• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West Roundup

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will catch up with them ...8-8

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Raiders squeaked out another late game win, while the Chargers flat out choked their game away in about the worst imaginable fashion. Mike McCoy has gone from having a nice mop while in Denver to a thinning, graying, frazzled head of hair coaching the Chuggers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders figuring out ways to win when it looks like they should be losing. 3 road wins is not too shabby.

The problem for the Raiders though is that they have been terrible at home for quite some time. Most teams enjoy a much better record at home but the Raiders have been the complete opposite. I think last year they went 4-4 on the road and 3-5 at home. So going to be interesting to see if they figure out how to actually take advantage of home field.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders have been involved in a 7 point win, a 7 point loss, and 2 1 point wins now. That defense, while it did seal the deal both against the Titans and Ravens, and both on the road, is going to be their undoing. They still have some prolific offenses on the schedule. Add to it they have some good defenses ahead that just may be able to slow down that offense. I did pick the Raiders to reach the playoffs and that's not out of the question. But this team has the look of an 8-8 or even 7-9 team with that defense.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona made it to the Super Bowl with a 9-7 team and NYG won it with a 9-7 team.
Winning the close one is the next step for a playoff team.
David Carr is the best QB in the AFCW right now. He def has some Brett Farve in him.
The games against OAK this year should finally be like the old days.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders have been involved in a 7 point win, a 7 point loss, and 2 1 point wins now. That defense, while it did seal the deal both against the Titans and Ravens, and both on the road, is going to be their undoing. They still have some prolific offenses on the schedule. Add to it they have some good defenses ahead that just may be able to slow down that offense. I did pick the Raiders to reach the playoffs and that's not out of the question. But this team has the look of an 8-8 or even 7-9 team with that defense.

Always a good read when scouring the site for some iknowftbll knowledge but me thinks your hatred of our AFCW bretheren has you off of your game slightly. Unfortunately, the Raiders are a good football team and will push the Broncos all year. I love and feed off of your disdain, however! Go Broncos!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a good read when scouring the site for some iknowftbll knowledge but me thinks your hatred of our AFCW bretheren has you off of your game slightly. Unfortunately, the Raiders are a good football team and will push the Broncos all year. I love and feed off of your disdain, however! Go Broncos!

Let's not forget, I did pick the Raiders to finish 10-6 and even win a playoff game. Yes, I loathe our AFC West rivals, but I don't think it interferes too much with my objectivity. The Raiders have a great offense, but a defense that has thus far not lived up to the hype. I think this team is capable of pushing the Broncos but at this point I don't consider them too great a threat. The Broncos are pretty good on offense themselves and far superior to the Raiders on defense. I still think my 12-4 pick for the Broncos is pretty reasonable, but I can see the Raiders falling short of that 10-6 I predicted if they don't start playing better defense.

Arizona made it to the Super Bowl with a 9-7 team and NYG won it with a 9-7 team.
Winning the close one is the next step for a playoff team.
David Carr is the best QB in the AFCW right now. He def has some Brett Farve in him.
The games against OAK this year should finally be like the old days.

Those teams both split some one-score games, with the Cardinals even posting a 3-4 record in the regular season in one-score games. An 8-8 or 9-7 record doesn't mean a team has played a lot of close games.

With that said, there is a small part of me that actually enjoys and is intrigued by these 9-7 teams that reach the Super Bowl. The Los Angeles Rams in 1979 also finished 9-7 and reached the Super Bowl. I wasn't around for that L.A. Rams team, but I was rooting hard for the Cardinals in 2008 (as a Rockies fan there was part of me was able to identify with and appreciate the "out of nowhere" nature of their Super Bowl run) and the Giants in 2011. It had nothing to do with dislike for either the Steelers or the Patriots in those respective years. There is just something awesome about a team just getting into the playoffs and taking it all the way to the Super Bowl.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget, I did pick the Raiders to finish 10-6 and even win a playoff game. Yes, I loathe our AFC West rivals, but I don't think it interferes too much with my objectivity. The Raiders have a great offense, but a defense that has thus far not lived up to the hype. I think this team is capable of pushing the Broncos but at this point I don't consider them too great a threat. The Broncos are pretty good on offense themselves and far superior to the Raiders on defense. I still think my 12-4 pick for the Broncos is pretty reasonable, but I can see the Raiders falling short of that 10-6 I predicted if they don't start playing better defense.

