• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#5 Los Angeles Kings vs. #6 San Jose Sharks - Western semis

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this variable game length smells. I think it may have been a deal. Take the series suspension and dont appeal or we will give a suspension larger than the last one and you can appeal but you will miss the series and the start of next season even if you win

Raffi chooses not to appeal

That says two things one Raffi could have appealed so the people saying that Shanny got away with one may be wrong. Who would he appealed to ???
second it says that maybe my crazy theory is a little less crazy.

nope still crazy.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raffi chooses not to appeal

That says two things one Raffi could have appealed so the people saying that Shanny got away with one may be wrong. Who would he appealed to ???
second it says that maybe my crazy theory is a little less crazy.

nope still crazy.

It's not that he couldn't appeal it's the fact that by suspending him for an undetermined amount of time (which is in direct violation of article 18.10 of the new CBA) Torres' only option is to file an appeal with the league offices, more specifically Campbell or Bettman, instead of having the option of filing through an independent arbiter where he actually has a chance at a fair hearing.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that he couldn't appeal it's the fact that by suspending him for an undetermined amount of time (which is in direct violation of article 18.10 of the new CBA) Torres' only option is to file an appeal with the league offices, more specifically Campbell or Bettman, instead of having the option of filing through an independent arbiter where he actually has a chance at a fair hearing.

My point was more devious than yours. I am saying "what if" the league offered Torres a deal. They suspend him for one series and he gives up his option to appeal. Or they suspend him for 25+ games again. The reason the league does this is because they might/would lose the appeal and then the league would appear weaker. The reason Raffi does this is even after he won he would have already lost most of the series before both sides even agree to an arbiter and the appeal may only knock it downs little. Even Wilson's statement shows that Raffi hit Stoll's head. With Raffi as a repeat repeat repeat offender Raffi might even lose. If this suspension goes into next season it would hurt his chances to sign with another team.
By making this imaginary deal both sides lose a little but gain a lot more. The league punished the bad guy and Raffi gets to earn money next year. Heck if the Sharks beat the Kings he gets to play in the WCF.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just found this
Raffi could appeal to both Bettman and an independent out side arbiter
If Torres had appealed suspension, here?s how process would have worked ? plus GM?s statement | Working the Corners

He can only appeal to an independent arbiter once he hit game six of his suspension. Since six is the max it could last by the time he was eligible to file for it the suspension would be over. By not stating an exact number of games the league effectively took that option away from him.

They wanted Raffi gone for the series but in doing so they couldn't specifically state it as a six game suspension. Had they done that he could have immediately filed for an independent hearing that must be decided upon within 48 hours of the filing. Shanahan and the league knew the would loose an independent hearing and loose badly. By implementing the suspension the way they did Torres now has to wait until after he's served six games before he could appeal.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wanted Raffi gone for the series but in doing so they couldn't specifically state it as a six game suspension. Had they done that he could have immediately filed for an independent hearing that must be decided upon within 48 hours of the filing. Shanahan and the league knew the would loose an independent hearing and loose badly. By implementing the suspension the way they did Torres now has to wait until after he's served six games before he could appeal.

I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of this happening, but the current supplementary discipline process needs to be totally revamped. I didn't particularly like the Torres hit, but there's no way he should be sitting out for the rest of the series either.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of this happening, but the current supplementary discipline process needs to be totally revamped. I didn't particularly like the Torres hit, but there's no way he should be sitting out for the rest of the series either.

The loophole the league used for suspending players an indefinate amount of time (aka Matt Cooke's suspension) was supposed to be closed in this CBA. I guess the league has either found a new loophole or the PA did a really piss poor job making sure the old one was closed. You are correct though, the entire process top to bottom, needs to be completely reworked.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loophole the league used for suspending players an indefinate amount of time (aka Matt Cooke's suspension) was supposed to be closed in this CBA. I guess the league has either found a new loophole or the PA did a really piss poor job making sure the old one was closed. You are correct though, the entire process top to bottom, needs to be completely reworked.

Did you read the link
Daly said Raffi could have appealed both bettman and an outside arbiter. He said it was up to the PA and Raffi what he wanted to do.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL has fined the Sharks 100 grand for the Doug Wilson statement - Wowza.

Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL fines Sharks $100,000 for Doug Wilson's statement from yesterday

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL fines Sharks $100,000 for Doug Wilson's statement from yesterday

I didn't think what Wilson said was that bad. They had said most of it before. I may not agree with his logic but 100,000 is a steep fine

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

$25k for violating league rules with the press release and an additional $75k for the "inappropriate nature of the comments."

Lol

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is a ludicrous fine. just ludicrous. the NHL is garbage

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I find most interesting is the league hasn't issued any statements in defense of Shanahan or his ruling.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find most interesting is the league hasn't issued any statements in defense of Shanahan or his ruling.

No need to
In this case he is the league.
I think fining Wilson 100k is a pretty big statement.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No need to
In this case he is the league.
I think fining Wilson 100k is a pretty big statement.

$100k is nothing and I be surprised if Wilson thought he could make the statement he did and not get fined. The fine plus their reluctance or inability to refute what Wilson said is a pretty glaring acknowledgement that they, the league, are in the wrong in regards to the application of rule 48.1 and subsiquent suspension.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were rumours that Toffoli was available at the trade deadline...