• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5/26 Winning @ 1st inning run spotters

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Noggin lasts the season.
The Giants could lose every remaining game and they will not fire Noggin.

And he isn’t going to bail on the team.

Only other option is his leaving for health concerns. And unfortunately, that is a possibility...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, Pence has hit his 11th homerun this year and he's on pace for the best season of his entire career.

I'm happy for him and I also was okay with the Giants for letting him go for a chance at the young guys. If the Giants brought back Pence, it would not have been easy to DFA him if he did bad.

But his resurgence this season has me legitimately wondering what is going on. There has got to be something internally happening. Or the baseball gods really are just cashing in from our 2010-2014 run.
Pence's resurgence is shocking, considering his last couple of seasons here. The way that Parra, Maybin and Joyce have played since being jettisoned by the Giants is even more head scratching, considering their 2018 seasons. The whole thing is really frustrating. I do think the entire coaching staff probably needs to be swept out by the end of this season. I'm just not convinced, yet, that FZ is going to be the answer. Maybe the team needs new ownership too.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the hell is happening with these first inning runs?!? Are the pitchers not ready? Are the scouting reports terrible? Is it the pitching coach? (Whiteside's fault!) This is beyond fluky.
:noidea: Ever since the 2016 All-Star break, the things happening with this team has been full of :scratch:.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pence's resurgence is shocking, considering his last couple of seasons here. The way that Parra, Maybin and Joyce have played since being jettisoned by the Giants is even more head scratching, considering their 2018 seasons. The whole thing is really frustrating. I do think the entire coaching staff probably needs to be swept out by the end of this season. I'm just not convinced, yet, that FZ is going to be the answer. Maybe the team needs new ownership too.

A relatively clean house is imperative.

We enjoyed the torture of 3 in 5, and will be forever grateful. (Or as long as the Dogs remain title-less!)

That said, it is hard to keep a dynasty together. Especially when the 3 in 5 was done with wild-card teams. They were solid teams, but they were also a bit lucky.

And the PTB's kept thinking that keeping the vets around, the magic would happen again. And it almost did in 2016.

Since the middle of 2016, though, this team has grossly underperformed. The front office has not built for the future, and our farm system is one of the emptiest in baseball. There are some exciting prospects at San Jose and Augusta, but there is almost nothing of MLB quality above that.

You either blow it up early, or blow it up late. Teams like the Patriots and the Spurs (22 straight years in the playoffs) that just keep reloading are the exception.

Time to end the dumpster diving and actually draft, develop talent.

In the meantime, this is going to be a long season, and it looks like 100 losses are in view. Reality check. We are also on pace to score 610 runs, and give up 845, for a -235 deficit. There is no easy nor quick fix to that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this team, a 28 year old rookie would still make this team look like a roster full of geezers.

What the heck, I'd just as soon see Bart and Ramos (when healthy) pay their dues at this level and see what they can do. Enough with the 28 year old "prospects". I do like Austin, though, but he is "only" 26.

The FO would NEVER do this, nor would Noggin. And that's a problem. Not just with those two, but we don't develop players, and we keep them too long in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa....

Over react much?

We are less than 10 years removed from the START of the Golden Age of the franchise and only about 5 years from the “end” of it.

When you have the kind of pedal-to-the-metal, always buying strategy they employed for as long as they did, eventually the waiter comes to the table with the check. Looks like you just don’t want to spend the time washing the dishes...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa....

Over react much?

We are less than 10 years removed from the START of the Golden Age of the franchise and only about 5 years from the “end” of it.

When you have the kind of pedal-to-the-metal, always buying strategy they employed for as long as they did, eventually the waiter comes to the table with the check. Looks like you just don’t want to spend the time washing the dishes...

Wash dishes?!? We want caviar and champagne!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa....

Over react much?

:noidea: Where is my overreaction, in questioning if FZ is the answer? I'm not complaining about the need for a re-build, I am questioning if those in charge are willing to pay the price to do an actual re-build? This team sucking isn't a bunch of young guys getting their lumps in the big league level, its a bunch of has been veterans, many of them brought in to try to keep the team competitive. I am curious to see how FZ's regime both drafts in June and trades in July. If he is held back to doing what it takes to truly re-build this team, then new ownership is needed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: Where is my overreaction, in questioning if FZ is the answer? I'm not complaining about the need for a re-build, I am questioning if those in charge are willing to pay the price to do an actual re-build? This team sucking isn't a bunch of young guys getting their lumps in the big league level, its a bunch of has been veterans, many of them brought in to try to keep the team competitive. I am curious to see how FZ's regime both drafts in June and trades in July. If he is held back to doing what it takes to truly re-build this team, then new ownership is needed.
Calling for new ownership is a tad bit over bearish, no?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck, I'd just as soon see Bart and Ramos (when healthy) pay their dues at this level and see what they can do. Enough with the 28 year old "prospects". I do like Austin, though, but he is "only" 26.

The FO would NEVER do this, nor would Noggin. And that's a problem. Not just with those two, but we don't develop players, and we keep them too long in the minors.
If Yaz falters, I hope that Austin starts to get more playing time in left field and either Yaz or Gerber becomes the 4th man.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coonrod had a nice big league debut.

I wonder who gets Suarez's turn in the rotation. Will there be another opener or does Beede get recalled for another shot?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If ownership isn't willing to invest in a true re-build, do you want to watch this kind of baseball for the next 5 years?
My God, man. Seriously?

They went balls to the wall for an absolutely amazing 5 year stretch. The whole time, we all acknowledged that we would need to pay for it eventually, but that we would cross that bridge when we came to it.

Well guess what. We are at the bridge.

Relax. This is the natural order of things.

Is the FO perfect? No. But FZ has been around for a matter of months, and we all knew it was going to be a tough road.

Is ownership perfect? No. But I think they have earned enough slack from me to last my lifetime. They kept the team in SF, keeping it from moving to ?Tampa. They have gone to 4 World Series and won 3 of them (89 was the previous ownership). And they built the greatest ballpark in baseball.

Do t you think they deserve to still run THEIR team like a business and make money?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My God, man. Seriously?

They went balls to the wall for an absolutely amazing 5 year stretch. The whole time, we all acknowledged that we would need to pay for it eventually, but that we would cross that bridge when we came to it.

Well guess what. We are at the bridge.

Relax. This is the natural order of things.

Is the FO perfect? No. But FZ has been around for a matter of months, and we all knew it was going to be a tough road.

Is ownership perfect? No. But I think they have earned enough slack from me to last my lifetime. They kept the team in SF, keeping it from moving to ?Tampa. They have gone to 4 World Series and won 3 of them (89 was the previous ownership). And they built the greatest ballpark in baseball.

Do t you think they deserve to still run THEIR team like a business and make money?
I don't see it any differently than Bochy. If we deem it time for him to move on, then we can make the same call on ownership. Yes, like I am grateful for what Bochy did in those 3 WS championships, I am grateful for keeping the team here in SF and building three championship teams. However, I don't give them a lifetime pass for my opinions. I don't see how financially feasible it would be to keep putting out mediocre teams without doing re-build but it seems like the "safe" thing to do if the ownership is being fearful of losing dollars. Besides, and I haven't looked this up to see if its true, but is this really the same leadership group that kept the team in SF? Has there been enough changes in stakeholders that it would really be considered the same? That I don't know.

Again, my frustration isn't that we are in this time of poor play. I'm frustrated at the apparent lack of effort to really rebuild. I think June and July will show whether or not the team will try to actually rebuild.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone below Zaidi (and maybe some of his hired guns) is probably on the chopping block. The only change I could see above that is Baer being bought-out.