Those teams both split some one-score games, with the Cardinals even posting a 3-4 record in the regular season in one-score games. An 8-8 or 9-7 record doesn't mean a team has played a lot of close games.

With that said, there is a small part of me that actually enjoys and is intrigued by these 9-7 teams that reach the Super Bowl. The Los Angeles Rams in 1979 also finished 9-7 and reached the Super Bowl. I wasn't around for that L.A. Rams team, but I was rooting hard for the Cardinals in 2008 (as a Rockies fan there was part of me was able to identify with and appreciate the "out of nowhere" nature of their Super Bowl run) and the Giants in 2011. It had nothing to do with dislike for either the Steelers or the Patriots in those respective years. There is just something awesome about a team just getting into the playoffs and taking it all the way to the Super Bowl.

As always, I enjoy your AFCW banter and hope that you're right. I think the Raiders defense will continue to develop over the course of this season and still think they can be stiff competition for the Broncos. I hope you're more right than I am. :suds:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, I enjoy your AFCW banter and hope that you're right. I think the Raiders defense will continue to develop over the course of this season and still think they can be stiff competition for the Broncos. I hope you're more right than I am. :suds:

Del Rio took over play calling duties for the Raiders, so there's no telling what that could lead to. I suspect he takes his HC job in Oakland more seriously than he took his DC job in Denver. If that's the case the Raiders defense should have its bright spots this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's remember here though that the Raiders defense looking a little better was against the 2 offenses that have been the worst they have played this year. Baltimore is only 18th in scoring and Tennessee is dead last. The two good offenses they played lit them up big time. This Chargers game where they are 3rd in scoring this season should be a good test to see if the defense is more like that of the 1st 2 games or if they have actually turned some things around on that defense. Right now to me the Raiders look like they play up or down to the competition they are playing.

Now while I will begrudgingly say they are better than I thought they might be I don't think they have arrived near the level of the Broncos at this point. They have a good/great offense that can score at any time (even though points per game they are actually below the Broncos) and what I would consider an average defense. That combo will win you a decent number of games. I think they do finally finish with a winning record but I'm thinking like 9-7 type season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost picked the Chargers this weekend straight up against the Raiders. Let's see how long the Raiders can sustain the emotional pitch of these early games.

There is no doubt the Raiders are the team with the highest ceiling in the AFC West - Carr is getting better and they have playmakers on offense and defense. I think Rivers is the kind of guy who can take advantage of these Raiders if they don't play at a high level.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think back to before the season started of all the predictions we heard about our Broncos. Just some I was thinking about today that now just make me sit back and smile as some of these guys scramble to figure out how the Broncos are doing it are...

Colin Cowherd
Predicted the Broncos would fall off a cliff. Thought we would end up with a 6-10 record and said that the Broncos have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL.

SB Nation
Told people to go big on taking the under for 9.5 wins by Vegas for the season. Predicted us to vastly miss the playoffs.

Only 2 experts at NFL.com picked the Broncos. Now given we are still early in the year so things can turn but just seems so crazy that so many would pick against the Super Bowl champs.

There are so many others but I just remember watching the clip of Colin Cowherd especially giving all his reasons the Broncos would be down right terrible this year.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Cowherd
Predicted the Broncos would fall off a cliff. Thought we would end up with a 6-10 record and said that the Broncos have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL.

I will be shocked if we can't win 3 more to spoil this prediction.

There was quite a mixed bag of predictions on the Hoop.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be shocked if we can't win 3 more to spoil this prediction.

There was quite a mixed bag of predictions on the Hoop.

Yeah the General Board definitely was a showing of that National Perspective of the Broncos. Most predicting right at that 8-8 to 9-7 type range with some thinking better and some thinking worse but mostly just thinking they would be an average team. Like I said they could fall off a cliff as we saw in that 2009 season after starting 6-0 but this team just doesn't have that same vibe. They are not winning with ridiculous things happening in their favor like a tipped pass taken for 90 yards. We are starting to see them not just win but dominate teams on both sides of the ball. And honestly it has been fun to just sit back and watch as people try to explain how the Broncos continue to do this.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a busy week and I've not been able to put the amount of thought into the Broncos and AFC West this week as I normally do. With that said...

