• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Advice Needed on Hanguns

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With my wife now retired (I still word), and at home full-time, we are going to purchase a handgun. We both have some experience with guns and have taken the NRA safety course (but that was decades ago). We are going to sign up to take the safety course again and take a conceal/carry class. So the questions are:
1) Is it a good idea to shop around for a used handgun, or stick with new?
2) What's a good handgun for self protection? We don't have kids but do have nieces/nephews and grandkids around sometimes. Is it best to get a gun safe, trigger lock, or both to ensure gun safety when the kids are around?
3) Are there any specific gun brands or types to avoid?
Thanks for the input!

Without reading all the other responses or comments...

Go to a range and shoot some rentals to see what fits you hands. Where is the mag release, how easy is it to rack the slide, do you like the safety, how well do you shoot it, how manageable is the recoil, how quick can you find the sights. Then make a decision

My wife really prefers a Glock 43, but she shoots the S&W Shield much better...

Now I'll read the other comments...

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought first firearm the other week, just before the stay at home orders started. Got a S&W J model (really small and light for carry and conceal if needed), 38 special p+ hollow point ammo and with laser grip. If you can afford, having a laser on where you are pin pointing your aim is a really nice feature.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been some great answers here already but remember that there's no single "This is the best home defense handgun" answer because each person is different. The best thing to do is check to see if any of the local gun shops has a range and will allow you and your wife to "test drive" something before you buy. What someone else thinks is a good answer may not be comfortable for you, and comfort is important.

One problem you are going to find hard to overcome is the fact that what you are comfortable with is very likely not going to be the same as what your wife is comfortable with, especially if there is a considerable size difference. With me and my wife I have close to a foot in height and over 100lbs in weight, but the biggest difference is hand size, mine is twice her size, and arm length Her handguns are uncomfortable for me to shoot, and she struggles with the grips on mine. My primary home defense weapon is my Winchester 1300 pump shotgun, but she really struggles controlling it because of her size and arm length. The only gun in our house that both of us are comfortable with is her AR-15 and that's because of the telescoping stock that can be adjusted to fit her or me in seconds and the foregrip on the lower rail.

The biggest thing is when you do find something that works for you don't just buy it and stick in the safe until it's time to use it in an emergency. Initially shoot several boxes of ammo through it each, then several times a year shoot another box. Shooting is a skill, and like any skill it erodes if it's not being used. Use man-sized silhouette or photo targets. Don't worry as much about hitting the bullseye as much as putting all your rounds in the kill zone. Functional accuracy rather than pinpoint accuracy, a gun fight is only scored by the elimination of the target.

Of the guns mentioned I really like the GP100. It's reasonably priced, has been around for a while and the ability to shoot either .357 or .38 ammo gives it some versatility, especially while shooting at the range.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a smaller home and from what I have read and what Innermind says, I think we are going to be looking at a .38 revolver.

I agree with others.
Go for a .357 model.

You can shoot .38 in a .357, but you can't shoot .357 in a .38.

They are essentially the same size round, but sorta like the .357 is the high performance version.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot, shoot, shoot...then shoot some more.

Then....buy another gun.

And another.

And...

True. Especially if the other gun is a shotgun or a rifle.

Like the saying goes, a handgun is used to fight your way to your long gun.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot, shoot, shoot...then shoot some more.

Then....buy another gun.

And another.

And...

Ha, was just thinking I'll be getting another. May go with semi auto over revolver this next time.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how popular this will be, but here goes.
While agree with the thought of going to a range to try out lots of styles and all, I don't find it as important as others do. In most cases, whatever you get you will love. You can find great things about most guns. I have 5 handguns, all very different, and I could make a case for each one being a great first gun.
Maybe I just haven't yet met a gun I did not like.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, was just thinking I'll be getting another. May go with semi auto over revolver this next time.
I don't know. I saw a youtube video years ago of an Army Ranger sniper taking out a Taliban terrorist with a 50 CAL rifle and I can remember seeing limbs flying around. That might be fun.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I saw a youtube video years ago of an Army Ranger sniper taking out a Taliban terrorist with a 50 CAL rifle and I can remember seeing limbs flying around. That might be fun.

