• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/27 Dads @ Big Dudes (Do or Die)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the umpire just end this game for the Padres? The last strike to Slater looked outside the zone on the MLB game cast.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last two "strikes" were way outside and low. Wow! Just wow! Hope this guy never calls balls and strikes at the major league level again. That's atrocious.
I hope the Giants protest this game or file a complaint with the MLB office on Rob Drake.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last two "strikes" were way outside and low. Wow! Just wow! Hope this guy never calls balls and strikes at the major league level again. That's atrocious.
He was doing it since about the 6th inning. The Padre pitchers took advantage of it. The Giants pitchers did not.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29-31 is disappointing today. Especially considering at least four 9th inning meltdowns this season. Still, in July, all of us would have been pleasantly surprised at 29-31. Need to continue to develop hitting, get much better defensively, and find some freaking pitching (starters and relievers).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Giants protest this game or file a complaint with the MLB office on Rob Drake.
Nothing can be done outside of just drawing attention to it so this guy gets BAD marks. Knowing MLB umpiring, though, he will likely get a raise and become a crew chief next year based on this game alone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richly deserved loss and caps an interesting season.

1. I'm glad Bart got some playing time
2. I'm glad Poopturdjiza is gone
3. Please, please PLEASE get rid of Cueto
4. BB9 and Longo are closer to the end of their contracts.

bring on 2021

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29-31 is disappointing today. Especially considering at least four 9th inning meltdowns this season. Still, in July, all of us would have been pleasantly surprised at 29-31. Need to continue to develop hitting, get much better defensively, and find some freaking pitching (starters and relievers).
We were a 1-dimensional team this year (offense). To be a true contender, you have to have AT LEAST 2/3 of the game covered.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to process this season. It was nice to have a team contending for the playoffs for the first time in 4 years (that one was definitely torture too, with the massive collapse in the 2nd half of the season). However, the team only really contended because of the increased playoff field (which could be a permanent change, unfortunately). Having this false hope caused the FO to hold back on trades for the 2nd year in a row. While this team probably wouldn't have netted decent pitching prospects (the possible trades of Bumgarner and, potentially, Smith last year could have gotten some decent pitching prospects) in this year's trade deadline, at least building depth on the hitting side could have allowed this team to turn around and trade some prospects for a couple of good, young pitchers. And if this team would have done worse, we'd be sitting much higher in the draft order for 2021.
Yet the feeling of contending is so nice. Its amazing how 4 years can erase the joy of watching your team playing for something more than just playing out the regular season. I look forward to when this team has a good young core that has the ability to contend for multiple seasons.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to process this season. It was nice to have a team contending for the playoffs for the first time in 4 years (that one was definitely torture too, with the massive collapse in the 2nd half of the season). However, the team only really contended because of the increased playoff field (which could be a permanent change, unfortunately). Having this false hope caused the FO to hold back on trades for the 2nd year in a row. While this team probably wouldn't have netted decent pitching prospects (the possible trades of Bumgarner and, potentially, Smith last year could have gotten some decent pitching prospects) in this year's trade deadline, at least building depth on the hitting side could have allowed this team to turn around and trade some prospects for a couple of good, young pitchers. And if this team would have done worse, we'd be sitting much higher in the draft order for 2021.
Yet the feeling of contending is so nice. Its amazing how 4 years can erase the joy of watching your team playing for something more than just playing out the regular season. I look forward to when this team has a good young core that has the ability to contend for multiple seasons.
I feel the same. It is kinda hard for me to get excited about guys like Dick or Yaz because they have this stigma of “place-holder” in my eyes. They may be good, but they just don’t have the long-term potential of being good on a good team.

And as you all know, I am having a real hard time getting excited about this game with a universal DH. It just bastardizes the game, and I get frustrated that others don’t see that.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same. It is kinda hard for me to get excited about guys like Dick or Yaz because they have this stigma of “place-holder” in my eyes. They may be good, but they just don’t have the long-term potential of being good on a good team.

And as you all know, I am having a real hard time getting excited about this game with a universal DH. It just bastardizes the game, and I get frustrated that others don’t see that.

I hope they get rid of that stupid extra inning runner rule.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they get rid of that stupid extra inning runner rule.
In order of the new rules I hate most...

1) DH
2) Extended Playoffs (understandable in ‘20)
3) 3-batter rule (nothing good about this rule)
4) Extra-inning bonus-runner (understandable in ‘20)
5) Extended rosters (moving forward rule will be 26; 28 was only for ‘20)

Am I missing any of the rules?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richly deserved loss and caps an interesting season.

1. I'm glad Bart got some playing time
2. I'm glad Poopturdjiza is gone
3. Please, please PLEASE get rid of Cueto
4. BB9 and Longo are closer to the end of their contracts.

bring on 2021
It was nice to see Bart but I think he isn't ready yet (offensively or defensively) for the big leagues.
Yes, it is nice to see Samardzija gone. That was never a good signing and it got worse through the progression of his contract.
Cueto, unfortunately, is going nowhere. Considering the lack of starting depth on this team, he'll be back next year. However, a slow start in 2021 may mean an early release. Unless he looks dominant, I doubt his 2022 team option gets picked up.
Longo continues to slip but Belt had a nice bounceback year (especially since he started slowly once he was healthy). I look forward to one more season with him on the club but it may be smart to let him walk after 2021.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3