• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7th Round - Jonathan Cooper

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30. JONATHON COOPER | Ohio State 6025 | 253 lbs. | rSR. Gahanna, Ohio (Lincoln) 1/8/1998 (age 23.31) #0
BACKGROUND: Jonathon Cooper was born and raised in the suburbs of Columbus and attended Lincoln High School in Gahanna. He earned immediate reps as a pass rusher on the varsity squad and emerged as one of the better players in the Columbus area as a sophomore. As a senior, Cooper helped Lincoln to a 7-4 record and playoff appearance, finishing the 2015 season with 67 tackles, 18.0 tackles for loss and 12.0 sacks. He was named Ohio’s Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-State honors.
A four-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Cooper was the No. 3 ranked weakside defensive end in the class and the No. 2 recruit in the state of Ohio (behind Notre Dame’s Tommy Kraemer). He received offers from Kentucky, Michigan State and Notre Dame, but he grew up in an Ohio State family and committed to the Buckeyes as a junior, calling it a “dream come true.” He graduated with his degree in consumer & family financial studies (December 2019). Cooper accepted his invitation to the 2021 Senior Bowl.
YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES
2016: (6/0) 2017: (14/0) 2018: (13/13) 2019: (4/4) 2020: (8/8) Total: (45/25)
6 1.0 1.0 0 15 3.0 2.0 0 25 6.5 2.5 0 5 1.0 1.0 0 24 3.5 3.5 1 75 15.0 10.0 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 2 0
Honorable Mention All-Big Ten; Blocked XP
Missed 10 games due to an ankle injury and redshirted; Team captain Third Team All-Big Ten; Team captain
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE N/A (Combine canceled)
PRO DAY 6025 253 32 1/8 9 5/8 77 1/4 4.70 2.78 1.65 33 9’0” 4.31 7.02 28
[158]

STRENGTHS: Hard-charging rusher off the edge...competes with physical hands to lean into contact and land his punches, powering through blockers...slams on the gas pedal and plays with relentless hustle in pursuit...sets up tackles with his upfield rush, cutting back inside and attacking inside rush lanes...violent tackler to ground ball carriers once he makes contact...stays alert to make plays on the backside, focusing on his responsibilities and not the flow of the play...innately motivated with outstanding football character...two-time team captain and everyone in the program “looks up to him,” according to the OSU coaches.
WEAKNESSES: Quick, but loud feet...straight-linish tendencies and doesn’t rush with the body flexibility to wrap the corner...he eagerly gets his hands involved mid- rush, but lacks ideal length and there is too much wasted movement in his attack...multiple hands-to-the-face penalties on tapes studied due to his erratic hands...needs to streamline his pass rush plan...needs to anticipate runs to his side of the field to win body position...suffered a high right ankle sprain (August 2019) that required tight rope surgery, missing most of the 2019 season (could have returned earlier, but wanted to preserve his redshirt); Underwent hernia surgery (February 2020); He was diagnosed with arrhythmia and underwent multiple heart surgeries when he was 14 years old to address his abnormal heart rhythm.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Cooper lined up at left and right defensive end in defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs’ four-man front. After his 2019 season was disrupted by an ankle injury, he bet on himself by redshirting and returning in 2020, earning the “Block O” jersey for his leadership and boosting his NFL profile with his play on the field. Cooper goes full speed on every play and flashes the pop in his hands to convert his speed to power as a downhill rusher. While he plays alert and urgent, he is average athletically and plays with too much wasted motion, which will be tougher to mask vs. NFL-level blockers. Overall, Cooper rushes more with energy than sequence or skill, but his relentless, hard-charging style and uplifting locker room presence give him a fighting chance in the NFL. He projects as a rotational rusher.
GRADE: 6th-7th Round

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't expect him to be here in Round 7 for us.... A guy who continues to get better each week. Really came on late this year... I think his best football is still head. A very smart guy. Great character... Has a great motor... I think for the most part we drafted quality character people this year as well. Little over shadowed on a well known Ohio State defense.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't expect him to be here in Round 7 for us.... A guy who continues to get better each week. Really came on late this year... I think his best football is still head. A very smart guy. Great character... Has a great motor... I think for the most part we drafted quality character people this year as well. Little over shadowed on a well known Ohio State defense.
Nice to hear this appraisal - from someone I respect -because Coop was my least favorite draft pick. Go Broncos!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had pegged Janarius Robinson and Cooper as great value day 3 edges. Robinson I liked a bit more he went rd 4. I had Cooper rd 5 and he went rd 7.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I beginning to like Mr. Cooper - bring it!

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper's work ethic and character reminds me of Malik Reed. Just an all around hard working, good guy... He wants it REALLY bad.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 7th round, you're either looking for a diamond in the rough to surprise everyone, or you're looking for depth that will help your team. Barring injury, I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team, and be a solid depth guy...I don't think he'll allow it to not happen. And he'll be a great locker room presence.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the video where he got drafted by the Broncos and went outside where a bunch of neighborhood kids came running to his house to congratulate him. The guy is contagious as a person.

One thing I pay close attention to, as something that stands out to me when I am helping one of the indoor teams I help first hand, is to see how other teammates gravitate to a person. It tells you a lot about a person's character and personality. The best players don't talk about themselves and put other players down.. They let their actions speak for them and teammates love them and look up to them for it. The best players don't talk about what they are going to do... They just do it..... and they uplift their teammates and encourage and root for them.. I feel Cooper fits that mold. He wants the best for everyone around him. Very unselfish characteristic.. A characteristic I look for when helping players going forward. Those are the things that move a player forward. Those are the kind of people I want to help!!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 7th round, you're either looking for a diamond in the rough to surprise everyone, or you're looking for depth that will help your team. Barring injury, I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team, and be a solid depth guy...I don't think he'll allow it to not happen. And he'll be a great locker room presence.

YES!!!!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a girl makes you change your mind as fast as we do, we might have a problem.
I've been divorced for 37 very pleasant years - which in bachelor talk is known as "escape velocity." I no longer have any gravitation pull towards marriage.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the video where he got drafted by the Broncos and went outside where a bunch of neighborhood kids came running to his house to congratulate him. The guy is contagious as a person.

One thing I pay close attention to, as something that stands out to me when I am helping one of the indoor teams I help first hand, is to see how other teammates gravitate to a person. It tells you a lot about a person's character and personality. The best players don't talk about themselves and put other players down.. They let their actions speak for them and teammates love them and look up to them for it. The best players don't talk about what they are going to do... They just do it..... and they uplift their teammates and encourage and root for them.. I feel Cooper fits that mold. He wants the best for everyone around him. Very unselfish characteristic.. A characteristic I look for when helping players going forward. Those are the things that move a player forward. Those are the kind of people I want to help!!
Those are the guys who play on championship teams - I think Javonte Williams is also one of those guys.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been divorced for 37 very pleasant years - which in bachelor talk is known as "escape velocity." I no longer have any gravitation pull towards marriage.

I have come to the conclusion this is the smart way to go!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are the guys who play on championship teams - I think Javonte Williams is also one of those guys.

Patrick Surtain SR was one of those guys... and I sense his son is too!

Could it be a common theme this year? Because I know Baron Browning fits that mold as well.