• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taillon hasn’t pitched in almost 2 years. Why would you be high on him? The combo of Kluber and Taillon seems like such a huge risk. They should have just signed Tanaka.

tampa hit big going a similar route with Tyler Glasgow, electric arm that could never really put it all together

Cashman has been a master of the under the radar stroke, Voight, DJ, Urshela, Hicks, to a lesser extent Tauchman

it’s his free agents he def doesn’t bat .1000 on

just a hunch with Taillon

I know what I’m getting at this stage with Tanaka, up and down Reg season, cross your fingers in the postseason, impossible to rely on at this point. Once he lost his splitter, if he has it on a given day is anyone’s guess, and that’s dangerous in October

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Yankees win the division that easily. I think it will be much closer than that. Toronto being undersold here.

Tampa too, I still worry about them more, they always figure something out

Toronto will be fun, but that staff really has 2 #3 starters and than a lot of hoping and praying, and I can’t name an arm in that BP

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tampa hit big going a similar route with Tyler Glasgow, electric arm that could never really put it all together

Cashman has been a master of the under the radar stroke, Voight, DJ, Urshela, Hicks, to a lesser extent Tauchman

Don't forget Greg Bird. Never forget Bird.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it’s his free agents he def doesn’t bat .1000 on

just a hunch with Taillon

I know what I’m getting at this stage with Tanaka, up and down Reg season, cross your fingers in the postseason, impossible to rely on at this point. Once he lost his splitter, if he has it on a given day is anyone’s guess, and that’s dangerous in October
Not sure you can compare Glasnow and Taillon so easily? Glasnow was always highly regarded, but wasn’t able to put it together. Taillon was highly regarded but was always hurt. He’s had 2 TJ procedures?? Dude makes James Paxton look like an iron man. Not saying he can’t be healthy and great this year, but really hard to look at his history and expect it. Hard to look at Kluber much differently, too. Great name. Great track record. But he’s 35 and hasn’t pitched in 2 years. Seems like a huge risk.

You are right about Tanaka, but he WAS always a solid innings-eater. And that is really important(especially in a 162 game season). Not that he was anything special, but he leaves a lot of innings to be replaced.
As for Cashman, I’ll give you Voit and Urshela. Nobody saw those coming. DJ was a former. batting champ, though. He wasn’t some scrap heap guy. He just turned out to be a great value given the contract. Hicks was a good trade, but the jury is out on that contract. He hasn’t done much since he signed it. Lots of injuries for him, too. That’s not the kind of contract that hurts the Yankees much, but we’ll see how you feel about that one as time goes by.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa too, I still worry about them more, they always figure something out

Toronto will be fun, but that staff really has 2 #3 starters and than a lot of hoping and praying, and I can’t name an arm in that BP
Agreed. Tampa is always lurking. And then you look at the their lineup and you can’t figure out how they are doing it. It might be tougher for them this time after losing Morton and trading Snell, though. You don’t replace those guys with Chris Archer. That is for sure.

Blue Jays might have the best offense in the league this year. They are going to punish a lot of pitching staffs. Agreed that their pitching looks suspect, though. Not much there to like.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure you can compare Glasnow and Taillon so easily? Glasnow was always highly regarded, but wasn’t able to put it together. Taillon was highly regarded but was always hurt. He’s had 2 TJ procedures?? Dude makes James Paxton look like an iron man. Not saying he can’t be healthy and great this year, but really hard to look at his history and expect it. Hard to look at Kluber much differently, too. Great name. Great track record. But he’s 35 and hasn’t pitched in 2 years. Seems like a huge risk.

You are right about Tanaka, but he WAS always a solid innings-eater. And that is really important(especially in a 162 game season). Not that he was anything special, but he leaves a lot of innings to be replaced.
As for Cashman, I’ll give you Voit and Urshela. Nobody saw those coming. DJ was a former. batting champ, though. He wasn’t some scrap heap guy. He just turned out to be a great value given the contract. Hicks was a good trade, but the jury is out on that contract. He hasn’t done much since he signed it. Lots of injuries for him, too. That’s not the kind of contract that hurts the Yankees much, but we’ll see how you feel about that one as time goes by.

