• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Different Approach

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These days drafting well will give you the less expensive players. Before when rookies could negotiate any absurd amount it was always better to trade back and get more players at a good price and increase the chance 1 works out. Now the new pay scale allows for good drafting everywhere without breaking the bank and you can keep those guys for 4 or 5 years.

Granted we can not have another draft like this years. Accumulating draft picks is the way to go in the long run.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the counter-argument to be sure.

The Jets had some serious success against a very good Miami defense running it like 48 times for around 275 yards (I'm being lazy, easy info to look up, but I'm going off the top of my head here).

What this guy is selling, and I'm at least kind of buying, is that a team built to run the ball, with o-linemen and TEs who are good run-blockers first and foremost, good RB talent, and big running QBs who can take a beating while running the read option, could have some success with the approach.

I'll concede that it's an unorthodox approach in the NFL. However, given some limited success with the wildcat and the read option, a team built to run this approach, with it's pick of the type of talent that the rest of the league isn't necessarily after, could have some success...
I would agree, but there is going to be a new defense every week, one after the other coming up with a new plan to stop the run game... The level of play is more balanced in the NFL as opposed to college, so I think it will be caught on too quickly to make any noise.

Don't get me wrong, I like new approaches, I just think throwing the football is the way to go...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree, but there is going to be a new defense every week, one after the other coming up with a new plan to stop the run game... The level of play is more balanced in the NFL as opposed to college, so I think it will be caught on too quickly to make any noise.

Don't get me wrong, I like new approaches, I just think throwing the football is the way to go...

Just throwing doesn't work either. Balance is where true success resides. One dimensional offenses or defenses for that matter, can't work. Too much gameplanning goes into each game to expect a one sided approach to have success. The Lions under Jim Schwartz is proof of that. You can have some success early but eventually, teams figure it out.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing doesn't work either. Balance is where true success resides. One dimensional offenses or defenses for that matter, can't work. Too much gameplanning goes into each game to expect a one sided approach to have success. The Lions under Jim Schwartz is proof of that. You can have some success early but eventually, teams figure it out.
I probably should have clarified... You cannot only run the football, you need to throw it to be successful...