Chiefs roundup: This team is right where I suspected they'd be after 4 games: 2-2. With that said, I expected their offense to be better and their defense to be worse. Of course, that defense did look pretty bad against the Steelers. On AA and AP fans are already calling for Reid's head on a platter. This is especially satisfying after another off season of them chirping about how they were a lock to win the division.

Next up: The Chiefs enter their bye week and beyond that a big one with the Raiders looms. Reid tends to do well coming out of a bye week, and a win against the Raiders will have Chiefs fans back to proclaiming them a lock for the division title and Super Bowl run.

Chargers roundup: I've said it a couple times now: the Chargers struggle to close. They're 1-3 and in all three games have had a lead in the 4th they've let slip away. There are a couple things you can take away from that. The Chargers may well be a team that their opponents look past due to the record. That could give them a boost and it wouldn't surprise me to see them hang around and climb to a 5-5 record at some point along the way this season. What's more likely is their season spiral out of control and they are staring at another 4-12 finish.

Next up: The Chargers take on the Raiders. Neither team has played great defense but as we've seen the Chargers struggle to protect leads. That's not a good thing going against that Raiders offense.

Raiders roundup: The Raiders improve to 3-1 with a win over the Ravens in Baltimore. I've voiced my skepticism in their defense, but even in my skepticism I can acknowledge they've made a couple plays the past two weeks to preserve a win. That's something the Chargers can't say about their defense. This is a team I still think has playoff potential, though I remain highly skeptical of that defense.

Next up: The Raiders host the Chargers and if you're a gambler I suggest the over on this one.

Broncos roundup: I am pleasantly surprised that the media hasn't played up the Broncos "QB controversy." In fact I've seen very little coverage on the Broncos at all this week. We keep ESPN on all day in my office and honestly you'd never know the Broncos are 4-0. I mean with Tom Brady returning and OBJ on the sideline losing bouts with the practice net there are just some far more compelling stories than a Broncos team that has defied pundits' expectations in a 4-0 start.

Next up: Huge matchup with the Falcons and the league's top offense. The Falcons are averaging 38 PPG, but allowing 31 PPG. I think there's potential the Broncos offense can score big, while I am looking forward to seeing how the defense responds to this challenge. I'll add this: I'm glad this one is in Denver.

While I'm at it...

Raiders 35, Chargers 27. Skeptical as I am about the Raiders defense, they can close while the Chargers can't. I do think the Chargers get in their licks, but they don't have the defense to stop that Raiders offense.

Broncos 31, Falcons 23. Our defense is in for a tough one but honestly I think the Falcons offense is in for a long day as well. I just don't think the Falcons have faced a defense that can get it done on all levels the way the Broncos do. With that said, I do think they may be able to exploit our run defense, but even that won't be enough.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD just lost their best CB Verrett. Would not be surprised to see a QB drafted in SD next year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD just lost their best CB Verrett. Would not be surprised to see a QB drafted in SD next year.

Agree with this. IF they have a top-5 pick they will be looking to do what they did when they got Rivers yet had Drew Brees on the roster. They know that there is a good chance Rivers maybe has 2 more seasons in him and how often do you have a top-5 pick? Well I guess that depends which team you ask as the Broncos I think have only had one a few times but I know since 1992 only once and we took Von Miller.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a busy week and I've not been able to put the amount of thought into the Broncos and AFC West this week as I normally do. With that said...

Chiefs roundup: This team is right where I suspected they'd be after 4 games: 2-2. With that said, I expected their offense to be better and their defense to be worse. Of course, that defense did look pretty bad against the Steelers. On AA and AP fans are already calling for Reid's head on a platter. This is especially satisfying after another off season of them chirping about how they were a lock to win the division.

Next up: The Chiefs enter their bye week and beyond that a big one with the Raiders looms. Reid tends to do well coming out of a bye week, and a win against the Raiders will have Chiefs fans back to proclaiming them a lock for the division title and Super Bowl run.

