• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7/31 Gs @ As

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good player, and I would be fine having him back, but he isn't a needle-mover. I would just assume put every available dollar (do we even have any of those?) into the bully. Maybe some late-off-season bat-adds.

And trades, of course. Lots and lots of trades.

The Giants will receive many, many, many bags of baseballs. Who would want any of these jokers?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants will receive many, many, many bags of baseballs. Who would want any of these jokers?
I have already stated that I am in favor of dealing Bum. I think he could pull AT LEAST 2 big time blue-chippers. And it is best to trade him before he gets the huge contract that makes him untradable.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barer of bad news..... Cueto left his rehab start with forearm tightness. The worst kind of tightness.

This is turning into the worst season in Giants' history. Seriously, nothing has gone right.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barer of bad news..... Cueto left his rehab start with forearm tightness. The worst kind of tightness.

This is turning into the worst season in Giants' history. Seriously, nothing has gone right.

1985 is the gold standard there and yeah...we are very much in range

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already stated that I am in favor of dealing Bum. I think he could pull AT LEAST 2 big time blue-chippers. And it is best to trade him before he gets the huge contract that makes him untradable.

I strongly disagree here. I hope the Giants are like me, ride or die with Bum and Posey to the end, even if the "math" says trade them. Some things are more important (to me). There was a 9 year gap for Jeter and Mariano and Posada from 2000-2009, I want those guys leading the team for their entire careers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1985 is the gold standard there and yeah...we are very much in range
This season is worse. The team may add some very nice pieces in the draft (hopefully), but the team is financially strapped for the foreseeable future. 2018 is a sunk season already. Cueto may be out, Pence and Span will be playing out their paychecks. Cain will be collecting his pension. Crawford, Posey, Belt, Melancon and Sammy will be playing music on the deck while the ship goes down.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I strongly disagree here. I hope the Giants are like me, ride or die with Bum and Posey to the end, even if the "math" says trade them. Some things are more important (to me). There was a 9 year gap for Jeter and Mariano and Posada from 2000-2009, I want those guys leading the team for their entire careers.
SPs just don't last that long nowadays. I am cool with keeping Posey and Craw. But Bum will start his fall within the next few years, and the Giants aren't going anywhere in that timeframe.

Rebuilding teams don't need an Ace.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record (which I have also stated many times), I agree that the team will not trade Bum. They will ride him til he falls, and his 30M/y contract will haunt us through the 20's.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPs just don't last that long nowadays. I am cool with keeping Posey and Craw. But Bum will start his fall within the next few years, and the Giants aren't going anywhere in that timeframe.

Rebuilding teams don't need an Ace.

Nah, Bum's gonna win WS MVP again for us when we beat the White Sox in 2020. #evenyearmagic

Believe! :nod:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I don't want to dwell on it too much because it's so hypothetical, the Giants would never go this route....

but it makes a lot of sense to go full, all out rebuild. Starting with Bum. His trade value will never be higher (is going down) this offseason. He has a ton of millage on that left arm, I think it's pretty fair to say that it's frightening to think about it long term.

Obviously when Bum is traded, you sort of have the right of passage to keep going. Trade everyone outside of Posey, and probably Crawford as you're not likely to extract proper value out of him, and as it stands there's not many options down the line. Trade Span and Pence for nothing if possible, the prospects you'd get for everyone else covers that cost.

Be bad for a few years, give the sales team a challenge for once.