• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.17 barleymen @ Charlotte

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would probably cost BOTH Luciano AND Harrison. And more good prospects on top of that (one or two of Dabovich, Hjelli, Ramos, Matos, Castro…)
And none of those are likely to ever be near as good as Soto. It's like getting Luciano to turn into what we all hope he will, right now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And none of those are likely to ever be near as good as Soto. It's like getting Luciano to turn into what we all hope he will, right now.
And what what have the Angels been able to do with Trout and nobody else (or Trout and Ohtani and nobody else)? Baseball is a team sport.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes it kind of interesting. 2 more years of Soto, who is only 23 years old. He's exactly what you hope one of the prospects turns out to be, and he's already there. He's 2 years younger than Bart.

Might be a good case for trading the farm for him, 2 great years and maybe you sign him up for more.

Just a thought. It would be the biggest get since Bonds.

That said, the whole league from the usual on down (Yankees, Dodgers, Mets) will be in on him so we'd probably get outbid.
He will be asking a lot of money in any extension talks too. It will be interesting to see what his actual cost will be but I can only assume, too, that we'd get outbid by a richer farm system.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what what have the Angels been able to do with Trout and nobody else (or Trout and Ohtani and nobody else)? Baseball is a team sport.
Indeed, so let's never bring in anyone. We'd probably just fuck it up like the Angels.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be asking a lot of money in any extension talks too. It will be interesting to see what his actual cost will be but I can only assume, too, that we'd get outbid by a richer farm system.
Heck yeah he'll ask for a ton. Just turned down $440 million over 15 years. But as I said previously, it's time to stop fucking around and overpay some legit stud.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck yeah he'll ask for a ton. Just turned down $440 million over 15 years. But as I said previously, it's time to stop fucking around and overpay some legit stud.
He was right to turn that down, though. It is only about 29m aav. I would sign him to that contract out of my own pocket if he would sign it (I might have to sell the helicopter, though).

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he can help the Giants win the same way Bonds did.
Yeah Bonds was a total bust, I did forget that. Same as Will Clark and Willie McCovey.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was right to turn that down, though. It is only about 29m aav. I would sign him to that contract out of my own pocket if he would sign it (I might have to sell the helicopter, though).
I think he also just wants to play in a glamor city probably. But yes he can get far more AAV. And I hope we give it to him, we'll have to really overpay to get a hitter here. I suspect like always the Dodgers or Yankees or someone like that will get him. I just want that narrative to change.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bonds was a total bust, I did forget that. Same as Will Clark and Willie McCovey.
Don’t be dense.

It is about paying a single player so much you don’t surround him with other talent. Or he is so good he sucks the air out of the room.

Trading Harrison, Luciano, plus one or two additional TOP prospects just for the CHANCE to dedicate 35% of your payroll for the next generation to the guy is not a good team building strategy. Sign him as a FA and over pay him. I am OK with that. But don’t drain your farm AND overpay him. That is a bad move.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t be dense.

It is about paying a single player so much you don’t surround him with other talent. Or he is so good he sucks the air out of the room.

Trading Harrison, Luciano, plus one or two additional TOP prospects just for the CHANCE to dedicate 35% of your payroll for the next generation to the guy is not a good team building strategy. Sign him as a FA and over pay him. I am OK with that. But don’t drain your farm AND overpay him. That is a bad move.
Yes but then you brought up Bonds and implied that we didn't win with him (we did, a lot) and that it was somehow a bad idea to have gotten him.

In the end you might be right about not trading for him, I said that in the first post, something to debate. As far as signing him, we just can't get big name hitters to come here, maybe if he has 2 great years here and likes the organization we have a shot.

But as I said, we probably get outbid both for a trade or for a signing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but then you brought up Bonds and implied that we didn't win with him (we did, a lot) and that it was somehow a bad idea to have gotten him.

In the end you might be right about not trading for him, I said that in the first post, something to debate. As far as signing him, we just can't get big name hitters to come here, maybe if he has 2 great years here and likes the organization we have a shot.

But as I said, we probably get outbid both for a trade or for a signing.
4 pennants in 15 years with a lost World Series 8 years after signing him is not my idea of winning “a lot”. I am glad we got him, all said. But in baseball, if you are looking to win chips, PAYING your best player what he is worth is not the way to do it. That just handcuffs you from filling the rest of the roster.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crushed noo GIF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t be too upset. It has been parked on my front lawn on blocks for the last couple years. Right next to my non-functioning fountain.

Dont worry, though. I knew the neighbors would think it an eyesore, so I covered it with a big blue tarp to avoid that issue.

tenor.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t be too upset. It has been parked on my front lawn on blocks for the last couple years. Right next to my non-functioning fountain.

Dont worry, though. I knew the neighbors would think it an eyesore, so I covered it with a big blue tarp to avoid that issue.

tenor.gif

Dj Khaled Compliment GIF

I know someone who knows someone who lives down the street from someone else. You interested in any monster truck tires for your helicopter? It'd really spruce up the yard.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the overpay any year, any player.

That said, if you're going to do it....this would be the guy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t be dense.

This is the issue. If we get Soto, who is his "Jeff Kent" to protect him in the lineup.

FZ is smarter than we are though. If they get him, they'll have a plan.