• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith Shows Poise Article

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes! I want to see more Alex Smith and less Frank Gore. That's obviously the recipe for success. :rolleyes2:

I said nothing of the sort.
I want to see a lot of Gore too but if they don't expand the playbook and throw down down the field more Dallas will dominate them.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Congratulations. You used an anomaly as basis for your argument. Alex Smith looked good in one game? Well, in that case, let's give him three more years. Maybe we might see a couple of more games like that.

And in case YOU missed it, Alex Smith always looks decent in the beginning of the season and after a benching, but guess what? He always reverts back to his inconsistent play.

He is inconsistent but to be fair he has shown good play in more than just one game. Just last season he played well in the New Orleans game, the Philly game, the Texans game and the Last Cardinal game. And those seemed to be the games where they took the reins off of him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smith is what he is - a somewhat decent game-manager when not making mistakes, a physically and mentally limited QB, that would make a great backup but a sub-par starter. I don't understand why some people are still waiting on Smith to show them something. He is what he is, why is that so hard to accept?

I don't think it's unusual to hope that your QB will become all-pro. It's obviously incredibly unlikely that Smith will ever be more than he is, but I for one will keep hoping that he surprises us.

Re: the comment about following his benching in the Philly game, it wasn't just in that game, but the remainder of the season. His numbers and play were pretty good, minus the SD game. That said, we hit an easy patch of schedule, and the only legitimately challenging game was the SD one, in which Smith was poor at best. His numbers were also good according to passer rating, but I wonder what hi QBR numbers looked like.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it's unusual to hope that your QB will become all-pro. It's obviously incredibly unlikely that Smith will ever be more than he is, but I for one will keep hoping that he surprises us.

Re: the comment about following his benching in the Philly game, it wasn't just in that game, but the remainder of the season. His numbers and play were pretty good, minus the SD game. That said, we hit an easy patch of schedule, and the only legitimately challenging game was the SD one, in which Smith was poor at best. His numbers were also good according to passer rating, but I wonder what hi QBR numbers looked like.

Me too. Oddly enough, I like him more now than I did when they drafted him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap looks like he's got a loooooooong way to go before he is ready unless you don't mind an early Vick lite.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said nothing of the sort.
I want to see a lot of Gore too but if they don't expand the playbook and throw down down the field more Dallas will dominate them.

That doesn't make sense to me. You know how we beat Dallas? By keeping their offense on the bench. You know how we do that? By getting Gore going.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not about hope, it's about delusion. Any game where Smith makes a couple of decent throws people start talking about how he's starting to show glimpses and about how he's turning the corner.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not about hope, it's about delusion. Any game where Smith makes a couple of decent throws people start talking about how he's starting to show glimpses and about how he's turning the corner.

I think delusion would be 'thinking' it's going to happen, rather than 'hoping.' I don't think it's going to happen, but I root for him to surprise me :cheer2:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't have delusions that Smith is going to become an All-Pro elite QB Pro Bowl on his way to the HOF but I think people do have hope that he can put together one decent or dare I say good season.

Even though I think CK could be a viable starter next season I wouldn't think it's a bad thing if Smith's play would be good enough to buy us another year either.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By opening day next season at the latest...Anyone
Perhaps Kaepernick by midseason depending on what Smith shows.

What does Smith give the Niners?

I agree, they should part ways at the end of season. Though, it really depends on how the team performs. If the TEAM is winning, I think Smith may return as Kap's back-up.

Smith gives the 49ers experience and a good work ethic. Which of course, makes him easy to replace.

What I originally meant was: who was supposed to replace him in 2008, 2009, and 2010? The cord should of been cut in 2008, I believe he is gone if the fracture in his shoulder occurs before the 2008 draft.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does everyone think Kap gets playing time? And i dont mean playing time where they may have some packages for him to do a bootleg and what not. I mean full starter time.

Will it take a bad couple games from smith or elimination from playoff contention? We can all asume the injury card will get him in there assuming he still is 2nd string.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think delusion would be 'thinking' it's going to happen, rather than 'hoping.' I don't think it's going to happen, but I root for him to surprise me :cheer2:

Maybe you, but the author of the article sounded ridiculously delusional.

RCousino85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree Clyde. When I first seen this article it was just one of those that all you could say is Really? It was the first game of the season and it's not like he even had an oustanding game all he did was just manage to not lose the game,it would've been different if he came in and threw for multiple td's and 300+ yards then we could say he showed something but its not even close to a turn around

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That doesn't make sense to me. You know how we beat Dallas? By keeping their offense on the bench. You know how we do that? By getting Gore going.

Do you think they can get Gore going by throwing 20 times without going down field? Will Dallas just focus on stopping Gore? They couldn't get Gore going with that strategy against the sorry Seahawks.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you think they can get Gore going by throwing 20 times without going down field? Will Dallas just focus on stopping Gore? They couldn't get Gore going with that strategy against the sorry Seahawks.

Its kind of a Catch 22. If you don't establish the running game it makes it much more difficult for Smith to pass. If ou don't establish the passing gamet pass then they bunch up to the line and bottle up the running game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kind of a Catch 22. If you don't establish the running game it makes it much more difficult for Smith to pass. If ou don't establish the passing gamet pass then they bunch up to the line and bottle up the running game.

True, but to break the tie of the Catch 22, since Gore is more established than Smith and some people say that running is easier to switch in new offenses than QBs-WRs, I'd gameplan with that in mind. But I'm not sure, perception is key and I'd think if people respect Gore more, they will load the box more and pass may be easier. If the box is loaded, I don't see going Gore will be opportunistic. A few good gaining pass plays and Gore will be able to work. A Peyton Manning offense, in theory would open up the run, though I don't know Indi's run game or know if they try that. But if neither are respected, it is an absolute Catch 22 - though with our struggles on offense, isn't that Sophie's Choice? Just kidding.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True, but to break the tie of the Catch 22, since Gore is more established than Smith and some people say that running is easier to switch in new offenses than QBs-WRs, I'd gameplan with that in mind. But I'm not sure, perception is key and I'd think if people respect Gore more, they will load the box more and pass may be easier. If the box is loaded, I don't see going Gore will be opportunistic. A few good gaining pass plays and Gore will be able to work. A Peyton Manning offense, in theory would open up the run, though I don't know Indi's run game or know if they try that. But if neither are respected, it is an absolute Catch 22 - though with our struggles on offense, isn't that Sophie's Choice? Just kidding.

Its a tough question because dallas' weakness, their secondary, will be tough to exploit with the 49ers weakness, their QB.