• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/30/24 Late GDT Pathetic at Mediocre 7:15

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re being passive aggressive and then blaming others for being angry. Stop. I’m not angry with you, I disagree with you. I’ve been posting with you for over 10 years, if I was angry with you, you’d know it. You’re just trying to win an argument. And yes, I don’t want Snell for 5/$150. You ever worked in sales? You pay the sales guy or gal for what they’ve done and you’ve paid them handsomely and they don’t perform to the same level as they have in the past. Snell and Chappy are both on perform or else contracts. Their baseball cards tell you what they are imhumbleo.

Your dues would at least triple...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, so better to compete and not self destruct then

There are a couple posters who think the team should just tank and play kids and not bother with winning games anymore, I disagree with that idea strongly. Finish strong and either make the playoffs or get close enough that FAs (and we!) see the potential to compete next year.

We might not do it but we absolutely should

I guess you guys prefer being sort of ok/kinda good every year

It absolutely is not. The only way we get rings is take some chances. This is the exact one to take. Or we can keep hoarding “resources” and running prospects out there and being a .500 to fringe 3rd wild card team at best

Bullshit and hypocrite. Talk about straw man. Find me a post where I said that, you are literally straw manning my take. You guys just don’t like disagreement with your wisdom

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche ^^^

Mea culpa I guess for my own straw manning, although that first one had nothing to do with Snell, I was not ready to call the season over then and others were. No straw there.

Still, we should sign Snell, I hope we do.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche ^^^

Mea culpa I guess for my own straw manning, although that first one had nothing to do with Snell, I was not ready to call the season over then and others were. No straw there.

I don’t think anyone on this board likes to see the Giants lose and miss playoffs so often. Our ideas on how to build a good team can differ quite a bit from one another and we can often get cranky about it. I’m still learning how to give you all grace when you all get it wrong and I’m obviously right. But that’s just my humble opinion.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think anyone on this board likes to see the Giants lose and miss playoffs so often. Our ideas on how to build a good team can differ quite a bit from one another and we can often get cranky about it. I’m still learning how to give you all grace when you all get it wrong and I’m obviously right. But that’s just my humble opinion.
a picture of a joker with the words fair enough on the bottom

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Touche ^^^

Sure, but how do you feel about signing Snelk? 8z63rv.jpg

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You_Keep_Using_That_Word_meme_banner.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think anyone on this board likes to see the Giants lose and miss playoffs so often. Our ideas on how to build a good team can differ quite a bit from one another and we can often get cranky about it.
Hell, I often argue both sides of the same issue one day to the next. I argue that our farm is barren, then I post a detailed analysis of how deep we are at each position the next day.

I am a very emotional fan/poster. I am very aware of that and lean into it. I am a fan, after all. And when I make a detailed, researched, logical post, as I am apt to do on occasion, it more times than not started as a quick comparison or list that I put together for my own edification, but I realize there is some meat on that bone and chose to share it (like my rebuild of the minor league roster rules I posted a week or two back).

I don’t “stand behind” many of my baseball takes. They are emotional, for the most parts. But they are very rarely “troll-ish”. I genuinely feel that way WHEN I POST IT. There are some constant themes, of course. For example, the DH is disgusting and any acknowledgement that it exists must be purged from history when the mass hallucination that the US has been a party to for the last 60ish year passes. THAT take is one I 100% stand behind. But my complaints about Belt were done for effect. Sure, they were BASED in actual issues I had with him, but I chose to make him my foil because this board, imho, was TOO pro Belt, and I felt there needed to be a loud counter to that opinion. I also had fun just ripping into him. I did get a perverse joy out of it. But I was NOT serious.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m still learning how to give you all grace when you all get it wrong and I’m obviously right. But that’s just my humble opinion.
Hard (pointless?) to learn how to do something when the circumstances surrounding the thing occurs so seldom.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most fans are emotional. That's just part of being a fan. When you put us all together on one platform it usually leads to some sort of disagreement. This happens quite a bit on this very stage. Since we all are fans ... we are all usually emotional ... doesn't mean there is a right or wrong viewpoint to something ... just some varying opinions on what that viewpoint actually is ...

Example ..... Concerning Snelk!

For me personally .... the core element of the disagreement is really not about the money being thrown to the table for his services ... bur rather the reason for throwing the money to the table ...
Those who want him at any cost see two CYAs .... and tend to classify him as an elite pitcher ....

I tend to disagree with that. His 2 CYAs mark the 2 best years of his 9 year career. His other 7 years paint a very different picture for me. These 7 years paint him as a No 4-5 back of the rotation guy. There is nothing in his metrics for these years that make him elite. This tends to worry me (and other posters). 150M/5YRs .... a great steal for something close to his CYA years, but not a great deal for a back of the rotation guy. That is the gamble I see .... 30M a year for a back end rotation guy is way out of line in todays market ... but probably about right (even a little low) for an elite pitcher. Snelk can be either of these roles .... it's a gamble ..... a 150M gamble ....

I also found a bWAR metric for the top 30 pitchers for the past 5 years. Snelk is ranked 20th. As a comparison, Webb was ranked 17th.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most fans are emotional. That's just part of being a fan. When you put us all together on one platform it usually leads to some sort of disagreement. This happens quite a bit on this very stage. Since we all are fans ... we are all usually emotional ... doesn't mean there is a right or wrong viewpoint to something ... just some varying opinions on what that viewpoint actually is ...

Example ..... Concerning Snelk!

For me personally .... the core element of the disagreement is really not about the money being thrown to the table for his services ... bur rather the reason for throwing the money to the table ...
Those who want him at any cost see two CYAs .... and tend to classify him as an elite pitcher ....

I tend to disagree with that. His 2 CYAs mark the 2 best years of his 9 year career. His other 7 years paint a very different picture for me. These 7 years paint him as a No 4-5 back of the rotation guy. There is nothing in his metrics for these years that make him elite. This tends to worry me (and other posters). 150M/5YRs .... a great steal for something close to his CYA years, but not a great deal for a back of the rotation guy. That is the gamble I see .... 30M a year for a back end rotation guy is way out of line in todays market ... but probably about right (even a little low) for an elite pitcher. Snelk can be either of these roles .... it's a gamble ..... a 150M gamble ....
As I keep saying, the only way this team can compete for championships is to take some gambles. Because the 'no risk' moves like signing Judge or Ohtani are not available to us. Not taking risks means we stay a middling team.
I also found a bWAR metric for the top 30 pitchers for the past 5 years. Snelk is ranked 20th. As a comparison, Webb was ranked 17th.
All the more reason to have both Webb and Snell my man.