• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The jets are going to cut OG Laken Tomlinson. He joined the jets after leaving the Niners. Any chance we'd be able to bring him back to play RG? Maybe he misses winning enough to take less money in free agency?
I get we're in our SB window and 'win now mentality', but IMO today's Tomlinson isn't going to move the needle much.

My preference is to draft an OG over Tomlinson, even if its the 4th or 5th round. This draft class is huge looking forward so let's just go young now. Yes, the odds of a 4th or 5th rounder becoming a good starter are low, but still rather go this route over Tomlinson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is the THE year to get an OT. The draft is really deep at the spot this time and the quality is good all the way into the late first, early second round. I could see us moving up to nab a falling OT that we have highly rated. Honestly, the more teams that draft QBs, the better it is for the Niners, b/c that means more OTs will fall.

Not sure what to do on BA. I'm thinking he will want a fortune that we can't afford--can't afford to keep Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk all while paying them market level deals. So, I'm thinking BA will ride out this season on the last year of his contract--naturally, he'll hold out of the offseason program and maybe part of TC too. I could see us trading Aiyuk, but it would really depend on the deal we get in return. I just don't see another team offering up a lot for him.
The last 2 drafts were strong at WR, and this one is strong too. So yes, can't see a team giving up a lot for BA, if you don't already have one you might as well draft one now. Their cap hit is much lower than BA's.

A team that considers it self a play-off team, is the only situation where we might get a trade, but these teams pick low in Round 1.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember back in August of 2023 when several of the talking heads (Riddick, Turbin, etc.) said that the NFC West was Seattle’s to lose? Pepperidge Farm Remembers…Seattle finished 3rd in the division. They had some injury issues, but the big loss for them was that their defense got worse and Geno regressed back to his usual average form.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be smart but it does not move the dial. Nothing is going to change on offense at the skilled positions: QB Purdy, WRs Deebo & Aiyuk, Kittle, McCaffrey and Juice will all start in 2024 as they did in 2023. The only reason they didn't win the Super Bowl was because the offense could not convert on third downs, generate a second half ground game or handle the Chiefs pass rush. If all things stay the same, including the play caller, then the only option is to improve the offensive line. McKivitz and Feliciano, Brendel and Burford are not going to play appreciably better in the next Super Bowl. He needs Barton at RG, or McKivitz at RG with Guyton at RT, or the addition of a FA starter like Hunt or Onwenu or Cushenberry.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners redo Warner's contract to create some cap space. He's set to make 15.3M this season with a 24.5M cap figure, but much of his salary can be converted into guaranteed money to lower his 2024 cap number by quite a bit. No word yet on the exact numbers that have been renegotiated.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners restructure the contracts of Kittle and Hargrave to create some cap space.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Chase Senior say this morning that the 49ers are sitting on $31M in cap space and Armstead's June 1 designation will free up an additional $16M in cap space. Is that $31M figure accurate when including Floyd, YGM, Elliott, Collins, etc.? It is feeding speculation of another big deal yet to be announced.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Chase Senior say this morning that the 49ers are sitting on $31M in cap space and Armstead's June 1 designation will free up an additional $16M in cap space. Is that $31M figure accurate when including Floyd, YGM, Elliott, Collins, etc.? It is feeding speculation of another big deal yet to be announced.
If that Armstead cap space does not become available until after the June 1 mark, then the space could be used for extensions.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am opposed to trading for Zach Wilson. His "football character" was questioned by coaches at BYU and with Jets. I have to think Kyle can get a straight assessment from Robert Saleh. The trade would be done last week if Saleh gave Wilson a glowing endorsement.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am opposed to trading for Zach Wilson. His "football character" was questioned by coaches at BYU and with Jets. I have to think Kyle can get a straight assessment from Robert Saleh. The trade would be done last week if Saleh gave Wilson a glowing endorsement.
I just don't see this trade happening at all. First, we're not gonna be keen to pay Wilson's salary. Second, The only way I see us trading for Wilson is if the Jets are paying most of his salary. Third, even if the Jets would pay most of his deal, I'd still be against a trade for Wilson b/c he sucks out loud. There are reports out there that teams are wanting the jets to pay them in draft picks just to take Wilson's salary off the jets books (I don't blame them).

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you make of these Aiyuk trade rumors? I think BA is chafed about how he was used in the Super Bowl. Every kid dreams of starring in the Super Bowl. He know he should have starred and there is no reasonable explanation from Kyle that explains how Jauan was tracking for MVP and Deebo was targeted way more. Aiyuk wanted to shine and Kyle denied him on the biggest stage. This single game was a metaphor for Brandon's projection of his career with Kyle. Is it justified? Was Kyle just overthinking? Will it happen again? It doesnt matter what we think. It only matters what Brandon and his closest people think, and there are some nearest him wo are suspicious it unfolded to hold his negotiating power in check.