Well, If I want to start "sniping" that my be worth a look. Think I'll stay with handgun for now. Most gun fights are within 10-15 feet.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With my wife now retired (I still word), and at home full-time, we are going to purchase a handgun. We both have some experience with guns and have taken the NRA safety course (but that was decades ago). We are going to sign up to take the safety course again and take a conceal/carry class. So the questions are:
2) What's a good handgun for self protection? We don't have kids but do have nieces/nephews and grandkids around sometimes. Is it best to get a gun safe, trigger lock, or both to ensure gun safety when the kids are around?
Thanks for the input!

1). Have either one of you shot lately, especially her? If not investing in a .22 would be wise to get used to shooting again. Especially for her most women don't go to the range with a .380 or above and do well with it, starting out smaller and working up has worked well for all of the women I've taught how to shoot.

2). No matter what you buy it has to feel balanced and fits your hand well, if it doesn't you aren't going to shoot worth a damn with it. Also men's and women's hands are different (the size/strength) the double stack that fits your hand probably won't fit her hand. So either "you" compromise for her or consider one for you and one for her.

3). I'm a firm believer in if you buy quality it won't fail you when the time comes, stay away from some of the cheaper off brands unless you plan on making it a learner/range queen weapon. Me I love Sigs they fit my hand like a glove, can shoot tacks, if you go into hell with one it will get you home, easy to clean and maintain and have many, many options in their lineup.

4). Another thing to consider is a weapon with/without a safety. Me personally I prefer without (Sigs) because it's one thing less to have to worry about if the need arises. Sigs safety is their double action, it's fairly significant which means you have to want to be firing the weapon no accidental touch offs.

5). New or used, your preference. "Most" used weapons are broken in and in good shape and shouldn't be an issue, buying used from a dealer should ensure the weapon is functioning properly. I have only bought 2 brand new weapons in my lifetime the rest have all been used weapons and have had no issues with them whatsoever. Bought surplus weapons for all 3 of my daughters and they shoot the hell out of them. I just have them bring them to me once a year so that I can go thru them and clean them and give them back. A lot of surplus weapons look kinda ragged out (holster wear) but once you open one up most are pristine inside and have only seen a couple hundred rounds at most (for the most part). I bought them all Sig P6s (which is the West German police variant of the Sig P228) for right around $325 apiece, new P228s are going for close to $1K.

Whatever you decide to do take your time and do it with a purpose in mind, don't jump in headfirst and end up with a weapon neither one of you can stand and then you have to take a loss to offload it..... happy shooting...

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input!

Shield 9mm M&P EZ.

New gun since Dec '19.

EZ because it's easier to rack a round and also has an over sized safety that you can't miss in a critical situation. In addition, it's magazine is an ez loader with a tab that allows for quicker loading.
Has a grip safety also, which will protect the kids from firing it in theory, by accident.

Good luck.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with most of what you said, I'd advise him to buy a .22 pistol as well. Fun to shoot and cheap ammo. This would be above and beyond whichever revolver they choose.

A shotgun would be a good purchase too.
I bought a 1911 style Rock Island Armory .22 mag pistol not too long ago and it's probably the easiest thing to shoot I've ever tried. My only issue with it is that it had failure to feed problems for the first 500 or so rounds and they put a piece on one of the ends that was so tight that I had to bring it into a gunsmith to loosen because I didn't have anything to get it. I bent a pair of pliers attempting to get it loose lol. Shoots like a dream now though.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With my wife now retired (I still work), and at home full-time, we are going to purchase a handgun. What's a good handgun for self protection?
You need a gun with stopping power like the Ruger SP101...

s1.png

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need a gun with stopping power like the Ruger SP101...

s1.png
I have a SP101 but it has a hammer. I strongly suggest upgrading the front sights to something with tritium because it can be tough to line up right away in daylight with no pressure of your life on the line. Mine was black on black and not the silver in this picture though. I also upgraded the springs to a Wilson Combat custom tune with a ten pound hammer and spring. I really like it.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input!
Are those the laser rifles solo uses?

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shield 9mm M&P EZ.

New gun since Dec '19.

EZ because it's easier to rack a round and also has an over sized safety that you can't miss in a critical situation. In addition, it's magazine is an ez loader with a tab that allows for quicker loading.
Has a grip safety also, which will protect the kids from firing it in theory, by accident.

Good luck.
My mom bought one of these a month or so ago. She has arthritis and this gun is so easy to use. Simple to load the ammo in the clip and the slide is easy too .. made me a bit jealous.