• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9/2 Biggie @ Rox

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
posey-chart.jpg

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could trade Belt...

Or

We could let Panda walk and put Posey through a hell of an off-season training program. That would allow raises and an upgrade in the rotation.

IMO, that would be a horrific move. Home grown, loved by the fans, one of the best 3b in the game. I guess we could flip him to an eastern team and go out and sign Adam Dunn :noidea:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally...

And you know, I dig a crisp 4-1 win at PacBell as much as anyone, but variety is good too, a game like this once in a while is FUN

Agreed. It's just like the Earl of Weaver was fond of saying:

"Just give me three three-run home runs, as long as we give up only two of them."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could trade Belt...

Or

We could let Panda walk and put Posey through a hell of an off-season training program. That would allow raises and an upgrade in the rotation.

At least we have to consider the option. If Panda's contract demands are excessive, and someone is willing to overpay in a trade (like a legit #1 SP or even a good #2 with some prospect(s)), you have to look at it. There aren't many, if any, players with his marketability, and a mediacentric city with a big payroll would salivate at the chance to get him. Panda in NY with that short RF porch in Yankee Stadium is one helluva combo. He could gain 50 lbs and still DH. The Yankees would pay dearly to get him, IMHO. Headley has been a big disappointment for them.

As much as my heart would like to see him stay, he is a legitimate risk to gain 40 lbs or more upon signing a long-term contract. This is business.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It's just like the Earl of Weaver was fond of saying:

"Just give me three three-run home runs, as long as we give up only two of them."

Even the game before, which we lost, was fun...we battled back strong at the end, etc...

Not nearly AS fun of course.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we have to consider the option. If Panda's contract demands are excessive, and someone is willing to overpay in a trade (like a legit #1 SP or even a good #2 with some prospect(s)), you have to look at it. There aren't many, if any, players with his marketability, and a mediacentric city with a big payroll would salivate at the chance to get him. Panda in NY with that short RF porch in Yankee Stadium is one helluva combo. He could gain 50 lbs and still DH. The Yankees would pay dearly to get him, IMHO. Headley has been a big disappointment for them.

As much as my heart would like to see him stay, he is a legitimate risk to gain 40 lbs or more upon signing a long-term contract. This is business.

Well, the problem there Mays Fan is that unless we trade him now, we can't trade him at all. His contract is up. We either pay him or let him go (and get a draft pick). And now that we're in September he isn't going to be traded.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, that would be a horrific move. Home grown, loved by the fans, one of the best 3b in the game. I guess we could flip him to an eastern team and go out and sign Adam Dunn :noidea:

I lean this way too...not because he's 'homegrown' (doesn't hurt of course) but because he's maybe the 2nd or 3rd best in the league at his position, which we don't have much backup for (moving Posey there doesn't seem that feasible).

Belt is homegrown too, but if these kids are the real deal he's the most expendable piece, and we'd get back either some ++ prospects or a sure fire starting player (pitcher? LF?). And we can afford Panda...maybe 2015 would be a bit tight but 2016+ we drop Lincecum's, Scutaro's, etc salaries. Like I said when we were looking at the latest Cuban FA, you gotta spend money once in a while, and 3B is a good spot to do it. We blanched at Pence's deal too, we look pretty dumb now.

As always the brass knows all we do about it and then 20x more. They've earned my trust to make the right call.

It's just fantastic that we have this kind of flexibility...instead of scrambling to make the lineup work and figure out what to do with Posey, the emergence of the 2 rooks gives us a ton of flexibility. That of course is predicated on those 2 being for real (still can't be sure, they have the look but we thought Hicks was the answer for a bit too).

Assuming they are legit though, it's such a blessing to know we can plug Susac in at C and save Posey and his bat and upgrade his D, instead of worrying about losing a ++ at the C position. And having a perfect #2 hitter but 15 years younger than Scutaro is just outstanding too.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For clarification, when I say "Let Panda walk..." I do not mean allow him to sign a 3/30 with another team. I mean let him sign a 6/120 with another team. While I don't expect either of those deals to happen, I fear the latter is closer to reality than the former, thus my idea of "Let Panda walk".

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I think we can agree Kontos is taking Lincecum's spot on the playoff roster (assuming of course...)

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For clarification, when I say "Let Panda walk..." I do not mean allow him to sign a 3/30 with another team. I mean let him sign a 6/120 with another team. While I don't expect either of those deals to happen, I fear the latter is closer to reality than the former, thus my idea of "Let Panda walk".