Chargers roundup: I've said it a couple times now: the Chargers struggle to close. They're 1-3 and in all three games have had a lead in the 4th they've let slip away. There are a couple things you can take away from that. The Chargers may well be a team that their opponents look past due to the record. That could give them a boost and it wouldn't surprise me to see them hang around and climb to a 5-5 record at some point along the way this season. What's more likely is their season spiral out of control and they are staring at another 4-12 finish.

Next up: The Chargers take on the Raiders. Neither team has played great defense but as we've seen the Chargers struggle to protect leads. That's not a good thing going against that Raiders offense.

Raiders roundup: The Raiders improve to 3-1 with a win over the Ravens in Baltimore. I've voiced my skepticism in their defense, but even in my skepticism I can acknowledge they've made a couple plays the past two weeks to preserve a win. That's something the Chargers can't say about their defense. This is a team I still think has playoff potential, though I remain highly skeptical of that defense.

Next up: The Raiders host the Chargers and if you're a gambler I suggest the over on this one.

Broncos roundup: I am pleasantly surprised that the media hasn't played up the Broncos "QB controversy." In fact I've seen very little coverage on the Broncos at all this week. We keep ESPN on all day in my office and honestly you'd never know the Broncos are 4-0. I mean with Tom Brady returning and OBJ on the sideline losing bouts with the practice net there are just some far more compelling stories than a Broncos team that has defied pundits' expectations in a 4-0 start.

Next up: Huge matchup with the Falcons and the league's top offense. The Falcons are averaging 38 PPG, but allowing 31 PPG. I think there's potential the Broncos offense can score big, while I am looking forward to seeing how the defense responds to this challenge. I'll add this: I'm glad this one is in Denver.

While I'm at it...

Raiders 35, Chargers 27. Skeptical as I am about the Raiders defense, they can close while the Chargers can't. I do think the Chargers get in their licks, but they don't have the defense to stop that Raiders offense.

Broncos 31, Falcons 23. Our defense is in for a tough one but honestly I think the Falcons offense is in for a long day as well. I just don't think the Falcons have faced a defense that can get it done on all levels the way the Broncos do. With that said, I do think they may be able to exploit our run defense, but even that won't be enough.

Always look forward to the weekly updates and thoughts on the AFC West. I honestly was picking the Chargers until the news about Verrett came out. I thought he could handle a guy like Cooper and do pretty well and I thought the Chargers have enough on both sides of the ball to keep things interesting. But that news is just too big of a blow against a team that loves to throw the ball around.

I will say I am interested mostly to see how the Raiders defense does in this one. Yes they have had a couple of good weeks here but they have both been against bottom-10 scoring offenses in the Titans and Ravens. So not exactly powerhouse offenses. So if they can shut down the Chargers on offense then it would go a long way in showing me that this defense has actually gotten a little better than what we saw the first couple of weeks. Otherwise right back to where they were and me thinking they will be a team that has benefited from an easy early schedule when it comes to defenses they have faced. Really though for the Raiders not sure we will know much until they get into the heart of their schedule. The Chiefs next week will be a good one. Then followed by 2 straight trips to the East Coast followed by 4 straight home games against some pretty tough teams in Broncos, Texans, Panthers, and Bills. That 4 game home stretch will be huge. Have to go at least 2-2 in my opinion.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs next week will be a good one. Then followed by 2 straight trips to the East Coast followed by 4 straight home games against some pretty tough teams in Broncos, Texans, Panthers, and Bills. That 4 game home stretch will be huge. Have to go at least 2-2 in my opinion.

Don't forget, one of those "home" games is actually in Mexico City. The Raiders play the Texans down there this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget, one of those "home" games is actually in Mexico City. The Raiders play the Texans down there this year.

Ahh good point forgot about that. Honestly at this point it really is hard to tell much. 4-games is still a small sample size. I would say we can read into what the Broncos defense has been doing because this is a continuation of what they did last year. Throw in the QB's they have faced have fared much better against other teams. So I think we can say with confidence our defense is a strong unit. Offensively we are still learning. So far they have played Indy (25th ranked defense), Tampa (15th), Carolina (12th), and Cincy (9th). That is in total yards given up. Points per game Cincinnati is the only unit in the top half of the league. So again still learning whether it has been more opponent based or if this unit really is a top-10 unit in the NFL.