• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL East Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it is partially his fault they are traveling to Oakland where they have zero chance of winning, in a one and done

Just look at tonight's game, they are actually starting Luis Severino, by far the worst starting pitcher in all of baseball, that's just a slap in the face of the entire fanbase

Severino has clearly lost it. Right now you have 3 reliable starters. What is Boone supposed to do? Scare Lance Lynn into pitching better?

It's strange that Severino has fallen off the cliff so drastically so early. He's only pitched 173 innings this year. And he's been basically shit since the All-Star break.

I think you are expecting Boone to pull a rabbit out of a hat right now and find 2 more reliable starters.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks are at 95 or 96 wins with a manager who actually know how to manage.

Division race would still be up for grabs.

So a good manager would have a Yankee team who lost their best player for basically the 2nd half of the season and whose best pitcher forgot how to pitch, winning about 105 games this year?

I think you are delusional. They are on pace to beat their expected win totals from every projection system, even PECOTA which had them at a ridiculously high 97 wins.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Severino has clearly lost it. Right now you have 3 reliable starters. What is Boone supposed to do? Scare Lance Lynn into pitching better?

It's strange that Severino has fallen off the cliff so drastically so early. He's only pitched 173 innings this year. And he's been basically shit since the All-Star break.

I think you are expecting Boone to pull a rabbit out of a hat right now and find 2 more reliable starters.

It's hard for me to quantify, because everything you're saying is correct

This team feels lifeless, lazy, fundamentally awful, far too often

How much of that is on Boone? Or just the mix of personalities on this team? I dunno, it's the strangest team to me, 100 wins, and I haven't felt since like June that it's a great team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard for me to quantify, because everything you're saying is correct

This team feels lifeless, lazy, fundamentally awful, far too often

How much of that is on Boone? Or just the mix of personalities on this team? I dunno, it's the strangest team to me, 100 wins, and I haven't felt since like June that it's a great team.

You might want to consider that part of the problem is that the Yankees haven't seriously threatened the Red Sox for the division since about June.

It's hard to feel excited or feel the team is playing with excitement when they are 10 games back of the division lead. And yet the Yanks have continued to play to a 100 win baseball season.

Maybe a great manager would get you 1 or 2 more wins. Maybe. But I think that Boone deserves a lot of credit, at least as much credit as baseball managers ever deserve, for keeping this team on a 100 win pace despite a number of key injuries.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Boone's fault that the Red Sox are on pace for one of the 5 best seasons in the history of baseball.

Meh. Gotta close the deal before you start throwing around " 5 best seasons in history".

Ask the 2001 Mariners.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Gotta close the deal before you start throwing around " 5 best seasons in history".

Ask the 2001 Mariners.

I'm talking about the regular season. I would have thought that was pretty clear. Post-season performance has little to do with the pennant race.

If the Red Sox go 11-6 in their remaining 17 games they would have a top 5 record of all time. 12-5 and they would be tied for 4th

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to consider that part of the problem is that the Yankees haven't seriously threatened the Red Sox for the division since about June.

It's hard to feel excited or feel the team is playing with excitement when they are 10 games back of the division lead. And yet the Yanks have continued to play to a 100 win baseball season.

Maybe a great manager would get you 1 or 2 more wins. Maybe. But I think that Boone deserves a lot of credit, at least as much credit as baseball managers ever deserve, for keeping this team on a 100 win pace despite a number of key injuries.

Youre right, and to add to it, in this day and age of analytics, especially such an analytical org like the Yankees? Its hard to gauge what decisions are "organizational" decisions, and what decisions are strictly Boone

Does Aaron Boone have the power to stop sending Severino out there? I doubt it

Did he have the power to pull the plug much sooner on Greg Bird? I doubt that too

How much input does he even have in who starts the WC game?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youre right, and to add to it, in this day and age of analytics, especially such an analytical org like the Yankees? Its hard to gauge what decisions are "organizational" decisions, and what decisions are strictly Boone

Does Aaron Boone have the power to stop sending Severino out there? I doubt it

Did he have the power to pull the plug much sooner on Greg Bird? I doubt that too

How much input does he even have in who starts the WC game?

I was at corporate luncheon a few years ago and Brian Cashman was the guest speaker. There was no press so he was pretty unfiltered.

He made it pretty clear that managers are just glorified babysitters and all the real decisions are done by the GM. This was during the Girardi era. He was BRUTAL about Torre.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at corporate luncheon a few years ago and Brian Cashman was the guest speaker. There was no press so he was pretty unfiltered.

He made it pretty clear that managers are just glorified babysitters and all the real decisions are done by the GM. This was during the Girardi era. He was BRUTAL about Torre.

I believe it now more than ever, it's why I'm hesitant to put all blame or give all credit to any manager in today's game

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be the tiebreaker between Yanks and As?

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about the regular season. I would have thought that was pretty clear. Post-season performance has little to do with the pennant race.

If the Red Sox go 11-6 in their remaining 17 games they would have a top 5 record of all time. 12-5 and they would be tied for 4th

That's terrific, but you said top 5 seasons in the history of baseball, not top regular seasons, so obviously not so clear.

IMO, to truly be considered a "forever team" if you will, you've got to bring home the hardware.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Susan Waldman

"looking at the remaining schedules, its hard to imagine the Yankees playing this WC game in the Bronx"

I hate Susan with a passion, but shes right

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this series with Baltimore, there is only one soft series on the A's schedule and that is a 3 game home set vs the Twins.

Otherwise, they play 3 in Tampa, 6 vs the Angels who currently lead the season series 7-6, & 3 against Seattle who lead the season series 9-7.

So basically they go on the road to play the red hot rays and play 9 games against 2 teams who they're currently 13-16 against.

This game being played in Oakland is far from a lock

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this series with Baltimore, there is only one soft series on the A's schedule and that is a 3 game home set vs the Twins.

Otherwise, they play 3 in Tampa, 6 vs the Angels who currently lead the season series 7-6, & 3 against Seattle who lead the season series 9-7.

So basically they go on the road to play the red hot rays and play 9 games against 2 teams who they're currently 13-16 against.

This game being played in Oakland is far from a lock

To be fair, the Angels stink and Seattle on the verge of mailing it in, I think that's already began

Just sayin

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the Angels stink and Seattle on the verge of mailing it in, I think that's already began

Just sayin

Angels split a 4 game set in Houston this month.....

Seattle split a 4 game set in Oakland this month....

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FML

Since the ASB, the Yankees are one game better than the Mets, and virtually tied since August 1st

Since his July 6th start, Luis Severino is 4-5 with a 6.94 ERA

When I say he is the worst pitcher in baseball, it is not at all hyperbole