• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

53-man Roster

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how desperate at CB are we? We signed 33 year old vet Josh Norman. Doesn't exactly show a lot of faith in Ambry or Lenoir, with Ambry in particular looking lost in PS.

Is this another year we see our poor drafting bite us in the ass when we have no depth on the OL and CB?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how desperate at CB are we? We signed 33 year old vet Josh Norman. Doesn't exactly show a lot of faith in Ambry or Lenoir, with Ambry in particular looking lost in PS.

Is this another year we see our poor drafting bite us in the ass when we have no depth on the OL and CB?
I wonder if Josh Norman can still play. Where we seem to be really thin to me is at Linebacker. And, yeah, Ambry Thomas looks awful.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Successful teams, consistent teams, NEED to have consistent drafts. No one is perfect but you have to be minimum 'above NFL average'.

We haven't draft well in the higher rounds, go figure?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Successful teams, consistent teams, NEED to have consistent drafts. No one is perfect but you have to be minimum 'above NFL average'.

We haven't draft well in the higher rounds, go figure?
That's an interesting point.

First 4 drafts:
  1. DT S.Thomas; 1b. LB R.Foster; 3. CB A.Witherspoon, 3b. QB CJ Beathard
  2. OT M.McGlinchey; 2. WR D.Pettis; 3. LB F.Warner; 3b. DB T.Moore
  3. DE N.Bosa; 2. WR D.Samuel; 3. WR J.Hurd
  4. DT J.Kinlaw; 1. WR B.Aiyuk
That’s 13 picks in the first 3 rounds over 4 years.
4 very good players—Warner, Bosa, Samuel, Aiyuk
1 just ok player--McGlinchey
6 complete busts—Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Beathard, Pettis, Hurd
1 near bust—Moore
1 undecided--Kinlaw

Not the best track record, but we've seemingly done better recently.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting point.

First 4 drafts:
  1. DT S.Thomas; 1b. LB R.Foster; 3. CB A.Witherspoon, 3b. QB CJ Beathard
  2. OT M.McGlinchey; 2. WR D.Pettis; 3. LB F.Warner; 3b. DB T.Moore
  3. DE N.Bosa; 2. WR D.Samuel; 3. WR J.Hurd
  4. DT J.Kinlaw; 1. WR B.Aiyuk
That’s 13 picks in the first 3 rounds over 4 years.
4 very good players—Warner, Bosa, Samuel, Aiyuk
1 just ok player--McGlinchey
6 complete busts—Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Beathard, Pettis, Hurd
1 near bust—Moore
1 undecided--Kinlaw

Not the best track record, but we've seemingly done better recently.
The jury is still out on Samuel and Aiyuk. they seem to be injured an inordinant amount of the time.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if Richard Sherman would have any value anymore

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if Richard Sherman would have any value anymore
I think in Sherman's case, not enough cap space. Even with Ward's restructure, there probably isn't enough space?

This is why they shouldn't just bring anybody in with guaranteed money, example is Mycole Pruitt. One FA isn't big but it starts to add up. If the 49ers have a successful season as we all hope, there will be multiple players looking for bigger contracts. All those currently on 1-year contracts, will likely have good seasons.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in Sherman's case, not enough cap space. Even with Ward's restructure, there probably isn't enough space?

This is why they shouldn't just bring anybody in with guaranteed money, example is Mycole Pruitt. One FA isn't big but it starts to add up. If the 49ers have a successful season as we all hope, there will be multiple players looking for bigger contracts. All those currently on 1-year contracts, will likely have good seasons.
There does seem a willingness to take less to play here though among the players. They re-signed everyone they wanted and I didn't think they could do that

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There does seem a willingness to take less to play here though among the players. They re-signed everyone they wanted and I didn't think they could do that
True to some extent, but not much.

They re-signed with the 49ers for one year at less cost, because other teams couldn't fit their market prices. So if they're going to get less no matter, makes sense to do it with a good team and in a scheme they're familiar with. Then with a good 2021 season with the 49ers, they can go back on the open market and justify their price.

Next off-season won't have that restrictive cap like this season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to some extent, but not much.

They re-signed with the 49ers for one year at less cost, because other teams couldn't fit their market prices. So if they're going to get less no matter, makes sense to do it with a good team and in a scheme they're familiar with. Then with a good 2021 season with the 49ers, they can go back on the open market and justify their price.

