• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A good article on Earl Morrall

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting when we talk about all these high draft picks that Morrall, while being drafted 2nd overall ended up playing behind HOFers but was still able to carve out a pretty memorable career. Although widely remembered for being awful in the loss to Namath in SBIII, he was able to come in in relief of Unitas to win one 2 years later. ( although his numbers weren't very good.)
When Unitas got hurt in the final pre-season game in 68, Morrall went on to an MVP season.
And when Griese got knocked out in 72, Morrall only came in and won 10 straight games. At age 38, getting a first team all pro nod.
Pretty good showing for what is regarded as the definition of "Journeyman".

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is widely considered the best backup QB of all time. I think Steve Young doesn't count since he became a starter eventually.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the posters on the SportsHoopla, don't have a clue who Earl Morrall is/was. Nevertheless good read.
Man rocked a crew cut not seen since the likes of Johnny U

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting when we talk about all these high draft picks that Morrall, while being drafted 2nd overall ended up playing behind HOFers but was still able to carve out a pretty memorable career. Although widely remembered for being awful in the loss to Namath in SBIII, he was able to come in in relief of Unitas to win one 2 years later. ( although his numbers weren't very good.)
When Unitas got hurt in the final pre-season game in 68, Morrall went on to an MVP season.
And when Griese got knocked out in 72, Morrall only came in and won 10 straight games. At age 38, getting a first team all pro nod.
Pretty good showing for what is regarded as the definition of "Journeyman".

Yeah Earl was one of those guys that could be great sometimes and horrible the next...Best I can remember, he threw a lot of wounded ducks too....He had his moments for sure, but rightfully was just a very good backup IMO....i wonder though did he throw that SB against the Jets ????:hmm: