• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Altuve Accused of Wearing a Buzzer

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said above everyone is going to have their own opinions, thoughts and beliefs which makes this country so great!

Exactly! There is no right w/o there being a wrong so I can't be right w/o you all being wrong.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey, look at the new jersey the astros have proposed for 2020.

71O1NsuWEyL._SX466_.jpg

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its total crap!
Personally I love the guy ( even though he is the biggest pain in the ass against the M's)
I think society today over kills every thing and this will smear a guy that plays this game hard and with fun.

You already took their draft picks, their GM and Manger was fired, you have two other mangers fired that were part of the team back then removed.... Its done lets move on.

And to be honest, it's a shame folks don't think this goes on else where either. These are billion dollar businesses, sign stealing goes back to the early 1900's its not like the Astro's just invented this.

Of course the same people that think it doesn't go on are the same folks that think those big white guys in the NFL don't take steroids.

I think you're kinda missing the point here. Of course signs stealing have been going on for ages. The only difference now with the Astros was the use of technology/electronic devices. They may have very well invented that with Cora and Beltran.

That is what the MLB is trying to stop.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're kinda missing the point here. Of course signs stealing have been going on for ages. The only difference now with the Astros was the use of technology/electronic devices. They may have very well invented that with Cora and Beltran.

But this is the same line of thinking when scouting reports came out. Don’t hate the Astros, hate the Mariners for spending millions of dollars in nonsense that didn’t actually help the club hit.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this is the same line of thinking when scouting reports came out. Don’t hate the Astros, hate the Mariners for spending millions of dollars in nonsense that didn’t actually help the club hit.

Huh I wasn't going to go that deep but that's a pretty good example

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand it that the league is trying to cut it down, my point is if they have no solid proof of Altuve and didn't suspended or ban him from the game then stop throwing him under the bus.

If you want to play the point the finger game let me throw this one out there, how could other teams let the Astros come into there stadiums and hook a camera up in centerfield and get away with this? I mean I get they did it at home but it also had to happen on the road since their road record was pretty damn good as well.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are they, though? A couple of managers fired voluntarily, a wussy suspension and only one player named. Anyone who wants to, can go back over the 2017 playoffs and listen for the garbage can banging. I can guarantee it doesn’t only happen when Beltran was at bat, and it’s total horseshit to believe none of the other players were in on it.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Astros may very well be talented enough to not cheat and win the World Series. It’ll be very interesting to see next few years how they respond to this whole thing. If they continue to do well and reach/win the WS, then all this use of electronic devices sign stealing are moot.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros may very well be talented enough to not cheat and win the World Series. It’ll be very interesting to see next few years how they respond to this whole thing. If they continue to do well and reach/win the WS, then all this use of electronic devices sign stealing are moot.

Eh, I still don’t care that much about the offense. Catchers and pitchers should adapt just like they are suppose to once a scouting report comes out on them. The thing I’m way more interested in is their pitching staff and how the hell they made below average to average pitchers into above average to great pitchers.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they, though? A couple of managers fired voluntarily, a wussy suspension and only one player named. Anyone who wants to, can go back over the 2017 playoffs and listen for the garbage can banging. I can guarantee it doesn’t only happen when Beltran was at bat, and it’s total horseshit to believe none of the other players were in on it.

I’m pretty sure Cora and many other players are in on it, I guess they don’t want to name the players because it would mean taking the WS away? Probably a can they don’t wanna open.

in regard to Cora though, I think he is largely responsible for this whole thing, there is an article out there how obsessed he is with sign stealing

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I still don’t care that much about the offense. Catchers and pitchers should adapt just like they are suppose to once a scouting report comes out on them. The thing I’m way more interested in is their pitching staff and how the hell they made below average to average pitchers into above average to great pitchers.

