• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

acc moving to 30 second shot clock

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in a preseason experiment. hopefully the experiment turns into a new rule quickly

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this and that will be fine. KenPom.com ranks the ACC as having 61.8 possessions per league game on average while the rest of the nation is at 66 possessions per game, all with the 35 second clock. By speeding up the game five touches I'm sure there will be more turnovers. But a 30 second shot clock is more than fair.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just change the whole NCAA to 30 seconds. No need to test it. Let's be real.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Yes" to shorter shot clock.
"No" to more personal fouls.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will only speed up the game more. I am for it!

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the amount of phantom fouls called in college I would like to see 6 personal fouls as well

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 second shot clocks and 6 personal fouls per player. Make it happen, NCAA.

I never understood why people have such a hard on about 6 fouls. If you think 6 is good for the NBA, you have to think 5 is good for the NCAA. 48 min, 6 fouls is the same thing as 40 minutes, 5 fouls. Not that I would ever encourage making rules decisions from the joke of a league the NBA has become.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah...a "Test"...har dee har

Will a 30-sec shot clock speed up the game?
Will more points be scored?
Will spectators, fans and advertising sponsors 'enjoy the experience' more if the contest is sped up and more points are scored?

vexing, monumental questions screaming for answers...fer sure.
(ow, I just nipped the tip of my tongue.)

Let's TEST IT! Let's test it using the premier cbb conference in the country...and let's only test it in exhibition games against D2/D3 opponents.

<sfx: chorus of harumphs>

Predicted results: The TEST will be blazingly successful - proving that a 30-sec shot clock results in more possessions and higher point totals when the likes of Duke plays the likes of StonyBrook Christian Academy.

:L

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
78% in favor of a 30 sec clock in general.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 54

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The test run is almost guaranteed success.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, college basketball won't be infinitely better for it. The number of possessions will increase, but teams aren't going to have better possessions. Shooting will still be an issue, but people will point to scoring going up even a little.

If it's going to happen, then it's going to happen. But, I don't know I'm not all in.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The test run is almost guaranteed success.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, college basketball won't be infinitely better for it. The number of possessions will increase, but teams aren't going to have better possessions. Shooting will still be an issue, but people will point to scoring going up even a little.

If it's going to happen, then it's going to happen. But, I don't know I'm not all in.

Anything to get teams in their offense quicker. I'm sick of watching a large percentage of teams standing out by half court dribbling out the first 20 seconds of the possession. That is the one thing I actually liked about watching a few of the women's tourney games. They didn't waste time.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the amount of phantom fouls called in college I would like to see 6 personal fouls as well

Adding more personal fouls just gives them an excuse to call more questionable stuff, and puts less accountability on the refs.

Fast forward to ESPN in a few years and some analyst is making even more excuses for the refs. "Well, it was clearly a bad call, but since he's still got 7 more fouls to give it really won't impact the game." Screw that.

Bad calls should affect the game because calls (bad or good) are important. Trivializing the officiating misses the point entirely.

The problem isn't guys fouling out of games. That is just a symptom. So you don't fix it by making it harder for guys to foul out of games. You fix it by fixing the poor officiating in the first place.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood why people have such a hard on about 6 fouls. If you think 6 is good for the NBA, you have to think 5 is good for the NCAA. 48 min, 6 fouls is the same thing as 40 minutes, 5 fouls. Not that I would ever encourage making rules decisions from the joke of a league the NBA has become.

Per minute played, the NBA and NCAA are the same. (1 foul for every 8 minutes of regulation game play)

If you look at it in terms of full shot clock possessions, then NCAA currently has more fouls to give per possession than the NCAA, even if they reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding more personal fouls just gives them an excuse to call more questionable stuff, and puts less accountability on the refs.

Fast forward to ESPN in a few years and some analyst is making even more excuses for the refs. "Well, it was clearly a bad call, but since he's still got 7 more fouls to give it really won't impact the game." Screw that.

Bad calls should affect the game because calls (bad or good) are important. Trivializing the officiating misses the point entirely.

The problem isn't guys fouling out of games. That is just a symptom. So you don't fix it by making it harder for guys to foul out of games. You fix it by fixing the poor officiating in the first place.

the conferences and the ncaa have done nothing to fix poor officiating. I want to watch the best players in college on the floor not sitting on the bench half of the afternoon because they got 2 or 3 horrible calls called on them. it is basically common knowledge that the bozo officials are influenced heavily by home crowds and big name coaches. are u anti-replay as well?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per minute played, the NBA and NCAA are the same. (1 foul for every 8 minutes of regulation game play)

If you look at it in terms of full shot clock possessions, then NCAA currently has more fouls to give per possession than the NCAA, even if they reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds.

nba refs>ncaa refs and it's not close

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the conferences and the ncaa have done nothing to fix poor officiating. I want to watch the best players in college on the floor not sitting on the bench half of the afternoon because they got 2 or 3 horrible calls called on them. it is basically common knowledge that the bozo officials are influenced heavily by home crowds and big name coaches. are u anti-replay as well?

I'm not really interested in what their track record is on trying to fix the problem. The problem is the officiating and that's what needs to be fixed, first and foremost. If my street is covered in potholes, my concern is getting the potholes repaired regardless of how long it's taken them to get around to it or how many times they've screwed it up in the past. I'm not interested in the city buying me new shocks for my car so I don't notice the potholes as much, I want the damn potholes fixed. That's the only acceptable solution to that problem.

Adding additional fouls doesn't make the officiating better, it just makes them less accountable for bad calls. Not to mention I'd much rather see the best players in college basketball actually playing basketball, instead of standing at a freethrow line for half the night because now a team has a dozen more fouls. When you increase the number of fouls per player, you increase the number of fouls per game. I have no interest in watching a hackfest for two and a half hours.

As far as the officiating is now, I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be. Most people generally just watch "their" team play, and they are typically about as fair and balanced as Fox News when it comes to determining how a game was called involving "their" team. Watch a game with fans from Team A and you'll hear nothing but complaining about how the refs are screwing their team and Team B gets all the calls. Watch the same game with Team B fans and it's the exact opposite. Point is every time you're all pissed off because your favorite player is sitting on the bench with 2 fouls in the first half, it's probably because he fouled someone, twice, not because the refs suck. Does it happen sometimes? Sure. But not as much as people like to make it out.

I don't have a huge issue with refs favoring a home team, if they're just giving them the benefit of the doubt on more 50/50 calls. If they're making egregiously bad calls (which again is much more rare than most fans would have you believe) then they should be fined/suspended/fired, whatever it takes to get that to stop, but I have no problem with giving the home team a slight edge. Refs are human. Humans have bias. To try and ignore that is foolish. Just figure out what you can live with and move on.

As far as replay goes, I don't have a huge issue with it in general, but I don't want to watch a game where every play is reviewed, any more than I want to watch a game where a player is fouled on every play (if it's called or not)