• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins Round 1: There will be blood

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating the pens is a nice side effect, but this team wasn't 'built to beat the pens'. It was built from lack of heart. Please don't justify your struggles by saying the flyers were 'built to beat the pens'. The bruins had way more to do with it than the pens did, if you wanna point to a specific team.

You're being a bit sensitive. I think he just meant that the Flyers match up really well against the Pens weaknesses, not that the organization had the Pens in mind when they assembled their squad. At least that's how I interpreted his remark, and the Flyers' success against the Pens all year would support it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being a bit sensitive. I think he just meant that the Flyers match up really well against the Pens weaknesses, not that the organization had the Pens in mind when they assembled their squad. At least that's how I interpreted his remark, and the Flyers' success against the Pens all year would support it.

I took it as either that, or the team was built to beat teams assembled in the mold of the Penguins, since it seems to be a generally common and successful way to build a team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, thanks to the combined effect of yesterday's game and the homework I had due today, which I couldn't seem to figure out, I kind of looked like this around campus today:

6wb4T.gif

:(

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, as bad as the Penguins have been this series, the Pirates might be even worse right now... :burt:

I need to find something to fall back on. Perhaps my Super Smash Bros. 64 prowess will suffice...

Of course, at least the Pirates aren't taking cheap shots at their opponents. Of course, if one of them tried to, I don't know, hit someone with a bat or something, they'd probably whiff... :burt:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Meek *vomit* HE CLEARLY IS DONE, STOP PUTTING HIM IN GAMES.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumours Staal might want out of Pittsburgh. Could get a good return, maybe a solid defender and a winger or young backup goalie.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one of these threads I predicted the Flyers would take it in 5, but I thought there would be at least 3 overtimes and no wins by more then 2 goals. So this is a pleasant surprise, but at the same time I really felt this team was capable of competing this year even with all the injuries.

I predicted 3,as the Pens wouldn't answer the bell for game 4.Probably 3 guys out,so pretty damn close. lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumours Staal might want out of Pittsburgh. Could get a good return, maybe a solid defender and a winger or young backup goalie.

Staal for Iginla...Calgary gets the center they coveted forever only to give up the best winger on the team :loco2:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players wanting out is not a good sign. Especially a stand up guy like Jordan Staal.

It tells me the dynamic in the room has chanced a lot and for the worse. The Penguins used to have a reputation for having one of the best rooms in the game. A cohesive team. That's fading all of a sudden.

Of course, losing does that.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't blame him.He is definitely #1 or #2 at worst ,center for most other NHL teams.tough leaving a contender though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that's the case I'm fine with it. The flyers do match up perfectly against the pens. They'll play run and gun mistake laiden hockey with anyone. Ask them to win 1-0 and we got problems. (please someone take out the rangers. Please. )

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case I'm fine with it. The flyers do match up perfectly against the pens. They'll play run and gun mistake laiden hockey with anyone. Ask them to win 1-0 and we got problems. (please someone take out the rangers. Please. )

You better hope Ottawa can come back or NJ knocks out Florida because if niether happens the Flyers will play the Rangers NEXT.:D:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You better hope Ottawa can come back or NJ knocks out Florida because if niether happens the Flyers will play the Rangers NEXT.:D:

i dno why you're smiling.. i'm not smiling at all. in fact, i'm frowning. :-)( <-----see?)

that being said, flyers gotta finish the job at hand before they worry about the other series'

(dont eliminate some of our options either, if the caps come back and win that'd help too)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah you got a little too sensitive and took it the wrong way. And not to think the Flyers aren't designed to beat the Penguins look at the record this year.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame him.He is definitely #1 or #2 at worst ,center for most other NHL teams.tough leaving a contender though.

Stall is the type of guy I would want as a GM, big body, good skater deceiving shot. He's just stuck behind 2 soft "superstars". He's a heart and soul kind of player and he draws tough assignments every night. I think this series may be compounding things for him though as he's watching his team struggle and Sean Couturier come in as a rookie and basically steal his thunder as being THE a great 2 way player(although this may be a minor influence). From where I sit the Pens have too much descrepencey on their roster as far as talent goes, to many over-paid underachieving players and 2 many "superstars". Through a series of trades they could make themselves infinitely better since there is the illusion that have some insanely high value trade pieces. IMO trading Staal unless he specifically asks for it would be a mistake.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah you got a little too sensitive and took it the wrong way. And not to think the Flyers aren't designed to beat the Penguins look at the record this year.

the flyers were not designed to beat or match up well against the penguins, it just so happened that the group they assembled seem to thrive in the style to be successful against the penguins. winning is one thing, but this team was supposed to be built from the back to the front, not getting into 8-5 shootouts with teams. they are a young team, the run and gun suits them, but i don't think its what homer imagined for at all.