• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A final officiating rant

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PK is mistaken - The flag was already on the ground so the play was dead whether or not Harbaugh had called the TO.

I still wish that Harbaugh would've saved that timeout. At that point, a timeout was worth more than 5 yards.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, I am finding it hard to move on, but I also am trying to get some perspective. I remember how absolutely outraged the Seahawk fans were over the super bowl they got jobbed in, and I think the a lot of people thought that they made plenty of their own mistakes to argue it came down to the refs. I am starting to think the same thing about our super bowl -- everything Crimson said is right, but, as Peter King pointed out -- had Harbaugh not called time out at the end, it's very likely Kaep would have just trotted into the end zone, the playcalling was bad and the defense was atrocious -- just horrible, and Kaep had the yips for a while. We were the better team, I'm convinced of that, but we didn't play like it for most of the game. And to me, that's harder to get over --- they choked at the beginning of the game and choked at the end -- no 49er team has done that in the super bowl before -- and that's a lot worse than playing a generally good game and having it snatched away by the refs.
However, I will say one thing --- we came in second, over the Packers, Falcons, Seahawks, Patriots, etc., and while it's frustrating not to win once you get there, it was a great fun filled season.

Can't win them all. And you're right that there's no shame in second place. I feel very good about our team. The loss will motivate our guys to work even harder. I have a feeling that Harbaugh and company will break through and win the Super Bowl in the near future. I feel that many of the dominant teams are on the way down and that we're one of the rising teams. We're already pretty good, but we are still improving, IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wish that Harbaugh would've saved that timeout. At that point, a timeout was worth more than 5 yards.

Especially since our next two plays were passes. My guess is not long after the moment Harbaugh likely realized the same.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WWE.

I'm surprised you guys are putting this much energy into this. Realize the NFL is a sham, and you'll sleep much better.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially since our next two plays were passes. My guess is not long after the moment Harbaugh likely realized the same.

I think that NFL teams in general need to treat second half timeouts more preciously. I can't remember right now how the Niners used their first timeout of the 2nd half, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a situation where losing the 5 yards wouldn't have been too big of a deal. It just seems that in any down and distance and no matter where they are on the field, the offense just automatically calls timeout whenever they think they won't get a play off in time.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that NFL teams in general need to treat second half timeouts more preciously. I can't remember right now how the Niners used their first timeout of the 2nd half, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a situation where losing the 5 yards wouldn't have been too big of a deal. It just seems that in any down and distance and no matter where they are on the field, the offense just automatically calls timeout whenever they think they won't get a play off in time.

I believe the first one was to prevent another DOG and further I believe it was on a first down - which, to your point, should have never, ever been spent in that situation.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Niners need to be better about getting the plays off in time rather than taking a bunch of penalties "just in case." Go and look at drives of almost any team in history. Bad penalties absolutely kill drives. So I don't agree with saving the time out and taking a penalty. And when you are down by the endzone you don't want to give back 5 yards. Every yard counts in the NFL. Again... I think that the team needs to learn how to get the pays relayed better, and Kaep needs to make his reads/adjustments faster. Those will hopefully improve with the more time he gets as a starter.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe the first one was to prevent another DOG and further I believe it was on a first down - which, to your point, should have never, ever been spent in that situation.

Yeah, Kap called it on first down. Don't remember field position or what the preceding play was, but it was dumb. The TO was worth far more than the 5 yards at that point. Especially as our offense was clicking.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the Niners need to be better about getting the plays off in time rather than taking a bunch of penalties "just in case." Go and look at drives of almost any team in history. Bad penalties absolutely kill drives. So I don't agree with saving the time out and taking a penalty. And when you are down by the endzone you don't want to give back 5 yards. Every yard counts in the NFL. Again... I think that the team needs to learn how to get the pays relayed better, and Kaep needs to make his reads/adjustments faster. Those will hopefully improve with the more time he gets as a starter.

I'm a little torn. Since we threw anyway, losing the yardage would have probably helped to open the field a bit more in the passing game, and actually would have increased Kap's running threat IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little torn. Since we threw anyway, losing the yardage would have probably helped to open the field a bit more in the passing game, and actually would have increased Kap's running threat IMO.

Yep - Yep The idea may feel like it flys in the face of convential wisdom, but strategically, I think it would have been the correct decision to save the 0:40 and give the 5.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I made the mistake of reading the comments at the bottom of this article - when it loaded, for some reason it jumped me to the bottom and then it was too late:

Aldon Smith says ?we all know? Crabtree was held | ProFootballTalk

It's taking all my willpower not to post on there. So I'll just do my bitching here instead. A few things that come up in those comments bother me.

First, several people brought up Bowman's play on White in the NFCC game. That was a textbook play. Contact within five, he redirected White and broke off contact before the ball was thrown, then made a play on a ball that was thrown slightly behind White. I'm not sure how people consider this a penalty.

Second, I have seen several people, including pundits, justify Jimmy Smith's hold by saying that Crabtree initiated contact. Newsflash: an offensive player can initiate contact within five yards. It doesn't give the defender license to hold.

Third, I love the guy who talks about Seattle whining. You mean the game that prompted Bill Leavy to apologize for blowing two fourth quarter calls? Yes, clearly that was a well-officiated game when even the guy making the calls knows they were wrong.

Anyway, as said above, I view the Crabtree 4th down play as one of the less egregious officiating miscues in this one, but it may never die.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Though I must say, Aldon is right. It was clearly a hold/interference. But a hold is never going to be called in that situation unless it is so blatant the officials are forced to flag it. And maybe not even then.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Neigh

Attachments

• dead horse1.jpg
    dead horse1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 64

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I must say, Aldon is right. It was clearly a hold/interference. But a hold is never going to be called in that situation unless it is so blatant the officials are forced to flag it. And maybe not even then.

Why have a rule book at all?

WWE.

It would have been awesome to see Ray Lewis blindside Kaep with a folding chair after that 4th down play.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why have a rule book at all?

WWE.

It would have been awesome to see Ray Lewis blindside Kaep with a folding chair after that 4th down play.

I don't care so much about the 4th down play anymore. I can see why it was not called even though it clearly cost us the game.

I'm more annoyed by the helmet to helmet hit on 2nd down that was not called. There is no reason that flag should ever not be thrown. That would have put us at 1st and goal from the Ravens 2 and half yard line I believe.