• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

American Hustle (2013)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved it.

Great dialogue, great performances, the plot was flawless. Cooper was the weak link, but even that worked because of the douchiness of his character.

It was an old school movie. Some younger people may not like it, but its lack of "action" is made up for in spades by a fast paced script and great production.

I really can't believe how "an agent" (aka not trying to ruin the plot for people who haven't seen it yet) could truly be that stupid. Though he was "seduced" by Lawrence.. So that's why.. Yes it was for an "older" generation but I did like it once the plot became evident 20 or so minutes into the movie

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amy Adams

tumblr_mqt2n7MUHG1rrkahjo1_400.gif

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't believe how "an agent" (aka not trying to ruin the plot for people who haven't seen it yet) could truly be that stupid. Though he was "seduced" by Lawrence.. So that's why.. Yes it was for an "older" generation but I did like it once the plot became evident 20 or so minutes into the movie

He got greedy.

There are stupid federal agents just like any other job. He was so easy to dislike because even though he was a fed, he was a slimy piece of shit and really the worst person in the movie. That made the ending that much more enjoyable.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got greedy.

There are stupid federal agents just like any other job. He was so easy to dislike because even though he was a fed, he was a slimy piece of shit and really the worst person in the movie. That made the ending that much more enjoyable.

That is true. I laughed my ass off at the end... And you are correct with your assessment of his character.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it today. I enjoyed it. Wasn't the best movie ever or anything but certainly enjoyable. Lawrence continues to impress me as an actress. What is she, like mid 20s? She's got a chance to be an all time great if she keeps this up.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it today. I enjoyed it. Wasn't the best movie ever or anything but certainly enjoyable. Lawrence continues to impress me as an actress. What is she, like mid 20s? She's got a chance to be an all time great if she keeps this up.

23 I believe lol. So not even mid 20s yet

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys loved this?

I just got back from it and was very underwhelmed, especially considering the cast. It was slow, and deserved a more significant twist at the end for as long as it was.

It seemed like the director just shoved in cast members from his prior movies and didn't really cast. It just seemed like the characters were forced by most of the actors. I think they could have been cast better.

I'm on the same page with you. I watched it last week and came away feeling really underwhelmed too. The characters and the extravagant sets (the opening scene particularly where Christian Bale is fixing his comb over hair is perfect) draw you in at first but the plot just never really fully reels you in. For a movie that is barely over 2 hours, the plot really drags by slowly and builds up to a very underwhelming plot twist at the end.

It's funny, because I watched Wolf of Wall Street the following week...a 3 hour long Scorsese film and it felt like a fast paced 2 hour movie whereas American Hustle felt like the 3 hour film that dragged

Overall though, American Hustle isn't a bad film by any stretch. If anything it's actually a pretty good film considering the great performances by the cast. But for a film getting so much oscar hype and such high ratings (94 % rottentomatoes, 90/10 metascore, 8.2 imdb) I'm expecting a better plot and better execution.

I think the problem with this film is David O Russell relies too much on the actors and the characters to carry the movie. This was supposed to be his "Goodfellas"...only problem is none of the characters are as interesting as the characters in Goodfellas. Bale's character is interesting and Jennifer Lawrence gives her best in this, but take away the wacky hairdo and the extravagant sets and we have a very boring film

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also read that a lot of the movie was improvised. When the actors brought that up to David O Russell saying it would alter the plot his response was "I hate plots. I'm all about characters. That's it"

......annnnd that pretty much sums up the movie

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also read that a lot of the movie was improvised. When the actors brought that up to David O Russell saying it would alter the plot his response was "I hate plots. I'm all about characters. That's it"

......annnnd that pretty much sums up the movie

The whole plot thing isn't too strange. A lot of directors do that for movies.

Wolf of Wall Street doesn't have much of a plot. It's just a crazy lunatic doing extremely extreme things. But I do agree at the same time you gotta make it interesting like Scorsese, Leo and Hill did. That movie didn't need much of a plot.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched it a second time (Screener leaked) and I will say it is much better than the first viewing. Overall the con and the story isn't as great as the oscar buzz has it hyped up to be but watching it a second time the performances are even more impressive.

I felt a lot more empathy for Jeremy Renner's character Carmine and Christian Bale's guilt for pulling him deeper and deeper into the con knowing that he was an honest genuinely good man. The pacing also felt quicker paced and less slow and tedious the second time.

First Viewing: 7/10

Second Viewing: 8.5/10

Still not worth the oscar buzz but a very very fine film

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jennifer Lawrence looked like a goddess and I got to see Amy Adams tits, oscar winner!!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bale was great, and he should be up for most best actor awards. But even as good as he was, the ladies stole the show. Everyone knew that Lawrence would be great, but I think even she was outshined by Adams.

yep

Amy Adams' best performance since Junebug, which nobody seems to have watched.

And Lawrence's best performance since Winter's Bone, which nobody seems to have watched, either.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
christian bale is always just patrick bateman to me

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good, not great. Worth a Netflix viewing. I also don't get the Oscar buzz for best actor, actress...maybe for Amy Adams, but that's about it. Nobody was really bad, but only her performance stood out.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good, not great. Worth a Netflix viewing. I also don't get the Oscar buzz for best actor, actress...maybe for Amy Adams, but that's about it. Nobody was really bad, but only her performance stood out.

Usually when a movie and the actors and actresses are up for sooo many awards the movie doesn't live up to the hype. When critics don't like it imo is when a movie is good (for the most part).

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed it and would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had more J-Law.

Overall, worth the price of admission IMO.