• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.16 Angels @ NotHarry

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 9-run 4th inning with Soler even getting into the act. Avoided the sweep

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my type of game...like at all. So, I'm glad I went for a long hike in Marin today. That said, it was encouraging that six starters had multi-hit games. All the pitchers were good except Miller who was meh and Doval who was awful.

Odd week coming up: Three at Wrigley and then immediately to Rickwood, then a Friday off before two more in STL.

Tentative pitching rotation --
Mon: Hicks v. Assad
Tue: Webb v. Steele
Wed: Wholestaff v. Hendricks
Thu: Winn v. Pallante
Sat: Wholestaff v. Mikolas
Sun: Hicks v. Gray

Gonna be tough to go 4-2 and get back to .500

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m wondering if the giants have started to go deep into his troubles? Like is he tipping his pitches? Is he better against lefties or righties? Is he better with certain catchers? Night games vs day games? What has shattered his confidence? Is their home issues? Is there a past injury that might still be there but he is hiding? Has he changed his delivery or when he releases the ball? Has there been any teammate problems? I’m sure there are more they could look at, but to me they haven’t looked deep or think he will work it out on his own. In the meantime I suffer. :nerd:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m wondering if the giants have started to go deep into his troubles? Like is he tipping his pitches? Is he better against lefties or righties? Is he better with certain catchers? Night games vs day games? What has shattered his confidence? Is their home issues? Is there a past injury that might still be there but he is hiding? Has he changed his delivery or when he releases the ball? Has there been any teammate problems? I’m sure there are more they could look at, but to me they haven’t looked deep or think he will work it out on his own. In the meantime I suffer. :nerd:
They live in this stuff. They have looked into those issue, and a thousand more you couldn’t begin to imagine. It could be physical. It could be mental (this is my guess). it could just be bad luck (I doubt that’s it, he seems like he can’t find the plate to save his life).

His body language is AWFUL! He looks like he wants to be ANYWHERE but on the mound. But just because that’s what we all clearly see, doesn’t mean that’s how he is really feeling.

At least we have Crawford coming up soon…

(Just kidding guys. Relax)

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They live in this stuff. They have looked into those issue, and a thousand more you couldn’t begin to imagine. It could be physical. It could be mental (this is my guess). it could just be bad luck (I doubt that’s it, he seems like he can’t find the plate to save his life).

His body language is AWFUL! He looks like he wants to be ANYWHERE but on the mound. But just because that’s what we all clearly see, doesn’t mean that’s how he is really feeling.

Well I’m not impressed by the results. Either they figured out the cause(s) but the solutions are not working or they still can’t figure him out. Their thinking at this point should be we need to find someone else. We won but I’m not as happy as I should be.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way this came on suddenly and the body language on the mound makes me wonder if there is some family or relational issue he is dealing with and either the team doesn't know about it or they won't share anything about it.
When you look at his 2022 to 2023 numbers, you'll see improvements in just about every area. His hits per 9 went from 7.2 to 6.8. His walks per 9 went from 4.0 to 3.5. His Ks per 9 went from 10.6 to 11.6. His home runs per 9 went from 0.5 to 0.4. Obviously, there has been a huge regression in all fronts (8.8, 6.8, 11.4, 1.0).
I looked up his monthly splits for this year. What I noticed is that, while his ERA was decent to good in March/April (3.38) and May (2.25), there were some concerning trends - while this his hits per 9 (7.6, 6) went down from March/April, his walks per 9 (5.1, 6.8) went up. His K rate also took a bit of a dip (11.8 to 11.3). However, June became suddenly very alarming. Granted, most of the stink comes from last's night game, June has still be bad. On this month, opposing batters are hitting .417/.517/.750 so far. His hits per 9 (18) and walks per 9 (10.8) are through the roof, while his Ks per 9 (10.8) continues a downward trend.
I maintain that I think this is a blip but it does seem mental and will only be a blip if he can figure out what is going on and fix it. Because I don't know the reason for the mental struggles, I don't know how easily it will be to fix what is going on. Maybe it does take him out of baseball in the next couple of years. Maybe he gets stronger and becomes a dominant reliever for a decade. I certainly hope for the latter.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way this came on suddenly and the body language on the mound makes me wonder if there is some family or relational issue he is dealing with and either the team doesn't know about it or they won't share anything about it.
When you look at his 2022 to 2023 numbers, you'll see improvements in just about every area. His hits per 9 went from 7.2 to 6.8. His walks per 9 went from 4.0 to 3.5. His Ks per 9 went from 10.6 to 11.6. His home runs per 9 went from 0.5 to 0.4. Obviously, there has been a huge regression in all fronts (8.8, 6.8, 11.4, 1.0).
I looked up his monthly splits for this year. What I noticed is that, while his ERA was decent to good in March/April (3.38) and May (2.25), there were some concerning trends - while this his hits per 9 (7.6, 6) went down from March/April, his walks per 9 (5.1, 6.8) went up. His K rate also took a bit of a dip (11.8 to 11.3). However, June became suddenly very alarming. Granted, most of the stink comes from last's night game, June has still be bad. On this month, opposing batters are hitting .417/.517/.750 so far. His hits per 9 (18) and walks per 9 (10.8) are through the roof, while his Ks per 9 (10.8) continues a downward trend.
I maintain that I think this is a blip but it does seem mental and will only be a blip if he can figure out what is going on and fix it. Because I don't know the reason for the mental struggles, I don't know how easily it will be to fix what is going on. Maybe it does take him out of baseball in the next couple of years. Maybe he gets stronger and becomes a dominant reliever for a decade. I certainly hope for the latter.
Thanks for doing the research. I'd say that most of that awfulness, as you point out, has to do with Sundays appearance. There are some concerning trends but I'd take a wait and see approach through the break to see if he can right himself. His FB is elite and I'm not sure Tyler is ready to close.