• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8.26.16 De La Cruz @ Samardzija

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
460x1240.jpg

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 3 this year. 2 serious ones (money leagues), and 1 random league where I wanted to try out a wacky strategy. I usually average around 3.5 per year.
I may pare down to something closer to that next year. I forgot how much time it takes to keep your teams going.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may pare down to something closer to that next year. I forgot how much time it takes to keep your teams going.
This is exactly why I made the decision years ago (30-ish years ago) to NEVER play fantasy baseball. I played in a simple HR league with my family pre-Internet (it was the year that Cecil Fielder came out of nowhere to be a monster) and I spent so much time just collecting all the box scores each day that I realized that kind of thing was dangerous for me.

I joined a football fantasy league about 15 years ago, and all the time I put into that confirmed that my decision to avoid baseball was a good idea. Not only did it take too much time, but it lessened my fandom of the Niners, and I didn't want that to happen for the Giants.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why I made the decision years ago (30-ish years ago) to NEVER play fantasy baseball. I played in a simple HR league with my family pre-Internet (it was the year that Cecil Fielder came out of nowhere to be a monster) and I spent so much time just collecting all the box scores each day that I realized that kind of thing was dangerous for me.

I joined a football fantasy league about 15 years ago, and all the time I put into that confirmed that my decision to avoid baseball was a good idea. Not only did it take too much time, but it lessened my fandom of the Niners, and I didn't want that to happen for the Giants.

I think fantasy football is worse for team fandom than fantasy baseball. There are so many baseball games where you can afford to root for your fantasy team every now and then, even if it's against your real team. I don't think it's lessened my fandom at all for the Giants. In fantasy football you are actively rooting against your real team every week in favor of your fantasy team, unless you draft your entire real team which is usually not possible (2014 Denver Broncos) or not smart (2016 49ers).

Luckily, I don't really attach myself to any NFL team so I don't run into these issues often. There are just many other reasons I barely play it anymore. I only have one team and it's with my closet group of friends.

Fantasy basketball is vastly underrated, you should give that a try.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fantasy football is worse for team fandom than fantasy baseball. There are so many baseball games where you can afford to root for your fantasy team every now and then, even if it's against your real team. I don't think it's lessened my fandom at all for the Giants. In fantasy football you are actively rooting against your real team every week in favor of your fantasy team, unless you draft your entire real team which is usually not possible (2014 Denver Broncos) or not smart (2016 49ers).

Luckily, I don't really attach myself to any NFL team so I don't run into these issues often. There are just many other reasons I barely play it anymore. I only have one team and it's with my closet group of friends.

Fantasy basketball is vastly underrated, you should give that a try.
I am not really a bball fan. I kinda got sucked in this year because, gun to my head, I am a Dubs fan and my bro is a YUUUUGE Dub fan, but really, I couldn't give a shit.

My freshman year in college, though, I tried a bball fantasy league with my friends in the dorms, and after draft night, it was never mentioned again. Again, this basically pre-Internet (93/94) so it was a lot more work putting these things together.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not really a bball fan. I kinda got sucked in this year because, gun to my head, I am a Dubs fan and my bro is a YUUUUGE Dub fan, but really, I couldn't give a shit.

My freshman year in college, though, I tried a bball fantasy league with my friends in the dorms, and after draft night, it was never mentioned again. Again, this basically pre-Internet (93/94) so it was a lot more work putting these things together.
I think to think that fantasy leagues pre-internet were generally much more time consuming. Most of that ground work that had to be put in by the individuals in the league are done for you by the league providers. However, keeping up on injuries, stats and lineups can take some time each day if you want to do it well. I'm doing it daily but the well part is still a work in progress.