• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A-Rod to the Sox.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN will air a new documentary "The Deal: Alex Rodriguez to the Boston Red Sox".

Fun to imagine what would have happened if the Players Association accepted the contract.

screen_shot_2014-02-11_at_2.13.46_pm.0_standard_709.0.png

"Alex really, really, really wanted to become a Red Sox," said director Colin Barnicle. "Now, ten years later, you only see him as a Yankee, but back then, he said, "I really want to become a Boston Red Sox and lead them to the championship and have that rivalry with Derek Jeter who I never really challenged out in Seattle."

Alex Rodriguez really, really wanted to be a Red Sox - Over the Monster

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would they have moved Nomar off SS? The Sox did trade him later that year.

Wasn't this trade A Rod for Manny straight up?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and no matter what any Red Sox fan tells you, they really, really wanted him too.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and no matter what any Red Sox fan tells you, they really, really wanted him too.

But. It does not change one simple fact. Nobody wants A Rod as much as,.........................A Rod.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox do a better job at covering up steroid users.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-wad NEVER failed a recent drug test as far as I know. Shot down by some owner of a chemie plant operating in S Flo?

Guess all it takes these days in the MLB to convict a player is a hearsay story from a plea-reduced informant.

I am not an A-wad fan, but understand where he is coming from.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox do a better job at covering up steroid users.

They don't even need to. They're just issued a free pass. The other one is given to the St. Louis Cardinals.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You bet. At the time he was already talked about as possibly the greatest of all time.

I was just amazed that Theo got him to agree to reduce his contract. (He told him he could make-up the difference with marketing deals in Boston)... They tried to explain the Marketing possibilites to the Union, but they just laughed....

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-wad NEVER failed a recent drug test as far as I know. Shot down by some owner of a chemie plant operating in S Flo?

Guess all it takes these days in the MLB to convict a player is a hearsay story from a plea-reduced informant.

I am not an A-wad fan, but understand where he is coming from.

Dude is guilty as hell and they had a mountain of evidence on him. And it wasn't just drug use either.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't even need to. They're just issued a free pass. The other one is given to the St. Louis Cardinals.

Well, it is really up to the players to hide it.... Everyone was issued a free pass back then.

If you fail a test now (or buy from an idiot in Miami), you're just stupid....

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent memory. Texas had asked for Nomar, but Boston countered with Manny. When that deal was accepted, Boston worked out another deal to trade Nomar to Chicago for Maglio Ordonez....

Imagine that?

Here is another good article about the deals:
Alex Rodriguez and Boston Red Sox -- What if? - ESPN Boston

I didn't know they were trading Nomar for Mags. Would have made for an interesting season. Could Theo gotten someone to replace Mags when he hurt his knee that year?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is really up to the players to hide it.... Everyone was issued a free pass back then.

If you fail a test now (or buy from an idiot in Miami), you're just stupid....

That 60 Minutes show must have resulted in hundreds of guys with ties to PEDs getting the idea to open similar "clinics" after dumbass sat there and gave all his secrets away on national TV.

Not getting caught means you have an ironclad network in place of people you can trust with your life to get this shit for you and never talk. Guys like Pujols obviously have that.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is guilty as hell and they had a mountain of evidence on him. And it wasn't just drug use either.

Let's be honest Hammer. A Rod is a prick, but if half of what that guy said was true, we would be talking about ARods criminal trial not his drug use.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest Hammer. A Rod is a prick, but if half of what that guy said was true, we would be talking about ARods criminal trial not his drug use.

The feds aren't going into court anymore against super-rich athletes with legal super-teams spending money the government doesn't have for the slim chance of putting them in a country club for 18 months. You know the feds would love to nail A-Rod but the smart thing is to walk away because it's just not worth it.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The feds aren't going into court anymore against super-rich athletes with legal super-teams spending money the government doesn't have for the slim chance of putting them in a country club for 18 months. You know the feds would love to nail A-Rod but the smart thing is to walk away because it's just not worth it.

if there was a conspiracy to kill this guy, as he was implying, the Feds would be all over A Rod. The owner of that clinic was nothing more than a lowlife liar, who Bud Selig saw as his chance to use for his purposes.

Did A Rod do steroids? yes

Has A Rod failed a test under the baseball drug testing agreement? no

Did A Rod deserve 162 or 211 games? hell no he deserved 50 like everybody else who was caught in this.