I wasn’t even aware of this. Is there something out there in regard to their pitching as well?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Bregbitch looked like he was about to cry during his press conference. At least Altuve has balls.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m pretty sure Cora and many other players are in on it, I guess they don’t want to name the players because it would mean taking the WS away? Probably a can they don’t wanna open.
The outcry is becoming too great. It's pretty clear they cheated, and it's also clear than numerous players were in on it. If you can't identify them all, then fine. Their postseason and WS win need to be vacated, in order to restore some semblance of integrity to the sport. Manfred looks to be sweeping this under the carpet, as though it's a player caught with roids or a bench-clearing brawl.
in regard to Cora though, I think he is largely responsible for this whole thing, there is an article out there how obsessed he is with sign stealing
No doubt. Ban his ass longer then.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand it that the league is trying to cut it down, my point is if they have no solid proof of Altuve and didn't suspended or ban him from the game then stop throwing him under the bus.

Players were granted immunity from MLB before investigation started. So don't expect names to be mentioned or validate innocence based on lack of suspensions because they were never in play.

If you want to play the point the finger game let me throw this one out there, how could other teams let the Astros come into there stadiums and hook a camera up in centerfield and get away with this? I mean I get they did it at home but it also had to happen on the road since their road record was pretty damn good as well.

My understanding was they used cameras and monitors that MLB set up for replays.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="NWinAZ, post: 14371324, member: 5613

My understanding was they used cameras and monitors that MLB set up for replays.[/QUOTE]

well that clearly backfired in the leagues face

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn’t even aware of this. Is there something out there in regard to their pitching as well?

Nothing definitive but it is much more suspicious that the pitching staff became amazing rather than a bunch of elite prospects and a mini ball player who was elite when the team won 40 games or whatever.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can answer the question that Hinch seems to muddle through; Yes it is tainted and yes it played into winning because no team/person takes such a huge risk of being outed for something that may or may not be an advantage.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont care how nice he seemed or how good he was with the media.

Guy is a liar and knew cheating was going on and did nothing about it. He may not have been the mastermind but as the manager the buck stops with him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros reportedly used code-breaking computer program during games
Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 2/7/20

New reporting shows that the culture of cheating within the Houston Astrosorganization started at the top, and it happened long before any trash cans were involved.

New reporting by Jared Diamond of the Wall Street Journal shows that members of the Houston Astros front office originally devised a sign-stealing scheme in late 2016, and former general manager Jeff Luhnow was almost certainly aware of it.

On Sept. 22, 2016, an Astros intern presented a PowerPoint to Luhnow outlining a new program called “Codebreaker,” an Excel-based application that was used to decode opposing catchers’ signs. The program was used by someone watching a game on video who noted what sign the catcher put down, followed by the pitch that was thrown. This allowed the user to determine which pitch corresponded to which sign, and that information could be relayed to an intermediary, then to an Astros baserunner, who passed it on to a hitter.

This system was used during the 2017 season and part of 2018, and was used in both home and away games. The player-driven trash can scheme came into use in June 2017 on top of the use of Codebreaker.

Luhnow, who has denied any knowledge of sign-stealing schemes, was told of the program in its infancy and asked questions about it. Tom Koch-Weser, the Astros' director of advance information, sent multiple emails to Luhnow referencing “the system” and what Koch-Weser referred to as the “our dark arts, sign-stealing department.” Luhnow claimed that he did not read to the bottom of the emails because they were too long, and thus did not see those references. Luhnow admitted to remembering the PowerPoint but claimed that he thought it would be used legally to allow runners to share the signs in future games as opposed to doing it instantaneously during live game action.

Other Astros employees who spoke to MLB believed that Luhnow had to know about the Codebreaker operation. It was not hidden when Luhnow visited the video room, and the term “dark arts” was even included in the scouting department’s 2019 budget spreadsheet. There was also evidence that Koch-Weser used the “dark arts” terminology to try to convince Luhnow to extend his contract. Luhnow denied this and stated that he did not view the portion of the budget that contained the terminology and would have said something if he had.

There is significant evidence that Luhnow knew about this operation, or at least should have. Even if you believe his denials, the most charitable interpretation is that he wasn’t even close to thorough in reviewing emails or other pertinent data, so he looks bad either way. His denials do not hold any weight and clearly should not be believed.

One of the most interesting reveals is that the Astros were using this system on the road and into 2018 as well. It certainly supports Yu Darvish’s theory that something was amiss during Game 7 of the 2017 World Series, and may well taint that Astros championship even more.