Next off-season won't have that restrictive cap like this season.
We got a break there. Maybe this will be our year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We got a break there. Maybe this will be our year.
Yes, we can look at it that way, a good break.

This season is really set-up for us no doubt. We got back some good FA's (our own) at less than market rates. Ford and Bosa are back, especially Bosa. The schedule is easier than last year. We have better depth and i'll include Lance here too, even if getting ahead of him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we can look at it that way, a good break.

This season is really set-up for us no doubt. We got back some good FA's (our own) at less than market rates. Ford and Bosa are back, especially Bosa. The schedule is easier than last year. We have better depth and i'll include Lance here too, even if getting ahead of him.
I feel like we can get significant contribution from Lance if Garoppolo goes down short term; at least enough where they can still win.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like we can get significant contribution from Lance if Garoppolo goes down short term; at least enough where they can still win.
Lance could still win if the running game goes really well.

But if our run game isn't effective, Lance isn't experienced enough passing the ball. He'll continue to be like Pre-Season, some good but some bad too. How much experience he needs (passing the ball) till he can keep D's honest, no one knows?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance could still win if the running game goes really well.

But if our run game isn't effective, Lance isn't experienced enough passing the ball. He'll continue to be like Pre-Season, some good but some bad too. How much experience he needs (passing the ball) till he can keep D's honest, no one knows?
I see no reason why the 49ers should not continue to run the ball well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see no reason why the 49ers should not continue to run the ball well.
Last year they didn't run well compared to 2019, so when you say CONTINUE to run well.........

For this week yes, everyone would expect they'll run well.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year they didn't run well compared to 2019, so when you say CONTINUE to run well.........

For this week yes, everyone would expect they'll run well.
I don't really count last year because all the RBs were injured, and so were the O Linemen. But look how they did when they were healthy. Remember Mostert's 80 yarder against the Jets and how dominant Jeff Wilson was at the end of the year? I think he ran for over 150 in that one game.
Seemed like in 2019 the Niners could just plug someone in and they'd run for a hundred yards. remember Mostert in the playoffs? especially against Green Bay

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't really count last year because all the RBs were injured, and so were the O Linemen. But look how they did when they were healthy. Remember Mostert's 80 yarder against the Jets and how dominant Jeff Wilson was at the end of the year? I think he ran for over 150 in that one game.
Seemed like in 2019 the Niners could just plug someone in and they'd run for a hundred yards. remember Mostert in the playoffs? especially against Green Bay
Ok

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostert having season-ending knee surgery. Great.

That explains why we just signed RB Kerryon Johnson to the PS.

Throughout Mostert's career here his problem has always been his durability. He always seemed to miss a few games here and there and even a big chunk or two. He missed more than half the season last year with a high ankle sprain. And that continues here with a knee cartilage issue, but it probably won't be our problem any more.

Mostert is 30 years old and his contract is up this year and he will be a FA in March. And he "elected" to have this surgery rather than let it heal up on its own so he could play again late this season. That tells me he wants to enter FA as healthy as possible. But I don't really see it help him much since the Niners aren't gonna resign him and whoever does will know that he just missed 16 games after missing half the year before.

Nice guy and he's overcome a lot, so I wish him luck.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throughout Mostert's career here his problem has always been his durability. He always seemed to miss a few games here and there and even a big chunk or two. He missed more than half the season last year with a high ankle sprain. And that continues here with a knee cartilage issue, but it probably won't be our problem any more.

Mostert is 30 years old and his contract is up this year and he will be a FA in March. And he "elected" to have this surgery rather than let it heal up on its own so he could play again late this season. That tells me he wants to enter FA as healthy as possible. But I don't really see it help him much since the Niners aren't gonna resign him and whoever does will know that he just missed 16 games after missing half the year before.

I like Kerryon Johnson. Thought he was outstanding at Auburn.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO Mostert's big ability is the outside zone run and i wonder how many times other teams call it? For runs between the tackles, don't think he's a standout that'll make teams seek him out. Yes, the majority of RB's peak out at 30 years old, and now he has two major injuries.

Don't think he'll be in high demand outside of the 49ers, if at all?