• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #5 USC Trojans (4-0) at #16 Washington State Cougars | 10:30pm ET | ESPN

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalries between teams from the north and south are hard to sustain when you only play 2 out of every 4 years. Those big 2 year gaps kind of kill the buzz. I mean I look forward to UW/USC when they play, but the gaps kill any real enthusiasm about the overall series.
I believe its 6 out of every 8 years.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe its 6 out of every 8 years.
Thought we flip flopped the two south cali schools every two years. That is the way it was supposed to be anyway.

A nine-game conference schedule is being maintained, with five games within the assigned division and four games from the opposite division. The four California teams will play each other every season. Consequently, the four non-California teams in each division will only play one of the two California teams from the opposite division each year.

The purpose was to ensure every team in the conference has at least one road trip to a cali school and try to get two every other year at least. This year UW's only road trip to Cali is to Stanford. Next year it will be to Cal and UCLA. They only go to the LA market every other season.

Not sure how the rotation goes with the other 4 in the south, but we should flip flop UCLA/USC every two years with a H/H over those two seasons.

UW has not played UCLA and USC in the same season since that format change.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cali schools were the real road block to conf expansion for years. They won't let go of playing each other and the non cali schools wouldn't let the 4 of them be in their own division because they have the most fertile recruiting grounds in the conference and road trips there for visibility and recruiting are huge.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought we flip flopped the two south cali schools every two years. That is the way it was supposed to be anyway.

The purpose was to ensure every team in the conference has at least one road trip to a cali school and try to get two every other year at least. This year UW's only road trip to Cali is to Stanford. Next year it will be to Cal and UCLA. They only go to the LA market every other season.

Not sure how the rotation goes with the other 4 in the south, but we should flip flop UCLA/USC every two years with a H/H over those two seasons.

UW has not played UCLA and USC in the same season since that format change.

I thought the NW schools always get a SoCal game every year. Thought that was the big fit our schools threw when we were all set for the Big 12 south coming but Cal and Stanford nixed that then got to play UCLA and USC every year as well. At least that's the way Bill Moos made it sound at the time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the NW schools always get a SoCal game every year. Thought that was the big fit our schools threw when we were all set for the Big 12 south coming but Cal and Stanford nixed that then got to play UCLA and USC every year as well. At least that's the way Bill Moos made it sound at the time.
Not a socal, just a cal trip every year. SC and UCLA are in the same division and we never play both so it's not possible to go there yearly. You get one trip to northern Cal every year and one trip to socal every other year for all of the washington and oregon schools.

On the other side, the zona and utah/colorado schools get socal every damned year and northern every other. They get the better end of that deal for sure.