• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/12 Ass-tros @ Champs

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this certainly looks likely, I dont think this is official yet. Bochy said after the game that he was woozy, but that they would re-evaluate him tomorrow.

We have lost two legit .300 hitters in the last week. That is not a small deal.

Not official, yet, but there is this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting shut down by a somewhat average pitcher
Have you watched the Giants over the last 5 years or so? This has been a regular feature of this team.

They will hit Verlander like he is a little-league dropout, but then almost get no-hit by Despaigne.

As for them acquiring an OFer, that just did not make sense. Why give up our assets to cover for injuries that we have not experienced yet? Aoki was coming back from the leg, sure, but he was going to be fine (there was no reason to think otherwise). Pagan was an issue, but Blanco has been having a monster year, and has filled in admirably in the past. The real hole on this team was the rotation, and they addressed that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not official, yet, but there is this.

So, assuming it does happen (and I fully expect it to happen, even before this tweet), who comes up?

Lollis?
Parker?
Ford???
Williamson???

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, assuming it does happen (and I fully expect it to happen, even before this tweet), who comes up?

Lollis?
Parker?
Ford???
Williamson???

Lollis and Parker are on the 40 man roster, so I would guess they are the first up. Mac is just not having a good season at AAA.

I'd love to see Hunter Cole have a cuppo. He is tearing up the Eastern League.

I think we may also have something in Austin Slater Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball 22 year old IF out of Stanford, and has hit at every level. Very Duffy-esque, though without the power. Yet. He's a good fielder at 2b, not good at ss, but has interestingly enough played 30 games in CF and RF, almost 1/4 of his minor league experience. He was an OF in college.

He was a mid-season all star at San Jose, and has moved to Richmond. And hit better there than in San Jose.

From Dr. B

Saturday, January 17, 2015
DrB's 2015 Giants Top 50 Prospects: #24 Austin Slater

Austin Slater, OF. DOB: 112/13/1992. B-R, T-R. 6'1", 194 lbs.

2014 College(Stanford): .341/.386/.493, 17 2B, 6 3B, 2 HR, 6 SB, 16 BB, 29 K, 229 AB
2014 Rookie AZL: .333/.333/.556, 3B, 0 BB%, 22.2 K%, 9 PA
2014 Short Season: .347/.417/.449, 6 2B, 2 HR, 7.6 BB%, 12.9 K%, 132 PA

Austin Slater was the Giants 8'th round draft pick in 2014 out of Stanford where he played CF and really blossomed at the plate his junior season. He then just kept right on peppering the field with basehits in his first professional season displaying the high contact approach that the Giants currently emphasize.

I found a Perfect Game scouting report from his HS days(he was drafted in round 44 by the Dodgers out of HS, but did not sign and went to college): "Has all the tools, 6.67 runner, 91 IF, very good D actions, CAN REALLY HIT(caps are mine), 5 tool talent."

I also found a batting practice video from Stanford. He has almost no extraneous movement in the batters box. Very slight load, front foot moves forward and toward the plate by about 1 inch. Stiff wristed swing with a hip turn. That's about it. Sound familiar? Kind of like a mirror image of Joe Panik and not unlike Daniel Carbonell's much criticized swing.

I think there is more power in there somewhere, but he has huge hit tool. I look forward to seeing him play for the San Jose Giants in 2015.

Stanford outfielder Austin Slater drafted by Giants | MLB.com

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between the injuries and the brutal schedule, we just gotta find a way to stay in the hunt the next couple of weeks. Hard to feel strongly that will happen....injuries matter.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched the Giants over the last 5 years or so? This has been a regular feature of this team.

They will hit Verlander like he is a little-league dropout, but then almost get no-hit by Despaigne.

As for them acquiring an OFer, that just did not make sense. Why give up our assets to cover for injuries that we have not experienced yet? Aoki was coming back from the leg, sure, but he was going to be fine (there was no reason to think otherwise). Pagan was an issue, but Blanco has been having a monster year, and has filled in admirably in the past. The real hole on this team was the rotation, and they addressed that.

I agree with you that the rotation is the main problem, but that does not mean that the OF is not also an issue to be addressed. Pagan's injury problems have caused a huge hole in the OF, despite Aoki coming back from the leg injury and Blanco's solid season. Are you comfortable with Maxwell starting on a consistent basis? As for giving up assets to acquire an OF (like for Parra before he ended up in BAL), that would be something to be done within reason without selling the farm system. Hopefully, they can make a deal similar to the one for Ross in 2010, getting someone unclaimed through waivers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that the rotation is the main problem, but that does not mean that the OF is not also an issue to be addressed. Pagan's injury problems have caused a huge hole in the OF, despite Aoki coming back from the leg injury and Blanco's solid season. Are you comfortable with Maxwell starting on a consistent basis? As for giving up assets to acquire an OF (like for Parra before he ended up in BAL), that would be something to be done within reason without selling the farm system. Hopefully, they can make a deal similar to the one for Ross in 2010, getting someone unclaimed through waivers.
No, I am not OK with Max starting on a consistent basis. But his starting is due to a completely unforeseen injury.

No team can have depth at every position. You need to identify your weak points and address them with out bending over and squeezing like a pig. Getting a starting-level OF at the deadline was not a realistic get for the Giants. They had Pence, Pagan and Aoki, with Blanco ready to step in for Pagan if needed. That is better than the OF we had last year in the playoffs.

Complaining now, with 20/20 hindsight is something you are allowed to do. You a fan wi your own life and job. Evans et al did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but DID have the benefit of knowing what the options would have cost in order to acquire them, and they decided the costs were too high. I trust their decision making.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am not OK with Max starting on a consistent basis. But his starting is due to a completely unforeseen injury.

No team can have depth at every position. You need to identify your weak points and address them with out bending over and squeezing like a pig. Getting a starting-level OF at the deadline was not a realistic get for the Giants. They had Pence, Pagan and Aoki, with Blanco ready to step in for Pagan if needed. That is better than the OF we had last year in the playoffs.

Complaining now, with 20/20 hindsight is something you are allowed to do. You a fan wi your own life and job. Evans et al did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but DID have the benefit of knowing what the options would have cost in order to acquire them, and they decided the costs were too high. I trust their decision making.

If the costs were too high at the trade deadline, that's understandable, fine. Hopefully, Evans is still exploring options. If they don't make the playoffs, at least stay in the race until the final week. Don't fall out of it by early Sept. I trust them, too. Just suggesting how the team could possibly get better through this brutal stretch.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust that they are always looking at all possibilities. Most of which we never hear about or even imagine exist. Sometimes they will make the wrong decision to trade or not to trade (McGehee), but I doubt they ever "didn't try".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, I read that somewhere....:kev: