• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC-B1G Challenge

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They want to fill their stadium.

Well
Yeah.

I just have a hard time believing a school thats alrady 20 million ( 32 million after this year since they dont get their ACC shared cash ) is also willing to pay a 50 million exit fee unless they know they are making that money back sooner rather than later. IF its only a couple million a year itd take them 40+ years to recoup that. No way thats right IMO.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like you as a poster and all but when it comes to financial analysis I have to go with what Forbes is saying.

It is probably a better fit and it is good for the B1G to get into the Dc Market (though we have bad the Big network since it came out on DtV and Fios at least) but the ACC is doing just fine financially. I would still hop because I think it would help the football team but meh, ACC ain't the AAC.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like you as a poster and all but when it comes to financial analysis I have to go with what Forbes is saying.

It is probably a better fit and it is good for the B1G to get into the Dc Market (though we have bad the Big network since it came out on DtV and Fios at least) but the ACC is doing just fine financially. I would still hop because I think it would help the football team but meh, ACC ain't the AAC.

Oh I know the ACC is doing fine. Im not really speaking to the athletic revenue. More the research monies. Youd know better than me I suppose but just seems like a strange jump if it isnt a huge monetary difference. Even if you make 5 mill more per year Im not sure waiting 10 years to gain back your exit fee is solid financial planning. WOuld be interesting to see a breakdown of ALL monies involved. May be eye opening.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports conference affiliation really has zero impact on academic partnerships. CIC claims x% of this and x% of they nationally which sounds impressive until you consider the size of and number of large state schools that happen to be a part of it. It is not like Virginia Tech (for example) is going to cut ties to Maryland on the vet school because Maryland switched academic conferences. Academic money blows away athletic money, and it is based on relationships that go back decades. It doesn't just move as a sports team moves conferences. Think about that just on its surface. I'm sure they did it for a good reason but I think it involves filling their stadium and confidence that the buyout won't be held up (and I doubt it will)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think they thought a long term investment in the Midwest as a potential area of influence compared to the midatlantic was better, regarding research, or (more likely) KNOWS they will not lose their connections to the schools in the midatlantic and want to expand, which is the exact argument I made in pitching Virginia Tech to the B1G.

See, I should run a school....

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep Maryland and we'll throw Rutgers in there for you guys. :nod:

Maryland and Rutgers joining the B1G were the price of admission to a huge, rich television audience for the BTN. Long-term benefits far outstrip short-term returns, blah blah...

as for the thread's subject-at-hand, the B1G's fortunate to have the Terps on it's side of the Challenge from here on out. (Rutgers might take a little more work.)

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland and Rutgers joining the B1G were the price of admission to a huge, rich television audience for the BTN. Long-term benefits far outstrip short-term returns, blah blah...

as for the thread's subject-at-hand, the B1G's fortunate to have the Terps on it's side of the Challenge from here on out. (Rutgers might take a little more work.)

Just pair Maryland with VTech and Rutgers with Clemson or Miami. The B1G scores a split, minimum.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You add Maryland. We added Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville.

Just sayin.....

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see Maryland being a worthwhile grab, I just don't think anyone in New York really cares about Rutgers. They seem more like an ACC level program.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Maryland being a worthwhile grab, I just don't think anyone in New York really cares about Rutgers. They seem more like an ACC level program.

The people who study these things say Rutgers is by far the biggest fanbase in NYC area (as in, 3 times bigger than the next biggest fanbase, Notre Dame). For whatever reason, they've never really made athletics a priority. There is definitely potential.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, they seem more like a B1G program. Kind of like Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern. Yeah.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Like everyone keeps saying, this was definitely all about TV.

Yeah. So how many TV audience records have Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern football games broken? Yeah, same as Rutgers. Zero. They'll fit right in.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC Homerism is like cheering for Getty Oil...

to out-earn Exxon/Mobil.

You add Maryland. We added Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville.

Just sayin.....

ACC added 3½ great schools; and relies of Raycom to sell/distribute the ACC Brand to whoever they can.

B1G added 2 great schools; plus several million new television households to the conference's already massively-profitable, hugely-influential, dedicated BTNetwork - to promote the B1G brand to the largest conference 'audience' in the country 24/7.

just sayin

:suds:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to out-earn Exxon/Mobil.

ACC added 3½ great schools; and relies of Raycom to sell/distribute the ACC Brand to whoever they can.

B1G added 2 great schools; plus several million new television households to the conference's already massively-profitable, hugely-influential, dedicated BTNetwork - to promote the B1G brand to the largest conference 'audience' in the country 24/7.

just sayin

1. This was a response to what Maryland added Fromm competitive standpoint to the ACC-B1G challenge.

2. People keep talking about adding this huge new market, but I live in DC and the b1G network has been on here since its inception, so I don't buy that. You already had this market. I can't speak to NYC.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to out-earn Exxon/Mobil.

just sayin

Yeah, I agree. Tobad you guys couldn't get ND to play ball with you. Better luck when the current contract runs out! :kidding:

You do realize that Louisville BB and ND football are far, far better draws than Rutgers and Maryland, right?

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. This was a response to what Maryland added Fromm competitive standpoint to the ACC-B1G challenge.

2. People keep talking about adding this huge new market, but I live in DC and the b1G network has been on here since its inception, so I don't buy that. You already had this market. I can't speak to NYC.

Oops. Could the mighty moguls of the B1G network have made a HUGE mistake? Perish the thought! :lol:

We actually get the B1G network down here in Atlanta, too. So they don't really need GT, either. (Of course nobody watches it! Unless one of them is playing ND. LOL)