Ahhh DJ was paid peanuts to be one of the top 5 hitters in the game. I assume most GMs saw him as a product of Colorado. 2 years at 24 is a joke for a guy with 2 top 4 MVP finishes. And an added bonus is the bargain they just extended him with. 15 per. Cotton Malone on the other site compared DJ to Rendon and the production and what they are getting paid, makes the DJ deal look even better.

I’m not a big Hicks fan, but the definition of “solid” and another contract that is really club friendly compared to his peers. and the fact they got him for JR Murphy who is now coaching Tball somewhere.

I don’t love the Kluber deal, it’s there I may have paid Tanaka or even Paxson. That entire situation is a total mystery to me how it plays out. My expectations are really low on Kluber.

im not worried about the innings. They were totally dead set on staying under the tax, so they went the “volume” route

between
Cole
Kluber
Taillon
Montgomery
Garcia
German
Schmidt

and Severino returning at some point in June/July, they will piece together enough with a good BP and a lineup that will score as much as anyone

and of course we know if need be, they will be heavy in the trade market in July.

Taillon is a hunch more than anything, I can’t debate the concerns, just when the Yankees target these under the radar guys, they have a pretty good track record of knowing what they are doing. And hey, has anyone had 3 TJ surgeries ....:-)

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Tampa is always lurking. And then you look at the their lineup and you can’t figure out how they are doing it. It might be tougher for them this time after losing Morton and trading Snell, though. You don’t replace those guys with Chris Archer. That is for sure.

Blue Jays might have the best offense in the league this year. They are going to punish a lot of pitching staffs. Agreed that their pitching looks suspect, though. Not much there to like.

Jays and White Sox if you’re a baseball fan, are gonna provide a lot of intrigue and entertainment. Think the White Sox may be a little further along with the rotation

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets signing Jonathan Villar for 3.5 mill was a really nice sneaky little pickup

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh DJ was paid peanuts to be one of the top 5 hitters in the game. I assume most GMs saw him as a product of Colorado. 2 years at 24 is a joke for a guy with 2 top 4 MVP finishes. And an added bonus is the bargain they just extended him with. 15 per. Cotton Malone on the other site compared DJ to Rendon and the production and what they are getting paid, makes the DJ deal look even better.

I’m not a big Hicks fan, but the definition of “solid” and another contract that is really club friendly compared to his peers. and the fact they got him for JR Murphy who is now coaching Tball somewhere.

I don’t love the Kluber deal, it’s there I may have paid Tanaka or even Paxson. That entire situation is a total mystery to me how it plays out. My expectations are really low on Kluber.

im not worried about the innings. They were totally dead set on staying under the tax, so they went the “volume” route

between
Cole
Kluber
Taillon
Montgomery
Garcia
German
Schmidt

and Severino returning at some point in June/July, they will piece together enough with a good BP and a lineup that will score as much as anyone

and of course we know if need be, they will be heavy in the trade market in July.

Taillon is a hunch more than anything, I can’t debate the concerns, just when the Yankees target these under the radar guys, they have a pretty good track record of knowing what they are doing. And hey, has anyone had 3 TJ surgeries ....:-)
Yup. DJ was a steal at $12m and should continue to be for $15m. I’m not sure about all the years on that deal, but he’s fine and the Yankees can handle it.

Not trying to be a hater, but I see Cole and a bunch of question marks in that rotation. You have 4 guys(Severino, German, Kluber, Taillon) who haven’t really pitched and will all need to have their workloads managed. If healthy, I’m not sure how much over 100 innings any of them can go? I like the bullpen. It’s still solid, but that rotation looks pretty vulnerable(after Cole).

