• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A-Gon May Be Gone

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sox, Padres Agree On Adrian Gonzalez Trade: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

What do you think if you are a Padre fan? Coming off a 90 win season and now they are about to trade their offense and superstar and are expected to trade their closer.

Personally, this is probably the smart thing to do in the end for the Pads in the long run, but it should be interesting to see if they can sell tickets because they can't already and now their only marketable hitter is probably gone.

Thoughts?

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Red Sox fan, I love the trade

and the Padres are getting a likely future stud in Casey Kelly. kid can pitch and hit, and was a strong SS prospect for awhile.

Looking at the division, it would have been hard for the Pads to make the playoffs and there was no way Gonzalez was staying after the season.

I can understand why they made the trade

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i was a maxi-Pad fan i'd be pissed. they hung in there until the last second. they had a chance to contend, and even if they were out of the running for the division, they could have just traded him at the trade deadline where his value would have been even higher.

that being said, i love the deal

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Legit prospects in Kelly, Rizzo and Fuentes, but all of them are a couple years away. Anything can happen in that time frame, so I am not a HUGE fan of the deal. If it were the G's sending AGone for that package, I would not be thrilled.

However, since the Pads are trying to keep their payroll to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the G's, I guess they have to make this deal. They are officially going back to the bottom of the div, though.

Sad.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if i was a maxi-Pad fan i'd be pissed. they hung in there until the last second. they had a chance to contend, and even if they were out of the running for the division, they could have just traded him at the trade deadline where his value would have been even higher.

that being said, i love the deal

I don't think his value would have been even higher because it would be for such a short time that he would be with the team that traded for him.

Considering the Padres attendance didn't really rise with the great run I don't think it has huge effects on fans.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the deal, but something tells me I would have wanted a little bit more for Gonzalez.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
3 Legit prospects in Kelly, Rizzo and Fuentes, but all of them are a couple years away. Anything can happen in that time frame, so I am not a HUGE fan of the deal. If it were the G's sending AGone for that package, I would not be thrilled.

However, since the Pads are trying to keep their payroll to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the G's, I guess they have to make this deal. They are officially going back to the bottom of the div, though.

Sad.

I don't see it as sad, I see it more as them doing the right thing for the team. They need to get rid of Bell now too to bring in as many pieces to help the team seriously compete in a coupe of years.

Although, I think I'm still leaning more towards wanting more for AGON.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet they would have gotten more if they waited until the Red Sox sign or don't sign Werth/Crawford

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As a Red Sox fan, I love the trade

and the Padres are getting a likely future stud in Casey Kelly. kid can pitch and hit, and was a strong SS prospect for awhile.

Looking at the division, it would have been hard for the Pads to make the playoffs and there was no way Gonzalez was staying after the season.

I can understand why they made the trade

Oh and the kid CAN'T hit, that is why he i a pitcher. If he could hit he would have still been a SS.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and the kid CAN'T hit, that is why he i a pitcher. If he could hit he would have still been a SS.

I agree. And have you seen his hitting numbers? No wonder he is a pitcher now.

Granted, I knew NOTHING of him before today, but purely by the numbers, he does not look impressive. I will bow to the "experts" though, that say he is a top-flight prospect. MiL numbers (especially for pitchers) are not that reliable.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree. And have you seen his hitting numbers? No wonder he is a pitcher now.

Granted, I knew NOTHING of him before today, but purely by the numbers, he does not look impressive. I will bow to the "experts" though, that say he is a top-flight prospect. MiL numbers (especially for pitchers) are not that reliable.

Well the Red Sox drafted him to be a pitcher, but he wanted to be a SS. The Red Sox agreed to let him be a SS for a year or two with the understanding that if he wasn't do well he would pitch. He lost a couple years of development because he was stubborn, but if I remember correctly, he has good command and pitches.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I've been thinking. With this trade, many Giants killers are gone from the Padres. Gonzalez, Scott Hariston (non-tendered), David Ecstein, Yorvit Torrealba. We'll see how this plays out ;)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I've been thinking. With this trade, many Giants killers are gone from the Padres. Gonzalez, Scott Hariston (non-tendered), David Ecstein, Yorvit Torrealba. We'll see how this plays out ;)

I dont think we need to worry about the Pads anymore.

Rox and Snakes are the competition.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade just magnifies how horrific the MLB payroll structure is. Of course RedSoxfan likes it the way it is...the system favors his team. MLB needs a salary cap. NOW. There is NO GOOD REASON a local hero like AGon should EVER be traded for monetary reasons.

