• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few thoughts on the game and our team

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-Great performance by the O-line today. They have been pretty good for a while now. The pass protection was what stood out for me today. Usually this always seems to be an issue. With this O-line, this offense has so much potential. Boone has been terrific for us. HUGE upgrade from last year. Anthony Davis has been a beast. He's really progressing nicely.

-Lot of missed big plays again today. This just seems to be a reoccurring thing for our offense. We just cant seem to capitalize on big plays that are there. Luckily we are so good in other parts of the game, we usually dont need them. Again though, this offense does have the potential.

-Our defense had a nice showing after what happen last week to us. We got some good pressure and played the run nicely. I do think the performance appears a little bit better then it actually might be just because how bad the jets are on offense. Sanchez missed quite a few throws and they dont have many weapons at all.

-Coaching was pretty good in this game. I liked Kap getting some plays and showing some creativity. Kaepernick brings a nice weapon to our offense with great speed and vision as a runner.
I loved going for it on 4th but absolutely hated how we just settled for 3 before the half. In those situations you gotta try for the 7 and have the killer instinct, we need to be able to do that against good teams.

-I dont get why we have Moss on our team. I dont like him, never have, and he just doesnt really produce much or add anything. I'd rather go with our future, Jenkins, like some others on here have said and have him out there for a few plays. He has terrific speed and showed in preseason great separation. I'd love to give the guy a shot.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Great performance by the O-line today. They have been pretty good for a while now. The pass protection was what stood out for me today. Usually this always seems to be an issue. With this O-line, this offense has so much potential. Boone has been terrific for us. HUGE upgrade from last year. Anthony Davis has been a beast. He's really progressing nicely.

-Lot of missed big plays again today. This just seems to be a reoccurring thing for our offense. We just cant seem to capitalize on big plays that are there. Luckily we are so good in other parts of the game, we usually dont need them. Again though, this offense does have the potential.

-Our defense had a nice showing after what happen last week to us. We got some good pressure and played the run nicely. I do think the performance appears a little bit better then it actually might be just because how bad the jets are on offense. Sanchez missed quite a few throws and they dont have many weapons at all.

-Coaching was pretty good in this game. I liked Kap getting some plays and showing some creativity. Kaepernick brings a nice weapon to our offense with great speed and vision as a runner.
I loved going for it on 4th but absolutely hated how we just settled for 3 before the half. In those situations you gotta try for the 7 and have the killer instinct, we need to be able to do that against good teams.

-I dont get why we have Moss on our team. I dont like him, never have, and he just doesnt really produce much or add anything. I'd rather go with our future, Jenkins, like some others on here have said and have him out there for a few plays. He has terrific speed and showed in preseason great separation. I'd love to give the guy a shot.

He is on this team for what he adds to the locker room believe it or not, his experience is the thing our WR core needed. Everything I have heard and saw about him has said that he has taken the WR under his wing and is helping them.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Moss is contributing a lot more than statistically. From what I saw in the Packers and Vikings game, both of those teams played a lot of 2 deep safety because they respect what Moss can do. Hell, the one time the Packers forgot about him he caught a TD... and when the Vikings slipped up he should have caught another TD if it wasn't for Alex. Arguably it might not just be Moss keeping those safeties deep, it could be the combination of Moss, VD, and Manningham. Even with that thought, Moss is still a factor.

How often have you seen the opposing defenses crowd the line of scrimmage with Moss on the field? Outside of the jumbo packages, teams aren't lining up against the 49ers the same way they did last year... even though the 49ers haven't proven it yet, they still seem to fear the 49ers deep passing threat.

Look at Kaep's pass today, triple-coverage... teams respect the shit out of Randy and in my opinion he is opening up a lot for the running game and Alex ball... the dink and dunk.

Plus, Randy was nice enough to pick up Kaep's first TD ball and stuff it in his gut so he didn't lose it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Ricky Jean Francois too?

He filled in good for Sopoaga last year when Soap missed a game, and then he played great today too.

They're both free agents at the end of the year :(

Soap is 31 and RJF will be 26, I hope the 49ers can get one of them back. I have a feeling they'll try to keep RJF since he is 5 years younger.

*edit*
It reminds me of the Bowman/Spikes thing. When the younger guy fills in for the starter, and you can't even tell the normal starter wasn't playing... we probably won't see the older guy in a 49ers uniform next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manningham is by far my favorite WR on the team. He actually gets seperation, he catches well, and he is very smooth. My only gripe was him slowing down in the middle of his route and trying to get a PI on the deep pass that just missed him on the sideline.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Manningham is by far my favorite WR on the team. He actually gets seperation, he catches well, and he is very smooth. My only gripe was him slowing down in the middle of his route and trying to get a PI on the deep pass that just missed him on the sideline.

