• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And I Thought Some of You Guys Were Bad...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I (finally, just) realized I can listen to Detroit sports radio stations on my computer at work.

Ho. Lee. Shit.

I can't believe how many people are calling in with the most negative, baseless crap they can seem to come up with! Jeebus! No wonder some of you think this team is just the "same old Lions," that's apparently a very common theme in the Detroit area.

I also think a lot of these callers are pretty casual fans with some of the insight they're offering up. One guy just called and said that he sees 9 wins for us, tops. The radio host pointed out that we're already at 7 wins. The guy replied "I know". We have Chicago twice, Minnesota, and Tampa coming up, 3 of those 4 at home, and there's really guys like this that think we only win two of those games, not to mention losing to NE and GB? Wow.

I guess long story short is that I didn't realize that local sports radio is such a sounding board for the pessimist segment. No wonder those thoughts/ideals are so alive and well on the board... real eye-opener for me...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was eye opening about it?

Detroit had one of the easiest schedules to finish the season last year. Thru 10 weeks we were 6-3 and went 1-6 the rest of the way. In 2012, we were 4-5 thru 10 weeks and proceeded to go 0-7 the last 7 weeks.

The only way the Lions are going to change the frame of mind in many fans is to prove them wrong on the field. They have 1 playoff win in 50 years. It isn't going to happen over night. Until they prove it on the field and finish out a season -- you are always going to have long time fans who are just waiting for the same collapse they have seen many times over.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised by this?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you believe this board is being persuaded by talk radio callers. Is that what you're getting at?

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you believe this board is being persuaded by talk radio callers. Is that what you're getting at?

We're not bright enough to be persuaded. The term you're looking for is 'parroting'.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started peeking in at other Lions forums and FB groups, I realized that none of that stuff changes at all. 75 percent of the shit is all negative and most of them dont even know what theyre talking about.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not directly persuaded by the talk radio, but I guess I didn't realize what a pervasive mindset this "same old Lions" thing is. I don't live in the Detroit area, so I think I get the advantage of being objective without that constant negative background noise altering my opinions. It's gotta be hard to stay positive with all of that talk going on all the time, imo.

Also, how we finished last year, the year before, 1996, 1985, or 1968 has no bearing on how we'll finish this year, so anyone who lets that influence their opinion on the Lions, imo, isn't interested in assessing this year's team, but would rather just take the easy road and bitch about the past. If results from recent seasons plays such a large role in the ultimate destiny of a team each season, then why do we very rarely get repeat Super Bowl champions?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started peeking in at other Lions forums and FB groups, I realized that none of that stuff changes at all. 75 percent of the shit is all negative and most of them dont even know what theyre talking about.

Amen! That's something I've noticed BIG TIME listening to the talk radio shows this week. There's a lot of people that call in and come on very hard, like they know exactly what they're talking about, and I'm just like "huh?" by the time they're done. I wonder where some of these ideas and opinions come from, as they're simply illogical? Not all of them, of course, but damn, some people are just not as informed as they seem to think.

Our board members seem to be a cut above, at least knowledge-wise, compared to these callers I'm listening to...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had grown up in Detroit, I would probably be a Chiefs fan.

Listening to radio in my youth, I had deducted that Cowboy fans were the dumbest sons of bitches in the world. Turns out that the dumbest sons of bitches in the world are people who call in to talk radio stations.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much easier to be impartial living outside of Michigan. I see the same thing here with the Patriots. After week 4 people were calling for Jimmy Garropollo :L

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not directly persuaded by the talk radio, but I guess I didn't realize what a pervasive mindset this "same old Lions" thing is. I don't live in the Detroit area, so I think I get the advantage of being objective without that constant negative background noise altering my opinions. It's gotta be hard to stay positive with all of that talk going on all the time, imo.

Also, how we finished last year, the year before, 1996, 1985, or 1968 has no bearing on how we'll finish this year, so anyone who lets that influence their opinion on the Lions, imo, isn't interested in assessing this year's team, but would rather just take the easy road and bitch about the past. If results from recent seasons plays such a large role in the ultimate destiny of a team each season, then why do we very rarely get repeat Super Bowl champions?

Funny, I've been hearing that for about 30 years now....

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I've been hearing that for about 30 years now....

And it's been untrue for about 30 years, just the same. 2013 is gone, doesn't effect the 2014 season. This isn't the old BCS system...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent really been paying too much attention here. Is that what posters are saying after the loss on the road against the NFLS best team? If so, once again posters here are overreacting.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that repetition is the mother of all learning. So have you learned it yet?

Yep. I've learned that just because they didn't win a playoff game last year or the year before or the year before.... doesn't mean that they won't this year. It just coincidentally turns out that they don't. Every year.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent really been paying too much attention here. Is that what posters are saying after the loss on the road against the NFLS best team? If so, once again posters here are overreacting.

No, not posters. Sports show callers. Didn't realize how many idiots were out there...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was eye opening about it?

Detroit had one of the easiest schedules to finish the season last year. Thru 10 weeks we were 6-3 and went 1-6 the rest of the way. In 2012, we were 4-5 thru 10 weeks and proceeded to go 0-7 the last 7 weeks.

The only way the Lions are going to change the frame of mind in many fans is to prove them wrong on the field. They have 1 playoff win in 50 years. It isn't going to happen over night. Until they prove it on the field and finish out a season -- you are always going to have long time fans who are just waiting for the same collapse they have seen many times over.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised by this?

I think I know who one of the callers was. :whistle:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I've learned that just because they didn't win a playoff game last year or the year before or the year before.... doesn't mean that they won't this year. It just coincidentally turns out that they don't. Every year.

Statistics and probabilities can be fickle bitches. Based on your post I would suggest never gambling. Just because Red comes up on the roulette wheel 62 times in a row does not make the probability of black coming up on the next spin any more probable. I guarantee it is close to even money and the same for both.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how we finished last year, the year before, 1996, 1985, or 1968 has no bearing on how we'll finish this year, so anyone who lets that influence their opinion on the Lions, imo, isn't interested in assessing this year's team, but would rather just take the easy road and bitch about the past. If results from recent seasons plays such a large role in the ultimate DESTINY of a team each season, then why do we very rarely get repeat Super Bowl champions?

You can say it has no bearing, which I actually agree with, when you talk about 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. The team still has only won a single playoff game in 50 years. That is why you hear many fans say -- SOL. Until the team shows they can get over the hump -- you will see many people thinking along the same lines.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I know who one of the callers was.

I'm not in the car enough to listen to talk radio. I hear bits and pieces when I'm running around with my little guy. Definitely not enough to call in.

That being said -- I completely understand why I die hard fan has doubts about the team. They haven't done anything to change that mindset.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in the car enough to listen to talk radio. I hear bits and pieces when I'm running around with my little guy. Definitely not enough to call in.

That being said -- I completely understand why I die hard fan has doubts about the team. They haven't done anything to change that mindset.

:bawling: