• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A better way of determining if the puck crossed the goal line

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To hell with video reviews and the guy who lghts up the goal lamp. Put a damn chip in the puck and sensors in the ice at the goal line area...problem solved.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not cut and dry, and may be too much money on something that really isn't an issue enough to warrant it.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for it to work, you'd need some kind of sensor grid encasing the entire puck. I really don't know if that's even possible to do and not have the sensors get damaged by gameplay.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a great idea.........would be cheap as hell. A tiny computer chip costs about 99 cents to make. It takes one person to do the programming, and that is it

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or maybe just use honor system?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
net_diagram_rev.jpg

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my idea........put magnetic material inside the puck. Then the sensors in the goal would be tripped by magnetic activity, thus when the puck passes through the sensors go off

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my idea........put magnetic material inside the puck. Then the sensors in the goal would be tripped by magnetic activity, thus when the puck passes through the sensors go off

kind of like the sensors at the exits of most stores.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order for it to work, you'd need some kind of sensor grid encasing the entire puck. I really don't know if that's even possible to do and not have the sensors get damaged by gameplay.

I agree with you Hawaiian.

You don't need it around the entire puck. You just need it in the center of the puck with the sensor knowing the distance to the edges of the puck and the angle the puck is on. You could then use a 3D model to determine exactly where it is and if it's across the line, even if its inside or under a glove. My Wii controller can do it, so I'm pretty sure it's possible. :)

But the cost of the development would be the issue. For a billion dollar product, it seems like it's worth a mil of R&D. Who knows - maybe they are already looking into it.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the yellow line idea, but what happens when the puck is hidden under the goalie's glove or leg... we must implement the honor system... can u imagine Carey Price.."yeah, it completely crossed the line"..

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about they just create a chamber under the ice of the goalie and net, and stick a guy uner there who's job is to look up with a camera and see if the puck completely crossed or not?

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about they just create a chamber under the ice of the goalie and net, and stick a guy uner there who's job is to look up with a camera and see if the puck completely crossed or not?

oooo upskirt pics of the ice girls!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If sensors were really a good answer, I would think the NFL would have already been all over it. How many times do they guess as to where the ball is or if it crossed the plain?

The NFL has tons of money they could invest in a project like that if it was so cheap and easy of a solution.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If sensors were really a good answer, I would think the NFL would have already been all over it. How many times do they guess as to where the ball is or if it crossed the plain?

The NFL has tons of money they could invest in a project like that if it was so cheap and easy of a solution.

I would think it would be a lot easier to implement a sensor system in a hockey goal than it would be to have one across an entire goal line

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Hawaiian.

You don't need it around the entire puck. You just need it in the center of the puck with the sensor knowing the distance to the edges of the puck and the angle the puck is on. You could then use a 3D model to determine exactly where it is and if it's across the line, even if its inside or under a glove. My Wii controller can do it, so I'm pretty sure it's possible. :)

But the cost of the development would be the issue. For a billion dollar product, it seems like it's worth a mil of R&D. Who knows - maybe they are already looking into it.

And what happens when the chip is not planted exactly in the center of the puck? Or what if the chip is slightly at an angle. There's some plays that are so close that it would make a difference.

If it was really so easy to implement this, the NHL would have done it already.The current system is the best we're gonna get. Having a second line would also be a possibility. Even then it wouldn't be perfect. You couldn't disallow goals because they didn't hit the line, but any puck that did reach the line would surely be a goal. It would make a difference on a few goal reviews per year.