It would probably be too much to pay 6/120, but 5/80 or something? You do that all day.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the problem there Mays Fan is that unless we trade him now, we can't trade him at all. His contract is up. We either pay him or let him go (and get a draft pick). And now that we're in September he isn't going to be traded.

Rules and details...

:doh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lean this way too...not because he's 'homegrown' (doesn't hurt of course) but because he's maybe the 2nd or 3rd best in the league at his position, which we don't have much backup for (moving Posey there doesn't seem that feasible).

Belt is homegrown too, but if these kids are the real deal he's the most expendable piece, and we'd get back either some ++ prospects or a sure fire starting player (pitcher? LF?). And we can afford Panda...maybe 2015 would be a bit tight but 2016+ we drop Lincecum's, Scutaro's, etc salaries. Like I said when we were looking at the latest Cuban FA, you gotta spend money once in a while, and 3B is a good spot to do it. We blanched at Pence's deal too, we look pretty dumb now.

As always the brass knows all we do about it and then 20x more. They've earned my trust to make the right call.

It's just fantastic that we have this kind of flexibility...instead of scrambling to make the lineup work and figure out what to do with Posey, the emergence of the 2 rooks gives us a ton of flexibility. That of course is predicated on those 2 being for real (still can't be sure, they have the look but we thought Hicks was the answer for a bit too).

Assuming they are legit though, it's such a blessing to know we can plug Susac in at C and save Posey and his bat and upgrade his D, instead of worrying about losing a ++ at the C position. And having a perfect #2 hitter but 15 years younger than Scutaro is just outstanding too.

Great post. :agree:

There's a way to get Susac 350 at-bats and Posey 500 at-bats without screwing Brandon Belt. We just have to do the lineup sudoku over and over again until we find it. What are you doing? Don't just stand there, find it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably be too much to pay 6/120, but 5/80 or something? You do that all day.

I think the time to offer him the Pence was in April; I was an advocate of that move. Now, it's going to take closer to a Zito to get him.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the time to offer him the Pence was in April; I was an advocate of that move. Now, it's going to take closer to a Zito to get him.

Yeah I guess so, but to me it's the years not the money (because of the weight/no DH thing, and Posey will be at first so we can't move Panda there if (when?) he balloons).

I'd rather 'overpay' in money than years, 5/100 is better than 6/108 for example.

If it's truly a Zito we should pass though. Panda seems fairly sensitive, he might take a bit less to stay where he's started, known, loved, comfortable, and won rings.

Once again, I'm happy to say I trust the FO so I don't sweat it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great comeback win last night! I honestly thought it was over after 7-1, the reverse of monday night but again it's never over in Williamsport :)

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna throw this out there as a just in case Pablo walks we have somewhat of a plan. Duffy has been slated to play Fall Ball. You usually don't send a guy to play Fall Ball unless there is a plan outside of what he already does. Duffy's real position is shortstop. In the continuation game I believe it was, he played a couple innings at third. Not saying this is the plan, just that it's a maybe. Or they could be sending him there to get some reps at third so he can become the utility infielder so they can let Arias go.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna throw this out there as a just in case Pablo walks we have somewhat of a plan. Duffy has been slated to play Fall Ball. You usually don't send a guy to play Fall Ball unless there is a plan outside of what he already does. Duffy's real position is shortstop. In the continuation game I believe it was, he played a couple innings at third. Not saying this is the plan, just that it's a maybe. Or they could be sending him there to get some reps at third so he can become the utility infielder so they can let Arias go.

I dunno; I think he's going to the AFL to get reps and experience against AAAA talent. I think they see him replacing Scutaro as a reserve IF along with Arias next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arias is still under contract through '15. He aint going anywhere (outside of a trade). And he SHOULDNT go anywhere. He is fine defensively (++) and his bat has woken up. He is NOT a negative on this team.

As for Duffy @ 3B, that is a possibility, but I wonder about his arm. I may prefer moving Craw over with his cannon (if you are going to have both if them in the lineup, might as well take advantage of their strengths).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post. :agree:

There's a way to get Susac 350 at-bats and Posey 500 at-bats without screwing Brandon Belt. We just have to do the lineup sudoku over and over again until we find it. What are you doing? Don't just stand there, find it.

Yes. Plus, with the injury history Belt has had, and Susac has had in the minors, and the desire to keep Posey fresh, shifting these guys in and out of the lineup will be good for everybody.