• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5/30 Nats @ Scrabble

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-8

Evidently after the first two AB's, Bam Bam got a hold of Calixte and said something like, "Son, if you want to stay with the big club, it is best not to show up the vets."

His AB's since that little chat: groundout on a 2-0 pitch, strikeout looking on 3-2

D@mn this team's hitting. Just terrible.

Sorry Stokes, but for me at least, this BamBam stuff is getting a little exhausting. It's not only his fault, getting rid of him isn't going to do anything, it's an organizational approach, the Giants draft and develop players that tend to fit this mold. And I'm fine with the approach, if you get a good pitch, hit it. Don't swing at bad pitches. The problem is we don't have very many hitters that can make big impacts consistently enough. They get good pitches to hit, but they don't do anything with them.

As a team, their chase % before 2 strikes is lower than league average (good), their chase % with 2 strikes is well lower than average (good), and their chase percentage on bad pitches is lower than average (good). They're not up there hacking, they're spitting on pitches waiting for good ones, but don't do squat with them. They basically have 2 impact guys consistently.

I'm fine with BamBam because he seems like a well-respected guy, and fits the organizational approach, but he just doesn't have much to work with.

We do agree that the hitting stinks, just for different reasons.

Sorry, rant over.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you know this but ERA is supposed to measure pitching skill, even if the pitcher makes the error it shouldn't ding his skill as a pitcher.

Any more than when Bum hits a HR we can take an ER away from him.
That comparison feels like apples and oranges. Offense has zero bearing on a pitcher's stats (outside of wins and losses) but defense has a big bearing. Considering that Morris put all 5 runners on base and the defense did their job outside of his error, I think that the 3rd run should count toward his ERA.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Stokes, but for me at least, this BamBam stuff is getting a little exhausting. It's not only his fault, getting rid of him isn't going to do anything, it's an organizational approach, the Giants draft and develop players that tend to fit this mold. And I'm fine with the approach, if you get a good pitch, hit it. Don't swing at bad pitches. The problem is we don't have very many hitters that can make big impacts consistently enough. They get good pitches to hit, but they don't do anything with them.

As a team, their chase % before 2 strikes is lower than league average (good), their chase % with 2 strikes is well lower than average (good), and their chase percentage on bad pitches is lower than average (good). They're not up there hacking, they're spitting on pitches waiting for good ones, but don't do squat with them. They basically have 2 impact guys consistently.

I'm fine with BamBam because he seems like a well-respected guy, and fits the organizational approach, but he just doesn't have much to work with.

We do agree that the hitting stinks, just for different reasons.

Sorry, rant over.
This is definitely helpful to keep in mind. Good to know that they aren't as bad of hackers that their stats suggest. They are just bad.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is definitely helpful to keep in mind. Good to know that they aren't as bad of hackers that their stats suggest. They are just bad.

Also, I don't want to come off as "this is how you should think", that's just what I think and see.

It's also possible that Belt and Posey skew the entire team's stats in these categories.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't want to come off as "this is how you should think", that's just what I think and see.

It's also possible that Belt and Posey skew the entire team's stats in these categories.

I was pondering this today. Posey does most of his RBI damage with nobody on base, when pitchers actually pitch to him. One reason (aside from this season's non-clutchiness) that Posey has so few RBI's with men on base is that he may be the only Giant who is capable of driving in runs, so the pitchers are not giving him anything to hit. Still, when one looks at other team leaders on other teams, they also get pitched around, but seem to do just fine driving in runs.

No harm on your rant, it's just a long standing pet peeve and shorthand for blaming someone for hitting woes. It may be the org approach, but it isn't working. And it hasn't worked for nearly a year. And there seem to be (results wise) no adjustments being made. Then again, we may not have many major league hitters on this roster. And when the starters poop in their pants in the first inning or two, the hitters cannot seem to make up for being behind.

There is no magic fix for this (aside from signing Trout and Harper). It is very frustrating to watch the same crappy results game after week after month.

And if our payroll was what the A's payroll is, no problem. But we have what, one of the top five payrolls in baseball, and we are ten games out in our division already, and having been outscored by more than 1.5 runs/game.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pondering this today. Posey does most of his RBI damage with nobody on base, when pitchers actually pitch to him. One reason (aside from this season's non-clutchiness) that Posey has so few RBI's with men on base is that he may be the only Giant who is capable of driving in runs, so the pitchers are not giving him anything to hit. Still, when one looks at other team leaders on other teams, they also get pitched around, but seem to do just fine driving in runs.

No harm on your rant, it's just a long standing pet peeve and shorthand for blaming someone for hitting woes. It may be the org approach, but it isn't working. And it hasn't worked for nearly a year. And there seem to be (results wise) no adjustments being made. Then again, we may not have many major league hitters on this roster. And when the starters poop in their pants in the first inning or two, the hitters cannot seem to make up for being behind.

There is no magic fix for this (aside from signing Trout and Harper). It is very frustrating to watch the same crappy results game after week after month.

And if our payroll was what the A's payroll is, no problem. But we have what, one of the top five payrolls in baseball, and we are ten games out in our division already, and having been outscored by more than 1.5 runs/game.

It's all just frustrating to watch because it is so punchless. Posey has generally been very good W/RISP, as has Belt and Pence, and Crawford. They just all seem to be on the same, shitty wavelength this year. Seems to be all or nothing with this team. Best team (and one of the better offenses) in baseball first half, worst offense in recent baseball history since. Hopefully things turn around, it's really tough to see.

Hopefully, the Giants go with the kids and see what they have in house. Middling veterans aren't going to cut it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all just frustrating to watch because it is so punchless. Posey has generally been very good W/RISP, as has Belt and Pence, and Crawford. They just all seem to be on the same, shitty wavelength this year. Seems to be all or nothing with this team. Best team (and one of the better offenses) in baseball first half, worst offense in recent baseball history since. Hopefully things turn around, it's really tough to see.

Hopefully, the Giants go with the kids and see what they have in house. Middling veterans aren't going to cut it.
I don't know if we will ever know what happened between the 1st half and 2nd half of last season. It is so puzzling.

As for playing the kids, it seems that they are willing to do that only to a certain extent.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if we will ever know what happened between the 1st half and 2nd half of last season. It is so puzzling.

As for playing the kids, it seems that they are willing to do that only to a certain extent.

My hope is that we get a good look at some of the kids on the 40-man right now. Hopefully Mac gets 400 AB's ROS, Gregorio (who will be out of options next year!!) gets some solid time out of the pen, Calixte, Kelby (well, we know what we have in him, but it'd be nice to see him stick), Crick and Okert and Startton, lets see what we have. I'd be okay if we didn't see Beede, Shaw or Slater (well, maybe Slater deserves a shot, but if Mac is getting consistent AB's, not much space for Slater) because they are wasting option years.

Look, to be real, we have a pretty low shot at making the playoffs at this point. It's June 1st, and we're already 11 games out of each playoff spot. 3 games out of the number 1 pick.

Reactions: LHG