• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

About $20k for a used car - which one??

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and you can include Honda with Acura on that list. I have an Acura TSX, which I bought new for around $26K a few years back, and depending on the offer you get for your trade in car, you can get it in the $20K ballpark. Many of the replacement parts are Honda brand, so it's not too pricey when compared to an Audi or MB type car. The same probably goes with Infiniti and Lexus as you mentioned.

You can never go wrong with a Honda product so from that standpoint I agree with you on the Acura line as they share platforms, and many parts with the Honda brand.

Side note...There are a lot of unit sales in the class. I've wondered why wouldn't Honda with it's racing heritage wouldn't have Acura build a RWD car to compete with the BMW 3...even GM realized with the ATS, if you want to compete with the bimmer 3 series, you need a RWD transmission base car. Volvo never learned that.

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You can never go wrong with a Honda product so from that standpoint I agree with you on the Acura line as they share platforms, and many parts with the Honda brand.

Side note...There are a lot of unit sales in the class. I've wondered why wouldn't Honda with it's racing heritage wouldn't have Acura build a RWD car to compete with the BMW 3...even GM realized with the ATS, if you want to compete with the bimmer 3 series, you need a RWD transmission base car. Volvo never learned that.

Anything RWD and sporty. Acura has blown it, they don`t even have a luxury variant of the s2000 or anything sporty. Like lincoln, they have stayed put while cadillac put itself in the league of MB and BMW with its V series, xlr ect. I think Hyundai is probably ahead of acura at this moment though a new nsx can`t be far. Lexus has definitely taken cue

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh, having replaced MANY a hubs on those twin i-beams I can say that they are awesome but do a solid axle swap if you are planning on doing any trails or crawling. Money well spent :suds:

if a guy were to use his rig to say drive 200 miles to elk camp but still need it to perform off road....would you still suggest that swap?

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best bet is to actually buy a good classic car that has already depreciated and now has started to go back up.

I've always said that it would be awesome to get a loan for $20k to buy a used car, and use that money to fully restore and update something like a '65 mustang. Front clip, crate FI 302, new axle in the back, aftermarket A/C and seats. All that would be around 20k, wouldn't depreciate, and would be like a new car. :suds:

like an old jeep wagoneer?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pontiac G8 GT.
Best car i've owned.

(and its a HELLUVA lot of fun to drive) (if you're in to that S.O.T.P. action that is)

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like an old jeep wagoneer?

Thing's a beast. It already has the big Dana axle and is beefy as fuck. New engine, brakes, suspension and a couple other little things and go beat the piss out of it. All the candy-ass stuff was re-done on mine (leather interior, updated a/c, etc) which you wouldn't need.

[YOUTUBE]xa-silxa450[/YOUTUBE]

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a guy were to use his rig to say drive 200 miles to elk camp but still need it to perform off road....would you still suggest that swap?

If you are driving it, no. If you are trailering it to rock crawl or mud bog, yes.

It rode well on the road, but that IFS rode better.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice, I can get you a good deal on a "Ferrari"

83815769_zpsa05423b9.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything RWD and sporty. Acura has blown it, they don`t even have a luxury variant of the s2000 or anything sporty. Like lincoln, they have stayed put while cadillac put itself in the league of MB and BMW with its V series, xlr ect. I think Hyundai is probably ahead of acura at this moment though a new nsx can`t be far. Lexus has definitely taken cue

They have...the TL lags way behind the BMW 3, MB C300, Audi, A4, G37, Lexus IS 250/350 in terms of performance, not not price...go figure.

And the RLX is even more misplaced imo...too small for a real family sedan, but more upscale than the TL...the TSX, and MDX seem to be a lot more competitive vehicles...it's almost as if Honda is getting the unit sales they want from the Honda brand and just wants to have a vehicle in the luxury price point and not worry too much about how it compares to the competition...sounds like GM's mindset in the 60s.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love my Q7, fwiw.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously I just bought a brand new '14 Mazda 6 for 20k. I wanted something for the drive every day and didn't want to go high end and I care nothing about all the extras.
If you are still looking think about test driving one of these.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I just can't...I'm too "special."

LOL....I guess or are you very full of yourself and need the "luxory"?

But seriously take the Ford Flex and Jeep off your list. Jeeps at that year are still trouble and the Ford Flex isn't bad but basically is a Ford Taurus that looks like a hearse.