• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.3 Wholestaff @ Snakes (6:40pm)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta respect Randy there. He really has Doval’s back in his time of need.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was challenged, and it appeared the first baseman tagged Soler running by.
My question isn’t whether he was out or not. Since Chappy scored BEFORE Soler was TAGGED out, I am arguing that the run should have counted based on timing.

Moot point, sure. But I would like an explanation on that…

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question isn’t whether he was out or not. Since Chappy scored BEFORE Soler was TAGGED out, I am arguing that the run should have counted based on timing.

myself as well. i always though that exclusive of a force out, any run that crosses home prior to the out stands

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't see the play so I'm not sure what happened. However, assuming it was a play where Soler hit the ball and was heading to 1st base, I believe in those cases the run scored does not count because, had the ball been thrown to a fielder covering 1st base, he would have automatically been out. I think it is only in an instance where the out has to be applied via tag that the runner scoring first would count.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moot point, sure. But I would like an explanation
It shocks me that you don’t know this rule What you are referring to only happens between first base and home. The batter never reached first base so the timing of the runner crossing the plate never comes into play

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
myself as well. i always though that exclusive of a force out, any run that crosses home prior to the out stands
It is a force out. The hitter is “forced”to go to 1st base. He can’t go back to the plate. The timing of the run crossing the plate only happens when the runner being tagged has an option to go forward or backward, ie a rundown. This play was not that

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a force out. The hitter is “forced”to go to 1st base. He can’t go back to the plate. The timing of the run crossing the plate only happens when the runner being tagged has an option to go forward or backward, ie a rundown. This play was not that
You are right. I got lazy and didn't check the rules. Here's the rule as the batter is required to take 1st and it doesn't matter whether the out is by tagging the runner or base

2-24-1 A force-out is a putout during which a runner who is being forced to advance is tagged out, or is put out by a fielder who holds the ball while touching the base toward which the forced runner is advancing (9-1-1 for special case.)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the play so I'm not sure what happened. However, assuming it was a play where Soler hit the ball and was heading to 1st base, I believe in those cases the run scored does not count because, had the ball been thrown to a fielder covering 1st base, he would have automatically been out. I think it is only in an instance where the out has to be applied via tag that the runner scoring first would count.
Soler hit the ball. Chappy, on third, was running on the play. The fielder fielded the ball, but threw high to the 1B. Chappy, meanwhile crossed home WELL before the play completed. The 1B jumped up to catch the errant throw, but performed a successful swipe tag on Soler.

Soler was the batter AND the 3rd out, before reaching 1st base. But since the out was a tag play and not a force out, I would think the timing rule would be in effect. Apparently, since, essentially, Soler had a “force advance” on him, a tag out equates to a force out, thus trumping the timing play.