Would I want him back as a Yankee? no he is washed up as a player

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lols on the mountian of MLB evidence.

A-Rod: Six unanswered questions
January, 13, 2014
JAN 13
2:58
PM ET
By Wallace Matthews | ESPNNewYork.com
RECOMMEND78TWEET13COMMENTS18EMAILPRINT

CBS News had four of the five key players in the Alex Rodriguez case -- Anthony Bosch, Bud Selig, Rob Manfred and Joe Tacopina -- before its cameras for more than 30 minutes Sunday night, and yet there are still a boatload of key questions that remain unanswered, largely because they were not asked.

I've limited myself to a half-dozen questions I was dying to hear asked and answered Sunday. You may chime in with more of your own in the Comments section below.

1. Why 162 games?

This is the key question yet to be answered. The Joint Drug Agreement collectively bargained among the league and its players specifically stipulates a 50-game suspension for a first-time drug offender, a 100-game suspension for a second offense, and a lifetime ban for a third. Technically, Alex Rodriguez is a first-time offender under the current JDA, and Major League Baseball doesn't even have a positive drug test on him. So why is he being hit with a suspension more than twice as long as Ryan Braun's, a known two-time offender, and more than three times as long as stipulated in its own JDA? This question was never asked of Manfred or Selig and probably can only be answered by releasing Horowitz's decision, or if it is introduced into evidence as part of A-Rod's attempt to obtain an injunction in federal court. In any event, we shouldn't have to guess about why the sentence is so stiff.

2. If MLB's anti-drug program is so tough, why are there no positive tests against A-Rod or any of the other 13 players suspended in the Biogenesis scandal?

The obvious answer, of course, is the drug program is not nearly as tough as MLB says it is. Clearly, without the Miami New Times story, A-Rod, Braun and the other 12 players who accepted 50-game suspensions probably would not have been caught. Selig and/or Manfred should have been asked to explain that discrepancy.

3. If Anthony Bosch is so truthful, how does MLB feel about his assertions that passing its drug tests is easy, and that "everyone" in the game is doing illegal PEDs?

This is a tough one for MLB to rationalize away, which is probably why neither Selig nor Manfred was asked about it. Are they saying he's selectively truthful, and that he lied when he said the test is easy to beat? If so, he's an unreliable witness whose word should not be taken as gospel on anything. And if he's as truthful as MLB says he is, then MLB still has a very, very serious drug problem and no clue how to stop it.

4. How could MLB not know that the documents it bought from someone calling himself "Bobby" were stolen?

Of course they knew, it would appear. At first they were negotiating with Porter Fischer, the disgruntled Biogenesis employee who originally leaked the documents to the New Times. And then, suddenly, Fischer dropped out and was replaced by the sketchy "Bobby," whom Manfred asserted MLB bought the documents from, for cash, with virtually no questions asked. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems as if they did not want to know the answers. Especially because it is known that before the purchase, an MLB investigator called the Boca Raton police department inquiring about a robbery involving items taken from the trunk of Fischer's car. It may not be germane to the issue of whether A-Rod did or did not use PEDs supplied by Bosch, but it could shed some meaningful light on MLB's methods in conducting its investigation.

5. Why is it evidence of A-Rod's guilt that he allegedly paid Bosch $12,000 a month in cash, but there are no repercussions for MLB paying "Bobby" -- actually an ex-con named Gary Jones -- $125,000 in $10,000 bricks of $100 bills in a parking lot?

Again, this goes more to MLB's methods than Alex Rodriguez's guilt or innocence, but the question should have been asked. Why is one an instance of criminal behavior and the other an acceptable means of obtaining evidence?

6. Why was Selig so willing to answer questions on camera from Scott Pelley, but not under oath from Joe Tacopina?

An admittedly obvious question, the answer being that Selig could be sure Pelley would not ask any of the preceding five questions -- and Tacopina, of course, would have asked them, and more. While there may be a precedent in the history of MLBPA appeals for Selig's failure to testify, it remains among the most unsatisfying aspects of the entire affair. We should have heard from Selig and from A-Rod under oath on the stand, not before TV cameras or radio microphones in front of friendly interviewers.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that the Yankees homers who hate Arod are still defending him. Really?