• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smiths safety

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to ask this earlier because me and my friend were debating it.

But he said it a bad call because it was a incomplete pass because Stafford knees never hit the ground.

and he is right they never did hit the ground but I was thinking that maybe it was blown dead or there was intentional grounding call which was automatically ruled a safety?

Are we both wrong? I am curious on this

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
didn't one of the announcers say he was 'in the grasp'? if so, thats like being tackled.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking that is was an in the grasp call, if not then it would have been intentional grounding. both would have been a safety.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would've been intentional grounding in the endzone regardless... a Safety was inevitable due to Aldon's pursuit.

Stafford tried to throw the ball after he was falling and nearly made contact with his knees. The ball failed to reach the LOS and no reciever in sight.... Safety.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was expecting the refs to say he was 'down' at the 1/2 yard line given how they were calling the game

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was expecting the refs to say he was 'down' at the 1/2 yard line given how they were calling the game

Not in this game particularily, but many other games when it's close like(not being obvious) they "tend" to give the spot at the half yard line more so than the saftey...

but hey, SAFETY!

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Refs blew the play dead but even if they didn't, he would've gotten intentional grounding in the endzone which is a safety as well. So not only is your friend wrong, but he's wrong in 2 scenarios lol.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As others have said, it would have been a safety for intentional grounding in the endzone, since the ball never passed the line of scrimmage.

I'm glad they called it the way they did, though, cause Aldon gets the sack.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It was the correct call... It was an intentional grounding penanlty that happened in the endzone, therefore it was ruled a safety... I believe that any offensive penalty that happens in the offensive teams own endzone, like holding etc, will result to a saftey...

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know, right after that play I thought we were going to get skrewed.

I thought he would be ruled not down, and that he threw an incomplete pass which wasn't reviewable for intentional grounding. Or some craziness like that to give them an incompletion.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, it would have been a safety for intentional grounding in the endzone, since the ball never passed the line of scrimmage.

I'm glad they called it the way they did, though, cause Aldon gets the sack.

That is not a requirement inside the tackles. It needs to be near a receiver. Outside the pocket you are allowed to throw the ball away even if no receivers in the area if it gets to the LoS. He was still in the pocket though so even if it went past the LoS and no receivers in the area it was still intentional grounding.