• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.4 Playing out the string with the Rodominator

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Or maybe he's just not that good.

Doval with a nice ninth. Let's see if they can scrape a run across B9.
Brebbia has been our only non-closer that's any good this year

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he is one of the few guys from the bullpen who deserves a roster spot in 2023. Now maybe not as the 8th inning guy but at least one of the guys who is back next year.
And now that Doval has a 3rd pitch I think he's a top 5 closer in the game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he is one of the few guys from the bullpen who deserves a roster spot in 2023. Now maybe not as the 8th inning guy but at least one of the guys who is back next year.
He's young, still more upside than downside.

Not sure they'd be able to pick up anybody with more potential. Face it we aren't competing for the West for the foreseeable future, might as well keep some cheap higher ceiling guys around for either a spot on a contender or trade bait for better talent.

At least he's interesting

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him as a DH. Him or Joc depending on pitching
Same sort of analysis as with Joc.

He's on pace to put up about 1.7 WAR. That's worth about $14M. I'm not sure someone is going to pay that, but maybe. Thing is you can't primarily use him as a DH vs. LHP. He won't get enough ABs to justify his salary. He's probably not a liability at 1b, so there could be some starts there. I'd be ok with a $10M contract; not sure if he would.

He could be a nice DH/spot starter/PH/bench piece.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's on pace to put up about 1.7 WAR. That's worth about $14M. I'm not sure someone is going to pay that, but maybe. Thing is you can't primarily use him as a DH vs. LHP. He won't get enough ABs to justify his salary. He's probably not a liability at 1b, so there could be some starts there. I'd be ok with a $10M contract; not sure if he would.

Keep 'em both at this point. Offer Joc a # that'll keep him here for a few and low ball Wilmer. Realistically where's he going to go? Unless we have some studs that need a cuppo, how bad is either of their defenses going to affect our standings in '23 / '24? Does anyone care if we're out of the wildcard and 3rd/4th/5th in the division? Barring some unforeseen miracle, that's the trajectory

We aren't going anywhere so might as well have some lumber in the lineup. Both appear to be good clubhouse guys. Really what's the downside? I'd hate to see Wilmer breakdown again

OTOH those $9 tickets for nosebleed seats on a nice day, watching the bay and a few good plays with some buds are pretty sweet

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep 'em both at this point. Offer Joc a # that'll keep him here for a few and low ball Wilmer. Realistically where's he going to go? Unless we have some studs that need a cuppo, how bad is either of their defenses going to affect our standings in '23 / '24? Does anyone care if we're out of the wildcard and 3rd/4th/5th in the division? Barring some unforeseen miracle, that's the trajectory

We aren't going anywhere so might as well have some lumber in the lineup. Both appear to be good clubhouse guys. Really what's the downside? I'd hate to see Wilmer breakdown again

OTOH those $9 tickets for nosebleed seats on a nice day, watching the bay and a few good plays with some buds are pretty sweet
Waaaaay too negative. I'm not chucking the 23 and 24 seasons. But, you do you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 8M per WAR is only for 2+ WAR players. Players under 2 WAR make much less money

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Johnson get his first big league hit!

I didn't know that Rodon is close to breaking the record for most strikeouts in a season by a lefty for the Giants.
He's hitting .125 ...

Sounds like a forever Giant if ever there were one...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 8M per WAR is only for 2+ WAR players. Players under 2 WAR make much less money
in 2022, it's about $8.5M/WAR. Anyway, point taken on bench/role players ( I don't think a 1.0 WAR is worth $8.5M, e.g.). We have to temper it a bit. But for guys like Joc and Wilmer, I think the $8.5 metric is useful. We'll see how the market/negotiations play out. Safe to say, FZ won't overpay.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
potato . . . potatoe. Its the same. I'm so used to that phrase being used sarcastically around here that was my first assumption of what you were doing.
I was being sarcastic but glad he's gotten a hit...

Where the hell did Brinson come from?