• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers sign Kassim Osgood

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice special teams pick up. He was a 3 time pro bowler.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he makes the roster it will be an okay re-sign. He doesn't do anything at the WR position and he was not involved much in the PR/KR last season. No big deal and not worth mentioning for his return IMO.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Baldwin doesn't make the team, I don't have a problem keeping him as the 6th WR. However, if Baldwin makes it then it should be Crabs, Boldin, Patton, rookie WR #1, Baldwin, and rookie WR #2.

Really want the second WR that we draft to be a slot receiver with punt return abilities who can bump James off the roster and free up a spot. That puts a lot of pressure on Kassim's spot to be more naturally filled from a backup safety. That would allow us to throw everything possible at developing as many WR's and CB's as possible. For where we are right now it's too much of a risk to try and stash a CB talent on the practice squad like last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he makes the roster it will be an okay re-sign. He doesn't do anything at the WR position and he was not involved much in the PR/KR last season. No big deal and not worth mentioning for his return IMO.

ok, IF he makes it, but IMO it'll take a lot to unseat him.

you have to have a few guys that can cover kick-offs and punts WELL. he came in highly regarded, and he performed last season. so even if he is only for special teams play, ok by me. not every ST coverage player, doubles as a highly regarded position player.

maybe they can TRY him out in the RZ? not be THE guy for that situation, but use him depending on the opponent?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he doesn't add much to the WR position but he is a good special teamer. IF we draft a WR I think we will have to decide on on Baldwin and Osgood. I think we keep Osgood because of what he adds to special teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes he doesn't add much to the WR position but he is a good special teamer. IF we draft a WR I think we will have to decide on on Baldwin and Osgood. I think we keep Osgood because of what he adds to special teams.

we should look at Osgood as a 'Pro Bowl' gunner, not a WR.

we typically keep five (5) WR's so that means Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Baldwin, and a draft pick. this draft pick must be thought of as a future outside starter.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now the Niners pretty much either have to draft 1 WR and no more (please be Moncrief!!!), or they have to cut Baldwin.

If they can somehow get both Matthews & Moncrief then Baldwin can hit the road.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should look at Osgood as a 'Pro Bowl' gunner, not a WR.

we typically keep five (5) WR's so that means Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Baldwin, and a draft pick. this draft pick must be thought of as a future outside starter.

Yeah, I agree. That he is called a WR doesn't really mean much. What matters is that he makes an impact of special teams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now the Niners pretty much either have to draft 1 WR and no more (please be Moncrief!!!), or they have to cut Baldwin.

If they can somehow get both Matthews & Moncrief then Baldwin can hit the road.

IF great value arises say round 3, then go ahead and draft another WR. yeah, not the best efficiency, but we don't HAVE to keep Baldwin.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the departure of Dixon I was hoping they'd sign Osgood since a WR we draft will probably be smaller/quicker in order to be a slot receiver.

I used to like Baldwin when he was coming out of college, but at this point I don't care what plans Baalke & Co have for the WR position going into the 2014 season because I'd still say it's time for Baldwin to...

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't see these two competing for the same job at all. If Baldwin makes the team it's because he's proven he can contribute at WR. I don't believe he played ST last year. Osgood is not being considered as a WR at all. I would imagine that if Baldwin makes the team, I imagine he won't dress on game days, or will compete with whatever rookie we have for a roster spot.

I think Osgood is one of the most likely guys on the current roster to make the team. Especially given his contract only counts for 635K against the cap (roughly). I would say he's as likely to make the team as Kendall Hunter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant carry that many WRs if we draft one. Just doesn't make much sense. Someone will get cut if we draft a WR.

Lets Hope some how we land Mike Evans.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good. He's a good special teams player and a serviceable backup at wide receiver.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant carry that many WRs if we draft one. Just doesn't make much sense. Someone will get cut if we draft a WR.

Lets Hope some how we land Mike Evans.

We can carry 6 WRs the question is will we? Also with Gabbert at QB we probably only keep 2 QBs on the 53 allowing for 6 WRs

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good. He's a good special teams player and a serviceable backup at wide receiver.

just read he was in on 43 offensive snaps last season, more than I would've guessed. doubt he'll reach this number again, but MAYBE use him in the RZ, depending on the opponent?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see these two competing for the same job at all. If Baldwin makes the team it's because he's proven he can contribute at WR. I don't believe he played ST last year. Osgood is not being considered as a WR at all. I would imagine that if Baldwin makes the team, I imagine he won't dress on game days, or will compete with whatever rookie we have for a roster spot.

I think Osgood is one of the most likely guys on the current roster to make the team. Especially given his contract only counts for 635K against the cap (roughly). I would say he's as likely to make the team as Kendall Hunter.

I don't disagree that Osgood is likely to make the team, but a STs player's spot is always more volatile than a guy who contributes on offense or defense, IMO. We've had a slew of STs stars who we have dropped in recent years. I'm not convinced Osgood isn't facing the same sort of threat from a younger player, particularly if there's one who has promise at a position.