• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5/1/13 GDT Brooms vs. Snakes

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally get it fellas. I'm a bit of a mutt, so I'm used to it.....grew up in SoCal and my favorite teams: Giants, Broncos, Jazz, Flyers, Orange hoops and Florida State football are all over the map. 25+ years invested in all of them. One good thing is I cannot be accused of being a bandwagoner......lol

For the record: My hatreds run along party lines and they run deep: Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Duke hoops, Georgetown and UCONN hoops and Gators football......

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally get it fellas. I'm a bit of a mutt, so I'm used to it.....grew up in SoCal and my favorite teams: Giants, Broncos, Jazz, Flyers, Orange hoops and Florida State football are all over the map. 25+ years invested in all of them. One good thing is I cannot be accused of being a bandwagoner......lol

For the record: My hatreds run along party lines and they run deep: Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Duke hoops, Georgetown and UCONN hoops and Gators football......

What got you into all those teams? What was the draw for each?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per my previous post, here are the April numbers for the starters. PQS works like this -- We score each outing on a 0-to-5 scale. The pitcher gets one point for each of the following:
•A a minimum of six innings.
•No more than an equal number of hits to the number of innings pitched.
•Number of strikeouts must be no fewer than two less than innings pitched.
•Ratio of Ks to BBs at least 2.0
•1 HR or less
Outings that score a 4 or 5 are considered dominating (DOM). Outings that score a 0 or 1 are considered disasters (DIS). Outings of less than 5 innings are scored 0. DOM at or above the 40% mark is indicative of good pitching; above 50% is great; above 70% is elite. A low DIS is also indicative of good pitching.

Basically, you want to see a pitcher's DOM% to be over 40 and ideally over 50, and you want their DIS to be under 20% and ideally under 10%. For example, Johan Santana had a 76% DOM and 3% DIS in 2006 (2.77 ERA), whereas Orlando Hernandez had a 52% DOM and 28% DIS (4.66 ERA), and Adam Eaton had a 31% DOM and 31% DIS (5.12 ERA). You can see particularly how a low DIS% is so important to a low ERA.

If you had to chose a high DOM% or a low DIS%, pitchers tend to have a lower ERA when you have a low DIS% vs. a high DOM% (obviously if you combine both, you have a much better chance of having an elite pitcher). But I think when the DOM% is high enough, you win more by choosing a high DOM% over a low DIS%, as there are more high quality games pitched overall.

Giants Starters' PQS for 2013 Season

Bum - (83% DOM, 0% DIS; 5:0/6): 5, 3, 5, 5, 5, 4

Horse- (50% DOM, 17% DIS; 3:1/6): 5, 0, 4, 3, 5, 3

Freak - (60% DOM, 0% DIS; 3:0/5): 3, 4, 2, 5, 5

Tron - (40% DOM, 0% DIS; 2:0/5): 3, 4, 5, 3, 2

Zeets - (40% DOM, 40% DIS; 2:2/5): 3, 4, 0, 4, 0

Giants Month of April - 56% DOM, 11% DIS out of 27 games counted (15:3/27)

That's pretty damn elite.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per my previous post, here are the April numbers for the starters. PQS works like this -- We score each outing on a 0-to-5 scale. The pitcher gets one point for each of the following:
•1 HR or less
Outings that score a 4 or 5 are considered dominating (DOM). Outings that score a 0 or 1 are considered disasters (DIS). Outings of less than 5 innings are scored 0. DOM at or above the 40% mark is indicative of good pitching; above 50% is great; above 70% is elite. A low DIS is also indicative of good pitching.

Basically, you want to see a pitcher's DOM% to be over 40 and ideally over 50, and you want their DIS to be under 20% and ideally under 10%. For example, Johan Santana had a 76% DOM and 3% DIS in 2006 (2.77 ERA), whereas Orlando Hernandez had a 52% DOM and 28% DIS (4.66 ERA), and Adam Eaton had a 31% DOM and 31% DIS (5.12 ERA). You can see particularly how a low DIS% is so important to a low ERA.

If you had to chose a high DOM% or a low DIS%, pitchers tend to have a lower ERA when you have a low DIS% vs. a high DOM% (obviously if you combine both, you have a much better chance of having an elite pitcher). But I think when the DOM% is high enough, you win more by choosing a high DOM% over a low DIS%, as there are more high quality games pitched overall.

Radical. I can't wait to see a full season sample size similar to that.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What got you into all those teams? What was the draw for each?

My parents and most of my family are from Philly, and I was born in Orange County. In the pre/early-ESPN era (I'll be 40 this year), I didn't have any way of seeing the Philly teams all that much and had no reason to root for the local teams. I pretty much picked my teams based on my favorite players to watch and never gave up on their teams when they retired or moved on....

