• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 8/5-8/11: @ TOR, @TB

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/5: Bye

8/6: @ TOR 7:07 pm

8/7: @ TOR 7:07 pm

8/8: @ TOR 7:07 pm

8/9: @ TB 6:50 pm ESPN+

8/10: @ TB 7:15 pm FOX

8/11: @ TB 1:40 pm

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez starting for Rodriguez tonight……it appears that he was ‘puking up his guts’ in the bullpen right before the game was supposed to start.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the stomach thing is incorrect. It was just described on air as “right lat teras discomfort’ that he felt during long toss.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overreaction of the day: DFA Gregory Soto and bring Keegan Akin back up, please...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overreaction of the day: DFA Gregory Soto and bring Keegan Akin back up, please...
Him, Baker or Irvin. Now we know why Philly had no problem dumping him when they had bullpen issues of their own.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him, Baker or Irvin. Now we know why Philly had no problem dumping him when they had bullpen issues of their own.

Advanced stats suggest that this year's Gregory Soto is not unlike last year's Shintaro Fujinami: Someone who can be effectively wild at best, but at worst he's probably "just wild." I suggested Akin mostly as a like-for-like replacement based on this year's performance (and in fact his expected ERA is even lower than his actual ERA), but I could imagine Irvin being called up again assuming that Rodriguez ends up on the IL.

Now, if the team doesn't want to give up on Soto that quickly (due to the sunk cost fallacy), they should at least move him to the mop-up role...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advanced stats suggest that this year's Gregory Soto is not unlike last year's Shintaro Fujinami: Someone who can be effectively wild at best, but at worst he's probably "just wild." I suggested Akin mostly as a like-for-like replacement based on this year's performance (and in fact his expected ERA is even lower than his actual ERA), but I could imagine Irvin being called up again assuming that Rodriguez ends up on the IL.

Now, if the team doesn't want to give up on Soto that quickly (due to the sunk cost fallacy), they should at least move him to the mop-up role...
My thoughts are that if Grayson does go to the IR, they’ll bring back Povich again or they’ll keep Suarez in the rotation and bring up Akin. I’m thinking Irvin and Baker would be 3rd and 4th in line.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From official tweets on today's roster moves (1, 2):

We have made the following roster moves:
  • Recalled LHP Keegan Akin from Triple-A Norfolk.
  • Placed OF Heston Kjerstad on the 10-day injured list (concussion), retroactive to August 1.
  • Placed RHP Grayson Rodriguez on the 15-day injured list (right lat / teres discomfort), retroactive to August 4.

• Recalled RHP Bryan Baker from Triple-A Norfolk.
  • Placed RHP Jacob Webb on the 15-day injured list (right elbow inflammation), retroactive to August 4.

Welp... As other Ravens fans might say, "Is Steve Saunders in charge of the Orioles' strength and conditioning as well?" With the benefit of hindsight, it seems like losing 3 starting pitchers for the season may be a distal cause behind the injuries to other pitchers (increased usage may be a factor?), and you have to wonder whether the Orioles should have adopted a 2022-like trade deadline strategy instead...

Last edited:

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts are that if Grayson does go to the IR, they’ll bring back Povich again or they’ll keep Suarez in the rotation and bring up Akin. I’m thinking Irvin and Baker would be 3rd and 4th in line.
Probably Suarez/Irvin mix. I don’t think they’re going to keep jerking around Povich.

Also, McDermott is on the minor league IL with a ‘scapula stress reaction’ in his shoulder and his no current timetable for his return.

At least this doesn’t appear to be elbow ligament related. But a lat injury can be a 2-3 months process which can end Grayson’s season right now.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a little while ago that Grayson, Webb and Kjerstad all went in the IL and Akin and Baker came up.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a little while ago that Grayson, Webb and Kjerstad all went in the IL and Akin and Baker came up.
MLBTR hasn’t picked up Webb yet, but that’s bad. That means they definitely need to rely more on Dominguez and……Soto.

Kjerstad’s injury coincides with his demotion, so we get credit with the option coming back to us.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBTR hasn’t picked up Webb yet, but that’s bad. That means they definitely need to rely more on Dominguez and……Soto.

Kjerstad’s injury coincides with his demotion, so we get credit with the option coming back to us.
I trust Dominguez more than Soto. I’d have him on a very short leash. He’s looked awful since he got here. I feel like if he is sent down or is DFA’d, it’ll be Irvin coming up.

1723076492200.png

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right elbow inflammation sounds like something else is coming………..this is a true epidemic in the sport right now.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right elbow inflammation sounds like something else is coming………..this is a true epidemic in the sport right now.
Agreed. Seems like we could field a rotation of guys with shoulder and elbow trouble.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This umpire sucks. And he can’t take the heat if he’s going to eject Hyde for everyone chirping at him.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson Holliday is now good at baseball. What a shot

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Anthony Santander giveth, taketh, and giveth from the other side of the plate. Wow. What a game.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I trust Dominguez more than Soto. I’d have him on a very short leash. He’s looked awful since he got here. I feel like if he is sent down or is DFA’d, it’ll be Irvin coming up.

Based on the tiny sample size so far, it looks like the Orioles front office are hitting 0.667 on its trade deadline deals:
  • Hits: Eflin, Dominguez, Jiménez, Slater
  • Misses: Rogers (at least until the 2nd inning of today's game), Soto
This could be worse, but when both misses are pitchers it's probably a wash while Rodriguez and Webb are unavailable.

Regarding Rogers, if the postseason started today, I might prefer penciling in Suárez as the #3 starter or using a two-person relay team for the #3/4 spots. As for Soto: Interestingly, the Fangraphs depth chart currently treats Kimbrel / Cano / Dominguez / Pérez as a closer committee, while listing Akin, Baker, and Soto as middle relievers, and Burch Smith as the long reliever. Assuming no other moves, the last two should probably be swapped to reflect actual usage and recent performance.