• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/23 Champs @ Picaroons

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, we all knew this going in....we aren't as good as we looked after the ASB, and we aren't as bad as we are now....ESPECIALLY with the injuries.

But we are good enough to beat out a flawed LA team with their own problems. Lots of HTH left, this is a fun pennant race to me

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, we all knew this going in....we aren't as good as we looked after the ASB, and we aren't as bad as we are now....ESPECIALLY with the injuries.

But we are good enough to beat out a flawed LA team with their own problems. Lots of HTH left, this is a fun pennant race to me

On the plus side, we were competitive in every game (no 17-0 blowouts)

We picked up some ground on the Dogs, who cannot buy a run or protect a lead these days.

Losing Herk is borderline catastrophic for this team, though. Even when he is not hitting, he contributes something to this lineup. They are better hitters with him in the lineup. Is it a coincidence that Herk goes on the DL and Posey hits 3-25? I think not.

Still we are in this in the NL West.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, we were competitive in every game (no 17-0 blowouts)

We picked up some ground on the Dogs, who cannot buy a run or protect a lead these days.

Losing Herk is borderline catastrophic for this team, though. Even when he is not hitting, he contributes something to this lineup. They are better hitters with him in the lineup. Is it a coincidence that Herk goes on the DL and Posey hits 3-25? I think not.

Still we are in this in the NL West.

Yeah, man. Injuries matter. But we're showing enough heart to hang around, and LA is proving they aren't that special. Some teams just don't go as planned, like the Nats or Indians or Mariners or Padres or....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad series. Check.

Bad roadie. Check.

Met expectations. Check.

We knew this was a tough roadie. We knew this was a tough month. Neither have been as bad as most of us feared/expected.

Six games and the puff-schedule starts. We are in a VERY good position.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But apparently not too short to type away in a thread about a game you aren't even watching and thereby tick off a lot of Giants fans.

Let's see: I said the odds were poor we'd score 4....check
I said the odds were poor we'd hold them to 3 runs....check.
I said it was over at 3-0.....checkmate.

And then I turned it off. Sorry if that offends you.

Bring on the Cubs, hopefully #weaklink doesn't fly back with the team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really are almost worse than NN.

You call the game over then come back to brag that you were right.

Never mind the fact that the game got to within 1 run at one point...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really are almost worse than NN.

You call the game over then come back to brag that you were right.

Never mind the fact that the game got to within 1 run at one point...

you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains that a 3-0 deficit in the first was insurmountable.

That's how it felt and that's what it was. Why you take that personally, I don't know. If you disagreed at the time, then let's hear about that logic, because I think Tron's moundshattery was pretty conclusive.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You were wrong about the game...check.
Now you're being a complete jerk about it...check.
Thank you for proving that adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it...mate.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you have to give Tzill a break here. It really doesn't matter what he thinks or what any of us think. This year will play itself out on the ball field and as MSG stated ... it will be decided by the 7 games we have remaining with the Doggies. I don't think we catch either the Cubs or the Pirates. The Doggies are within our sights. They are very 'catchable'. We didn't lose last night because Tzill predicted it in the 1st inning. We lost because our offense is just not there at the moment. Pence is a big piece that is missing but he's not the only piece. We need panic back and we need Buster to come back to the level when he was at a .332 BA. He's dropped almost 20 points in average as well as a total loss of power. Injuries and a Posey slump are our main enemies at the moment, not Tzill.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were wrong about the game...check.
Now you're being a complete jerk about it...check.
Thank you for proving that adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it...mate.

I think you may want to look up the word "wrong." It doesn't mean what you think it does.

The game was over in the first. Don't take it personally.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you have to give Tzill a break here. It really doesn't matter what he thinks or what any of us think. This year will play itself out on the ball field and as MSG stated ... it will be decided by the 7 games we have remaining with the Doggies. I don't think we catch either the Cubs or the Pirates. The Doggies are within our sights. They are very 'catchable'. We didn't lose last night because Tzill predicted it in the 1st inning. We lost because our offense is just not there at the moment. Pence is a big piece that is missing but he's not the only piece. We need panic back and we need Buster to come back to the level when he was at a .332 BA. He's dropped almost 20 points in average as well as a total loss of power. Injuries and a Posey slump are our main enemies at the moment, not Tzill.

I appreciate that, but I think what upsets people so much is that I voice what they're thinking as well. That's why it resonates -- an honest Giant fan thought the game was pretty much over in the first yesterday. Now, there was a chance that they could come back, but it wasn't likely given the givens. Anyone who didn't have that thought last night is either lying or delusional.

Bring on the Cubs!!

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that, but I think what upsets people so much is that I voice what they're thinking as well. That's why it resonates -- an honest Giant fan thought the game was pretty much over in the first yesterday. Now, there was a chance that they could come back, but it wasn't likely given the givens. Anyone who didn't have that thought last night is either lying or delusional.

Bring on the Cubs!!

Your thoughts about Cain vs. Arrieta on Tuesday? Arrieta has a 1.41 ERA since 7/1.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thoughts about Cain vs. Arrieta on Tuesday? Arrieta has a 1.41 ERA since 7/1.

I'm willing to wait and see on Cain. His last start was encouraging. Also, we're at home and they did sweep us in Chitago. As long as Cain doesn't crap the mound, I think we'll be ok.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

'Probability' and 'fandom' don't always go together my friend. ;)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Probability' and 'fandom' don't always go together my friend. ;)

I dunno. The two notions are not connected, but I think most of us can hold more than one idea in our head at a time. I guess I've never really bought into the whole "never be negative about your team or you're not a REAL fan" idea. For me, it's not personal. For others, it clearly is. And that's ok too.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. The two notions are not connected, but I think most of us can hold more than one idea in our head at a time. I guess I've never really bought into the whole "never be negative about your team or you're not a REAL fan" idea. For me, it's not personal. For others, it clearly is. And that's ok too.
Tz.....you read way too far into that. It was a joke. ;)

That said, I never said people couldn't hold more than one idea in their head.....and never said real fans couldn't be negative about their team. ;)

Just trying to say that the fan in me thinks the team can come back from a 3 run deficit.....the betting filo would NOT think the team was gonna overcome that deficit. :heh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tz.....you read way too far into that. It was a joke. ;)

That said, I never said people couldn't hold more than one idea in their head.....and never said real fans couldn't be negative about their team. ;)

Just trying to say that the fan in me thinks the team can come back from a 3 run deficit.....the betting filo would NOT think the team was gonna overcome that deficit. :heh:

Gotcha. :dunce:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not offended at all, just pushing back on your abrasive and combative style. Sometimes people don't see themselves the way others see them. Sometimes the way you post....it's not a good look.

It's not that we're 'taking it personally', we just like to hope for better outcomes early in games. And you don't have to go along at all. A simple 'this sucks, game over' and then disappearing works great IMO. You prefer to fight until we admit you are right. Just let us revel in our wrongness, maybe we won't get so butthurt....