Broncos: John Elway and as a kid I loved the way the camera shook when the crowd at Mile High would go crazy. Made my first trip to Denver last year for the Broncos-Texans game. I am now 1-6 when in attendance. lol

Giants: Couldn't stand the Dodgers growing up. So it was easy to be a Giants fan because I loved watching those games in Candlestick and hearing Vin Scully whine when we would beat them. Then, when Will Clark came on the scene I was hooked. To this day he is still my favorite player of all time.

Jazz: Stockton to Malone.

Flyers: Family. Not a huge hockey fan, but I lived back in Philly a couple times in the last ten years and really enjoyed going to Flyers games.

Orange Hoops: Became a huge fan of theirs during the run to the Finals when they lost to Indiana. Keith Smart can :censored: himself! lol

Florida State: Deion Sanders followed by Charlie Ward. Been a fan ever since.....

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents and most of my family are from Philly, and I was born in Orange County. In the pre/early-ESPN era (I'll be 40 this year), I didn't have any way of seeing the Philly teams all that much and had no reason to root for the local teams. I pretty much picked my teams based on my favorite players to watch and never gave up on their teams when they retired or moved on....

Broncos: John Elway and as a kid I loved the way the camera shook when the crowd at Mile High would go crazy. Made my first trip to Denver last year for the Broncos-Texans game. I am now 1-6 when in attendance. lol

Giants: Couldn't stand the Dodgers growing up. So it was easy to be a Giants fan because I loved watching those games in Candlestick and hearing Vin Scully whine when we would beat them. Then, when Will Clark came on the scene I was hooked. To this day he is still my favorite player of all time.

Nice. I had a similar experience. I grew up in Anaheim rooting for The Angels and never was a fan of The Dodgers. When Clark and Thompson arrived, it was easy to make them my National League team. Moving to the Bay Area in the early 90s started the process of The Giants replacing The Angels as my favorite team. (just don't tell my dad; break the man's heart). ;)

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have feeling we'll be getting along famously :suds:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jazz: Stockton to Malone.

Flyers: Family. Not a huge hockey fan, but I lived back in Philly a couple times in the last ten years and really enjoyed going to Flyers games.

Orange Hoops: Became a huge fan of theirs during the run to the Finals when they lost to Indiana. Keith Smart can :censored: himself! lol

Florida State: Deion Sanders followed by Charlie Ward. Been a fan ever since.....

Quite the story. I'm really excited about Tank on the 49ers. I like the Cuse as well, I always enjoy watching them play. Welcome!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
•1 HR or less

Wonder how that stacks up against the rest of the league. Do you know the league average?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I had a similar experience. I grew up in Anaheim rooting for The Angels and never was a fan of The Dodgers. When Clark and Thompson arrived, it was easy to make them my National League team. Moving to the Bay Area in the early 90s started the process of The Giants replacing The Angels as my favorite team. (just don't tell my dad; break the man's heart). ;)

You haven't come out of the closet to your dad? Dude, be free. Don't live a lie!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tz, I would love to see league leaders for this stuff. Seeing a small spread is nice, but it requires that I trust the writers interpretation of the stats (4 or 5 = elite, for example). I would like to see more players numbers so I can get the warm-fuzzies about the numbers myself...

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, thanks for the welcome fellas.

Random: I am really enjoying this Warriors-Nuggets series. As a fan of the game of basketball, this series has been very entertaining. Back to watching the game....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Random: I am really enjoying this Warriors-Nuggets series. As a fan of the game of basketball, this series has been very entertaining. Back to watching the game....

Best series so far!

The Bulls-Nets has been good too.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tz, I would love to see league leaders for this stuff. Seeing a small spread is nice, but it requires that I trust the writers interpretation of the stats (4 or 5 = elite, for example). I would like to see more players numbers so I can get the warm-fuzzies about the numbers myself...

That's some work, as PQS isn't tracked on any database that I know of...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was there last night. The best quarter of hoops I have ever seen live followed by six of the worst minutes I've ever seen played on any level anywhere.

Still nauseous

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there last night. The best quarter of hoops I have ever seen live followed by six of the worst minutes I've ever seen played on any level anywhere.

Still nauseous

The first bolded is without question an exaggeration. It got sloppy for a bit, but c'mon...

The second bolded sounds right.

Great, fun series, best of the playoffs so far. They will have their hands full with the Spurs but crazy good 3 point shooting can be an equalizer.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first bolded is without question an exaggeration. It got sloppy for a bit, but c'mon...

The second bolded sounds right.

Great, fun series, best of the playoffs so far. They will have their hands full with the Spurs but crazy good 3 point shooting can be an equalizer.

The new versus the old. This should be a really exciting series again. 2 of my favorite wings in the league, Leonard and Barnes, going at it too.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still nauseous

Did you get one of those "we are warriors" shirts?

My sister went to all 3 and got the "protect""defend" and "battle" shirts.

I don't care much for giveaways anymore but those are pretty cool