Add to this any pushback on BA's contract expectations, and you can understand why things are trending the way they are on social media.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you make of these Aiyuk trade rumors? I think BA is chafed about how he was used in the Super Bowl. Every kid dreams of starring in the Super Bowl. He know he should have starred and there is no reasonable explanation from Kyle that explains how Jauan was tracking for MVP and Deebo was targeted way more. Aiyuk wanted to shine and Kyle denied him on the biggest stage. This single game was a metaphor for Brandon's projection of his career with Kyle. Is it justified? Was Kyle just overthinking? Will it happen again? It doesnt matter what we think. It only matters what Brandon and his closest people think, and there are some nearest him wo are suspicious it unfolded to hold his negotiating power in check.

Add to this any pushback on BA's contract expectations, and you can understand why things are trending the way they are on social media.
I think other teams are interested in BA but that the Niners are asking a lot for him. Honestly, I don't expect the team to trade BA. I think we end up resigning him or even franchise tagging him after the season.

I don't buy the idea that the he wasn't showcased in the SB just to hold down his negotiating power. I can understand his frustration in the run-heavy offense the Niners run. I mean we pass less than any other team. But it works. We'll see just how much it works or doesn't work for BA.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S Julian Blackmon is coming in for a visit and you don't sign a 25 yr old S coming off of a career year to be S #3...Huf potentially on the block? He was certainly a coverage liability before the ACL.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad we signed Dobbs instead. I have zero faith in Wilson becoming anything other than a prime MILF hunter.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This the NFL in the salary cap era - (1) you cannot have all the things you want, and (2) the draft is the only way to restock premium position like LT, EDGE and QB.

My thoughts (in no particular order) as we start to evaluate the 49ers offseason ahead:

1. Greenlaw is out until Thanksgiving, and there is no assurance he will be the same, or that he doesn't strain some other part of his legs compensating for his rehabbed Achilles. Lynch as to be looking at Dee Winters, an affordable free agent or the draft. I don't think Burks or Flannigan-Fowles are an adequate replacement for Greenlaw. I would draft a linebacker in 3rd or 4th round who might push Winters. Lynch must identify a dynamic type similar to Azeez Al-Shaair.

2. Figure out where you want to play Deomodore Lenior, CB2 or NCB, then draft a corner to play the other corner spot. Ambry Thomas is not that guy. Womack is a backup NCB, and Luter should not be handed anything. Make Luter compete with Lenior outside and draft a Jimmie Ward type; or give Lenior the NCB position and draft someone on Day 2 to compete with Luter.

3. The EDGE position opposite Nick Bosa is not set. Drake Jackson is not that guy. I doubt Robert Beal is that guy (he seems like a nice backup). Ferrell, Young and Gregory are all FA's. Sign one of these guys to a 1-year, "prove-it" deal AND draft a first or second day talent. I currently have my eyes on quicker (smaller) Chop Robinson and Chris Braswell and stronger (larger) Bralen Trice and Darius Robinson with the pick at #31.

4. Since I mentioned the #31 pick in the previous thought, that EDGE is not my draft priority in 2024. My draft priority is finding an offensive tackle that can upgrade over McKivitz while being groomed to replace Trent Williams in 2 seasons. But I don't expect that player to be there at #31, which is why I would consider an EDGE at the END of Round One. The only way we can get an adequate shot at Trent's successor in the next two seasons is if we replicate the 2020 draft, when John Lynch traded DeForest Buckner and had an opportunity to draft Tristan Wirfs. Unfortunately, Lynch traded back a pick and tried to replace Buckner with Javon Kinlaw. But, this is 2024, so how do we recreate that draft scenario? It means trading a valuable asset...an All Pro level player that we might not well afford, like say Deebo or Aiyuk. I know this will blow a few minds but remember: "you cannot have all the things you want"

Brandon Aiyuk and his family seemed quick to express their displeasure after the Super Bowl loss. It may be that his agent has told him the 49ers cannot afford both Deebo and Aiyuk beyond 2024, and the structure of Deebo's contract would create a dead money crater that prevents the team from trading Deebo, so the only logical move is a trade of Brandon. If an Aiyuk trade is brewing, it has to be along the AJ Brown to Philadelphia terms. That would put the 49ers closer to drafting mid-first round where a Tristan Wirfs type OT might be available.

If Lynch doesn't pursue this path, and no OT is drafted earlier in the first round, I think the 49ers would be wise the draft the Best OL Available (BOA) at #31. At the moment, that would be Jackson Powers-Johnson, who could start at RG and be groomed to take over the center position from Jake Brendel. Without the 2024 OT pick, Kyle will have to put together a package of picks in 2025 for Trent's heir apparent.

I have my fingers crossed that Luter and Winters emerge as starters. Hufanga paired with Ji'Ayir Brown will be cool to watch.
1. James Williams from the U is intriguing from a draft perspective, Campbell doesn't have the coverage skills but they drafted Winters to be a Greenlaw clone.

2. Yiadom is that guy. Luter and Womack were drafted to take NCB roles as well if we want to keep DMO outside.

3. Floyd was signed along with Matos, Drake Jackson was drafted in Rd 2 and is still young at 23. I feel we should be good along with the interior pass rushing improvement of Collins.

4. I pray to the Football Gods that they draft either a RT w Rd 1 and C w Rd 2 picks to immediately take over for McKivitz and Brendel. Both are not worth the money they are being paid and can be upgraded easily with early round investments in the position in this OL talent heavy draft!