The Yankees payroll is nearly SIX TIMES the Pirates'. The Red Sox spend FOUR TIMES what the Padres do. Both the Pirates and Padres have brand new stadia. The competitive imbalance is staggering. All the payroll tax does is mollify the small market owner's pocketbooks -- it does nothing to balance the playing field.

The system is broke, and it needs to be fixed ala the NBA and NFL. The large market clubs should be allowed to keep their current revenue but spending on players and development should be capped so that all teams are playing with the same deck of cards. Let's see how good the Red Sox and Yankee front offices are without the huge monetary advantage.

All that said, the Giants only competition for the division will now be the Rockies.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade just magnifies how horrific the MLB payroll structure is. Of course RedSoxfan likes it the way it is...the system favors his team. MLB needs a salary cap. NOW. There is NO GOOD REASON a local hero like AGon should EVER be traded for monetary reasons.

The Yankees payroll is nearly SIX TIMES the Pirates'. The Red Sox spend FOUR TIMES what the Padres do. Both the Pirates and Padres have brand new stadia. The competitive imbalance is staggering. All the payroll tax does is mollify the small market owner's pocketbooks -- it does nothing to balance the playing field.

The system is broke, and it needs to be fixed ala the NBA and NFL. The large market clubs should be allowed to keep their current revenue but spending on players and development should be capped so that all teams are playing with the same deck of cards. Let's see how good the Red Sox and Yankee front offices are without the huge monetary advantage.

All that said, the Giants only competition for the division will now be the Rockies.

I agree to an extent. I think that the NBA's system is even MORE broke than the MLBs system. I remember the Donnie Marshall contract absolutely killed the W's for YEARS, and that was one (not THE, but one) reason I am not an NBA fan.

I think they need a soft cap, but a firm minimum. The way the Fish, Pirates, Pads, Royals etc treat their fans is disgusting. They have a monopoly, so they should be forced to add to their product. I am not SOOO against the Spanks having their financial advantage, though. They have EARNED that advantage (to an extent) with the YES network and all the other investments made to the product over the last 100 years or so. Why should they hv to surrender the advantage they earned?

They also need to allow draft pick trading and a firm slotting system for the draft. The way players like Hocham, Posey or Van Popple drop because of finances is another reason the MLB teams are so wide apart. The Spanks never need to worry about what the stud prospects are asking, but the Pads have to draft Matt Bush.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rox are our strongest competition for sure, but I'm not going to overlook the Dodgers. They have a good rotation and decent offense and I doubt Broxton will struggle again next year and they already have Kuo and someother arm that I can't really think of.

And the D-Backs will be improved but I'm thinking it will be a 2 team race between us and the Rox with the Dodgers just being the awkward guy who stands by himself at parties, they are there but you don't really notice them.

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

To be fair, there is no reason for the Pirates and Padres to spend that little money on their teams. They have the money, they just choose not to spend it. Why reward the teams for being poorly run and being just about profits?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent. I think that the NBA's system is even MORE broke than the MLBs system. I remember the Donnie Marshall contract absolutely killed the W's for YEARS, and that was one (not THE, but one) reason I am not an NBA fan.

I think they need a soft cap, but a firm minimum. The way the Fish, Pirates, Pads, Royals etc treat their fans is disgusting. They have a monopoly, so they should be forced to add to their product. I am not SOOO against the Spanks having their financial advantage, though. They have EARNED that advantage (to an extent) with the YES network and all the other investments made to the product over the last 100 years or so. Why should they hv to surrender the advantage they earned?

They also need to allow draft pick trading and a firm slotting system for the draft. The way players like Hocham, Posey or Van Popple drop because of finances is another reason the MLB teams are so wide apart. The Spanks never need to worry about what the stud prospects are asking, but the Pads have to draft Matt Bush.

Because they 'earned' it on the back of simply being in the largest market. The YES network makes so much money precisely because there are so many more people (and hence Yankee fans) in NY. A slotting system would be a nice step, but not enough without a salary and development cap.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rox are our strongest competition for sure, but I'm not going to overlook the Dodgers. They have a good rotation and decent offense and I doubt Broxton will struggle again next year and they already have Kuo and someother arm that I can't really think of.

And the D-Backs will be improved but I'm thinking it will be a 2 team race between us and the Rox with the Dodgers just being the awkward guy who stands by himself at parties, they are there but you don't really notice them.

Agree. The Giants and Rox will fight it out for the division/wild card. The doyers and snakes will battle for third, and the Puds will be in the cellar.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nevermind, for awhile deal didn't get done..