, which we believe will provide our conference with the best opportunity to optimize CFP invitations and ultimately win national championships," said Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff in a news release. "Today's decision is an important step towards that goal and immediately increases both fan interest in, and the media value of, our Football Championship Game."

As the Pac-12 made sure to note in its announcement, the conference originally brought this motion of deregulating title games to the council. The motion, according to the Pac-12, was "unanimously supported by all FBS conferences."

This news has also been a long time coming for the ACC. In 2014, the conference first started pushing for deregulation as it relates to the divisional format, believing every league should have the right to determine how to run its championship game.

I'm telling you, folks. I'm no psychic, but do you not sense MORE major changes coming to college football?
(1)CFP.
(2)Teams switching conferences.
(3)NIL...name, image, likeness.
(4)Conferences getting rid of divisions.

MAJOR CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT...PERHAPS?

I'd like to see the next order of business....hiring a football commissioner. Jay Bilas gets my vote.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m thinking with Texas & OU moving to SEC. The ACC is seriously thinking of eliminating divisions and now that the PAC has, I’m with ya major realignment is coming.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m thinking with Texas & OU moving to SEC. The ACC is seriously thinking of eliminating divisions and now that the PAC has, I’m with ya major realignment is coming.
I think this looks good... ;)

Pacific (9)--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Mountain (9)--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, UNLV, Utah.
Southwest (9)--Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Midwest (9)--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Central (9)--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
Atlantic (9)--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
South (9)--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Southeast (9)--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, NC St, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Wake Forest.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add the Mountain West. Eliminating divisions in 2023.

1653089159910.png

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the B1G is heading in that direction as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article from espn.com

The NCAA Division I Council announced Wednesday that it will relax restrictions on college football's conference championship games, allowing conferences to determine the teams that would participate in their respective title game. The decision paves the way for conferences to avoid having title-game matchups determined by division winners as well as possibly eliminating divisions altogether.

It didn't take long for a Power 5 conference to change things up. Minutes after the NCAA announcement, the Pac-12 announced that starting in 2022, the conference's title game would feature the teams with the two highest winning percentages.
"Our goal is to place our two best teams in our Pac-12 Football Championship Game, which we believe will provide our conference with the best opportunity to optimize CFP invitations and ultimately win national championships," said Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff in a news release. "Today's decision is an important step towards that goal and immediately increases both fan interest in, and the media value of, our Football Championship Game."

As the Pac-12 made sure to note in its announcement, the conference originally brought this motion of deregulating title games to the council. The motion, according to the Pac-12, was "unanimously supported by all FBS conferences."

This news has also been a long time coming for the ACC. In 2014, the conference first started pushing for deregulation as it relates to the divisional format, believing every league should have the right to determine how to run its championship game.

I'm telling you, folks. I'm no psychic, but do you not sense MORE major changes coming to college football?
(1)CFP.
(2)Teams switching conferences.
(3)NIL...name, image, likeness.
(4)Conferences getting rid of divisions.

MAJOR CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT...PERHAPS?

I'd like to see the next order of business....hiring a football commissioner. Jay Bilas gets my vote.

I don't know about major conference realignments, but most of these are things that should have been done a long time ago.

It seems like a lot because it's stuff that has been discussed/debated for years...and now it seems to be happening all at once. Folks have barely gotten used to cfp...and now here come transfer portals, NIL and changing CCG formats all at once.

I also am not so sure that this is eliminating divisions as much as it is guaranteeing the best game for the CCG. It's to prevent things like 2011 when USC was the South Champion, but was ineligible for the post season...so the CCG was 11-2 Oregon vs. 6-6 UCLA, while 11-2 Stanford sat at home.

I think most seasons the CCG will be the North Champ vs. the South Champ. This just hedges in case 1 division is having a down year or it's champ can't participate.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about major conference realignments, but most of these are things that should have been done a long time ago.

It seems like a lot because it's stuff that has been discussed/debated for years...and now it seems to be happening all at once. Folks have barely gotten used to cfp...and now here come transfer portals, NIL and changing CCG formats all at once.

I also am not so sure that this is eliminating divisions as much as it is guaranteeing the best game for the CCG. It's to prevent things like 2011 when USC was the South Champion, but was ineligible for the post season...so the CCG was 11-2 Oregon vs. 6-6 UCLA, while 11-2 Stanford sat at home.

I think most seasons the CCG will be the North Champ vs. the South Champ. This just hedges in case 1 division is having a down year or it's champ can't participate.

Yeah, I'm fine with the change but I don't think it's going to change that much honestly.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this looks good... ;)

Pacific (9)--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Mountain (9)--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, UNLV, Utah.
Southwest (9)--Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Midwest (9)--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Central (9)--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
Atlantic (9)--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
South (9)--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Southeast (9)--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, NC St, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Wake Forest.
As much sense as that makes geographically, even before the USC/UCLA move, this would never have happened. Why? One major reason, the Atlantic, Mountain, Pacific and Midwest Divisions or Conferences in your above scenario, you could literally have half your 8 playoff teams be, #22 Oregon, #12 Utah, #23 Iowa and #13 Pitt. So none of them finished in the Top 10 of the AP rankings. Heck, even the Southeast last year, would that have been #15 Wake Forest? Nope #14 Clemson. So 5 of the 8 teams not even in the Top 10 of the rankings? Half outside the Top 12.

5 of the Top 10 would have come out of your Central Division, and the Top 2 out of the South, 3 South teams all ranking higher than the best of those first 5 I mentioned, and 3 Top Ten teams came out of your Southwest Division.

I mean, like I said, geographically your alignment makes sense, but no way would, for example, Michigan, Ohio St, MSU and Notre Dame agree to all be in the same Division with only 1 of them getting a shot, same with Bama, Auburn, Georgia and LSU, and again with Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas A&M & Texas. Just too much of the top teams grouped together in the same Divisions.