Also, I am not sure how much flexibility Cashman will have at the deadline. Since they won’t go over the tax limit, they really won’t have much to spend. It will be interesting. I’m just surprised at all those models that have them running away with it. I expect the division to be more competitive than that.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jays and White Sox if you’re a baseball fan, are gonna provide a lot of intrigue and entertainment. Think the White Sox may be a little further along with the rotation
The White Sox have finally arrived. They made great trades while unloading Sale, Quintana, Eaton(others?) and the pieces they got back are finally ready for prime time. Definitely a team to watch and another loaded lineup.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. DJ was a steal at $12m and should continue to be for $15m. I’m not sure about all the years on that deal, but he’s fine and the Yankees can handle it.

Not trying to be a hater, but I see Cole and a bunch of question marks in that rotation. You have 4 guys(Severino, German, Kluber, Taillon) who haven’t really pitched and will all need to have their workloads managed. If healthy, I’m not sure how much over 100 innings any of them can go? I like the bullpen. It’s still solid, but that rotation looks pretty vulnerable(after Cole).

Also, I am not sure how much flexibility Cashman will have at the deadline. Since they won’t go over the tax limit, they really won’t have much to spend. It will be interesting. I’m just surprised at all those models that have them running away with it. I expect the division to be more competitive than that.

I agree, I’m not worried about a playoff spot, but I’m not writing them down as a lock for the division

we don’t talk about the Red Sox at all which is always dangerous. Yankees are like 20-5 vs them the last 2 seasons, and I don’t think that’s continuing to be honest. If Sale can be good, they still have a lineup that will score runs, they are not going to be the Orioles and the fact that everyone expects nothing is usually when the Sox surprise

The rotation is a question, but I’m intrigued because there are rotations with no upside, and a rotation that has a lotta questions, with a lotta upside, that’s how I see the Yankees, so I’m actually excited to see how it plays out

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I’m not worried about a playoff spot, but I’m not writing them down as a lock for the division

we don’t talk about the Red Sox at all which is always dangerous. Yankees are like 20-5 vs them the last 2 seasons, and I don’t think that’s continuing to be honest. If Sale can be good, they still have a lineup that will score runs, they are not going to be the Orioles and the fact that everyone expects nothing is usually when the Sox surprise

The rotation is a question, but I’m intrigued because there are rotations with no upside, and a rotation that has a lotta questions, with a lotta upside, that’s how I see the Yankees, so I’m actually excited to see how it plays out
I expect the Red Sox to be quite a bit better this year. And they really do some of their best work when they are off the radar and expectations are low. 2013 was the ultimate example of this. I’m not expecting anything like that this time, but last years’s team was missing Betts, Price, Sale and Erod and never even pretended to compete. The loss of Mookie impacted the whole lineup(especially JDM). I think they will be much more prepared this time around. I think they will score plenty of runs with Verdugo, Bogaerts, Devers and JDM at the top. Benintendi will hopefully have his head on straight this year and be useful again. There are some obvious holes in that lineup, however.

The pitching will be better, too. Sale and Erod didn’t pitch at all last year and those are their best 2 starters. Richards could be decent if healthy. Same with Eovaldi. Houck looked really good at the end of the season. There’s some upside there. Bullpen appears to be a mess, but who knows. They could hang around and cause some problems this year.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He loved that piñata Phil Hughes also.....
Did I ever mention the time I saw a YOUNG Phil Hughes having fish tacos with Reggie Jackson at a hole-in-the wall spot near my old place in Newport Beach? I think Hughes was from the area. My wife(probably just girlfriend at the time) is a Yankees fan and was freaking out. She wanted to go over to Reggie and ask for an autograph and I said to leave the guy alone and let him enjoy his tacos. She always held that against me. Brings it up every now and then. No idea what they were doing in a place like that anyway. Total locals spot.