• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Akers Got The Job

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....at least for the GB game per KNBR.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it's 4th and short, i'm screaming to go for it....(on GB's territory)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok fine, Akers won out and so be it.

we've got no excuses anyway, whether Aklers or Cundiff.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ChrisPozz:

Harbaugh sticking with Akers | CSN Bay Area

"I know it's been tough. It's not easy," Alex Smith said. "It seems you only get noticed when you go out there and fail. But everybody I think has respect for what Dave is about and stands for. He's gone through a rough patch, so you're happy to see him win the competition. And hopefully he gets back on track."

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Akers is the guy then cundiff needs to be cut now. Not many teams activate 2 kickers. It might be nice having the insurance but if they honestly are picking Akers then they should be confident enough not to have cundiff. It might be still in the back of Akers head when he is kicking that cundiff is there. Especially if both are active.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Akers is the guy then cundiff needs to be cut now. Not many teams activate 2 kickers. It might be nice having the insurance but if they honestly are picking Akers then they should be confident enough not to have cundiff. It might be still in the back of Akers head when he is kicking that cundiff is there. Especially if both are active.

This depends on his injury, to me. If he was able to tough it out and win the competition despite injury - that goes to show he's the guy and won't be a problem. But you never know - do you keep a backup when the starter has an injury over another backup when the healthy starter could get hit out of the game, just as easily? (It just takes one hit.) Kickers may be less likely to get hit, but when they do, that can be just as prohibitive if it's to the ankle or knee. I don't know the depth of roster, but I assume RJF is enough depth in case of Justin Smith leaving? The guy after RJF can change positions or do we have three in place?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You keep Cundiff because if Akers does struggle in a game you can turn to Cundiff and not be stuck with an ineffective kicker.

The problem with Akers is by all accounts his struggles are injury related and not mental (at least not mostly). So you never know when his problems are going to flare up.

The big positive in all of this is at least it's going to force Harbaugh to be more aggressive and not play for the FG that he tends to do too much of imo.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep Cundiff because if Akers does struggle in a game you can turn to Cundiff and not be stuck with an ineffective kicker.

The problem with Akers is by all accounts his struggles are injury related and not mental (at least not mostly). So you never know when his problems are going to flare up.

The big positive in all of this is at least it's going to force Harbaugh to be more aggressive and not play for the FG that he tends to do too much of imo.

I know Harbaugh ran a lot with Luck at Stanford, so when people criticized Alex Smith for the run-pass ratio (especially when Alex checks out of passing plays often) it seemed they didn't understand Harbaugh or Smith's audibles or our running strength of personnel (moreso before Hunter got injured).

But when it comes to settling for the FG, it could either be the distrust in Smith and then the inexperience of Kaep, or it could just be Harbaugh. I would have dismissed the distrust in Smith and just said that Harbaugh was conservative, but after he replaced Smith, that opened up that possibility for me. I don't mean to question Harbaugh or Smith or Harbaugh re: Smith, just wondering if the tendency is personnel based or coaching philosophy based (just get a score, no turnovers, or turnover on downs).

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if Seattle losing Hauschka and signing Longwell has anything to do with it? There wouldn't be a chance that Seattle could sign Cundiff, would it?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok fine, Akers won out and so be it.

we've got no excuses anyway, whether Aklers or Cundiff.

However it shook down, there wasn't going to be a choice any of us were going to be comfortable with.

I'd bet this competition was an attempt to build up Akers' confidence. Much like what Harbaugh did for Alex.

If the niners win AND Akers still struggles, I will be done with him, too.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad they went through the exercise....wish there was a better second option than Cundiff. Keeping him is the right move. If Akers struggles and we win, we'll have plan B next week and beyond.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
However it shook down, there wasn't going to be a choice any of us were going to be comfortable with.

I'd bet this competition was an attempt to build up Akers' confidence. Much like what Harbaugh did for Alex.

yep, not everyone would be happy no matter the decision. but then again this is typical for all topics here. :-)

whatever the reasons were, thats all i could've asked for really. at least they took action as opposed to keep hoping it improves? Akers may do well or he may miss again, but based on what they did last two weeks, it is the best information.

so be it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they believed that Cundiff would be good enough if Akers faltered, maybe. They wouldn't sign a guy that isn't very good just so Akers could beat him and be confident. But they might not want the Longwell type where it just brings on too much pressure, either - if that's the case (theory of building up Akers' confidence) - maybe Longwell asked for more than we had? I'm assuming Longwell was good, because I heard of him a lot, but not for bad things. He would have sent Minnesota to the SB if Favre hadn't thrown the INT. But if he's not good, nevermind what I said.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they believed that Cundiff would be good enough if Akers faltered, maybe. They wouldn't sign a guy that isn't very good just so Akers could beat him and be confident. But they might not want the Longwell type where it just brings on too much pressure, either - if that's the case (theory of building up Akers' confidence) - maybe Longwell asked for more than we had? I'm assuming Longwell was good, because I heard of him a lot, but not for bad things. He would have sent Minnesota to the SB if Favre hadn't thrown the INT. But if he's not good, nevermind what I said.

Maybe a confidence builder for whoever won?

Cundiff comes and outkicks Akers, then he is the kicker with some confidence going into this weeks game.

Harbaugh has said in the past that he thinks in house competition raises everyone's game.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Roman understands Akers range is inside 40 yards - we're good!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a confidence builder for whoever won?

Cundiff comes and outkicks Akers, then he is the kicker with some confidence going into this weeks game.

Harbaugh has said in the past that he thinks in house competition raises everyone's game.

Very true. Harbaugh does believe in that, so I could see the first sentence being true, too. So he must have believe in Cundiff to have that possibility. Iron sharpens iron (though I wouldn't call either iron per se).