He looks better than Crabs to me too. He is elusive after the catch, can make guys miss or break tackles and get a lot of extra yards.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex needs to get more accurate IMO.... i saw some throws were off(surprise?) and misses the open guys. Scary that the offense still needs improvement but they have the potential to improve.

I can't wait til Kap takes over full time.

OL was great IMO.

Defense was sharp as ever(debbie downer: no real weapons on Jets though :()

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

That's my gripe as well and he's done that a few times already.

Alex will throw the ball were Mario is supposed to be but he's not there because he's slowed down to try to draw a PI flag when he should just keep running and not worry about being interfered with.

As far as the defense goes yes the Jets are completely horrible on offense but it's still a pretty good performance to completely shutout a team on the road with a 10am start time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, obviously the offense still needs a lot of work. it seems like the parts are improving, but not the whole?

vvoland

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, obviously the offense still needs a lot of work. it seems like the parts are improving, but not the whole?

i know there's been talk of alex missing some big plays in the game yesterday. i was actually really encouraged by what he showed. in years past he's shown that he's capable of making every throw on the football field expect one : the deep sideline route [unless its to vd]. as a big fan of smith, i always chalked it up to not having the practice reps and rapport with his receivers, nor the confidence that they'll make the play. when throwing it to his wr's last year he'd err on the side of caution, shading it too far to the sideline, often sailing it out of bounds. i always thought he could make that throw considering how good his success rate was with VD as the target.

i haven't watched the coaches film so i'm going off what i remember from yesterday's game but he had three sideline throws that were very close indeed. the homer in me thought they all should have garnered a PI call as kyle wilson was guilty of the arm bar in all three situations but none were blatant. it was encouraging to see him miss his receivers long, not wide [though it would have been more encouraging to see him hit them in stride]. i think this offense will improve greatly as the season goes along and alex smith should be better with each game.

i've also read a bit about how we're not a team that can come back and that smith is very limited when playing from behind. didn't we have 5 fourth quarter comebacks last season? and something like 12 in the saints game. one loss to a good minnesota team and the sky is falling. fact is, the team didn't show up for that game. the gore fumble and a number of missed tackles contributed far more to that loss than i'm willing to put on smith. not to say he played well. he contributed to that horrid effort, no question. that said, the entire team stunk up the joint worse than a gonorrheatic hooker.

one last note re: moss. despite what we may think of his play this year and 2010, CBs are still giving him 9 yard cushions and safeties are shading to his side every time he's on the field. it opens up the underneath stuff for our other receivers and allows for big holes at the second level for the run game. plus, as has been mentioned, he's been great in the locker room and as a mentor for our younger receivers. never thought that mentor and randy moss would be in the same sentence other than 'randy moss killed his mentor...'

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith plays his best when we're behind and the offense is in hurry up. most of the time he seems almost lazy in his approach. i'm fine with this approach if we pick our spots to attack, but i would like to see us open up the offense a bit more.

but we still should be pounding the ball

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Ricky Jean Francois too?

He filled in good for Sopoaga last year when Soap missed a game, and then he played great today too.

They're both free agents at the end of the year :(

Soap is 31 and RJF will be 26, I hope the 49ers can get one of them back. I have a feeling they'll try to keep RJF since he is 5 years younger.

*edit*
It reminds me of the Bowman/Spikes thing. When the younger guy fills in for the starter, and you can't even tell the normal starter wasn't playing... we probably won't see the older guy in a 49ers uniform next year.

I think we can keep both RJF even though he has proven as a good fill in when needed he still is unproven and probably better suited for DE instead of NT.

Soap has played what 50 snaps this year if that and our defense has looked pretty good without him (except the Vikings which he played in) so I think he could be had at 2-3 year good contract instead of the breaking the bank one we thought he would have gotten after last year performance.

I would rather sign them both and groom RJF to replace the cowboy and Williams to replace Soap but its going to be an interesting to see what the 49ers do.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to draft the next JJ Watt.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Alex needs to learn how to connect deep with players not named Vernon Davis.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ohh and even though Moss was triple teamed, that pass by Kaep was a thing of beauty. And dude is fast as hell.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can keep both RJF even though he has proven as a good fill in when needed he still is unproven and probably better suited for DE instead of NT.

Soap has played what 50 snaps this year if that and our defense has looked pretty good without him (except the Vikings which he played in) so I think he could be had at 2-3 year good contract instead of the breaking the bank one we thought he would have gotten after last year performance.

I would rather sign them both and groom RJF to replace the cowboy and Williams to replace Soap but its going to be an interesting to see what the 49ers do.

I believe this is the final year of a 5yr 20 million dollar deal for Soap, so he isn't hurting for money. But at 31 this is realistically his last chance at a big payday, so outside teams will be able to lure him away with more money if they want him.

I was just giving RJF some love, he's started at NT for the 49ers two biggest blowouts. The 48-3 Tampa thumping last year, and this Jets game.