• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers not picking up Aldon Smith option...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the terms of that fifth year? How much less is it than the franchise tag? How much less is it than what they would likely have to pay Aldon to keep him (even if it has protections or is shorter than expected)? Does picking it up make it guaranteed or does it set a roster bonus or can the team cut the player but the money on the books for a certain time? I know there's a May deadline, but what are the other ramifications?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I had heard the cap figure to pick up the option was like 9.75 mill as it's the average of the top 10 players at his position like the transition tag. It's guaranteed if he gets hurt and is fully guaranteed if he's on the 2015 roster. I'm not sure what the ramifications are if he's cut though. I have to believe there's some kind of hit otherwise the team could have just exercised the option with no risk.

It doesn't really matter though, the team will see how Aldon deals with things the rest of the 2014 and they can franchise tag him if he cleans up or let him walk if he destroys himself. I'm all in favor of putting him on the Dez Bryant plan though with the round the clock babysitter etc. It shouldn't be necessary, but if you want to salvage one of the most elite, if not the best pass rusher today then we need to get creative. You don't just replace someone who averages a sack a game in his career and can play the run very well.

Lemon and Carradine MIGHT be able to help with it, but Tank is slated to replace Justin Smith or McDonald down the line and who knows if Brooks won't get into more off field issues of his own. These issues are something the front office and the coaches need to deal with head on.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Giving him the 5th year option would send a terrible message to him and to the public so that news bit doesn't surprise me.

That still doesn't mean he won't be on the team in the future but he'll need to be on his best behavior and not get into any trouble for the rest of the year if he expects to get a new deal.

Even a new deal is likely to come loaded with clauses to protect the team against him doing something stupid again.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon needs help and the support of his teammates and friends. For now, forget about the football player and just help him as a person. He's still young and if he can get his act together, he can continue to be a very good player.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are not cutting him so that is good news. might be suspended again.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are not cutting him so that is good news. might be suspended again.

I think he will be suspended. Hopefully this will give him time to reassess the direction of his life is heading. He has so much God-given skills and talent and he is throwing it all away. I'm not surprised that the Niners decided not to pick up the 5th year option.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One element to consider is if they do intend to trade him then they need to pick up the option because it increases his value in a trade with giving a team another season with him under their control.

The only way not picking up the option makes sense is if they are trying to drive home a message to him that he needs to be on his best behavior or he's done.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One element to consider is if they do intend to trade him then they need to pick up the option because it increases his value in a trade with giving a team another season with him under their control.

The only way not picking up the option makes sense is if they are trying to drive home a message to him that he needs to be on his best behavior or he's really All-done.

Fixed it for you. ;) :lame:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to see how his legal issues play out, but 2-4 games max for a suspension is likely. Anything more would be excessive on the league's part for a guy basically receiving his first ever league suspension. If they give him 4 games it's basically 9 game suspension when you add in the 5 games he missed last year when we basically suspended him. 9 games is over a half a season which would be crazy unless he gets hard on the legal side.

He shouldn't see any jail time for the gun charge or airport incident though. He was essentially a victim in the gun charge. It's kinda ridiculous that they guy stabbed is the one getting charged because an unregistered gun was found in his house. It sounds like Smith was just in a bad mood and likely thought the TSA was profiling him on the additional screening check. This led to him bringing up the possibility of a bomb which the TSA had to take seriously. In the end though it doesn't seem like Aldon did anything seriously wrong. The reports of him being uncooperative seem misleading. They let him get all the way to his gate where he had probably put the whole security check thing behind him, and then approach him to take him as a threat. It's not hard to see where 99% of the population would be a bit upset about that if they really were not up to no good. The uncooperative part is mostly him just telling them he did nothing wrong and didn't have a bomb and just wanted to catch his flight on time and to leave him alone. The sad thing is though even simple comments like that coming from a guy his size can seem threatening.

The DUI's are huge though. He has 2 right now and another would likely lead to a big suspension. I think the NFL will be lenient on him for the first 2 because he did miss 5 games and do rehab for it last year, but another one after the rehab would likely bring out at least an 8 game suspension.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What are the terms of that fifth year? How much less is it than the franchise tag? How much less is it than what they would likely have to pay Aldon to keep him (even if it has protections or is shorter than expected)? Does picking it up make it guaranteed or does it set a roster bonus or can the team cut the player but the money on the books for a certain time? I know there's a May deadline, but what are the other ramifications?

To answer some of these questions:

1) The fifth year would be a one-year, $9.754 million contract.

2) The tag for LBs is currently $11.455 million, though presumably that will increase next year (one of the benefits of the option is you use this year's tag value instead of next year's). I don't know if the option works the same way, but I would expect Aldon might challenge the franchise tag by claiming he's a DE and not a LB. The DE franchise number is $13.116 million this year. Orakpo got the LB number, so it's a safe bet Aldon would, too.

3) No idea what we'd have to pay to keep Aldon on a longterm deal. The top young-ish pass-rushers in this year's FA class got $8 million plus, though the two best were franchised and none of those who signed longterm deals are as effective as Aldon. Ware and Peppers both signed for $10 million a year.

4) As noted by someone (forget who) above, the option is guaranteed only against injury. We could still cut him. I'm honestly not sure if we could extend him in lieu of the option, but I'd think we could.

5) No ramifications I know of other than the May deadline.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to see how his legal issues play out, but 2-4 games max for a suspension is likely. Anything more would be excessive on the league's part for a guy basically receiving his first ever league suspension. If they give him 4 games it's basically 9 game suspension when you add in the 5 games he missed last year when we basically suspended him. 9 games is over a half a season which would be crazy unless he gets hard on the legal side.

He shouldn't see any jail time for the gun charge or airport incident though. He was essentially a victim in the gun charge. It's kinda ridiculous that they guy stabbed is the one getting charged because an unregistered gun was found in his house. It sounds like Smith was just in a bad mood and likely thought the TSA was profiling him on the additional screening check. This led to him bringing up the possibility of a bomb which the TSA had to take seriously. In the end though it doesn't seem like Aldon did anything seriously wrong. The reports of him being uncooperative seem misleading. They let him get all the way to his gate where he had probably put the whole security check thing behind him, and then approach him to take him as a threat. It's not hard to see where 99% of the population would be a bit upset about that if they really were not up to no good. The uncooperative part is mostly him just telling them he did nothing wrong and didn't have a bomb and just wanted to catch his flight on time and to leave him alone. The sad thing is though even simple comments like that coming from a guy his size can seem threatening.

The DUI's are huge though. He has 2 right now and another would likely lead to a big suspension. I think the NFL will be lenient on him for the first 2 because he did miss 5 games and do rehab for it last year, but another one after the rehab would likely bring out at least an 8 game suspension.
The gun charges are for three felonies. I'm not sure that this will be knocked down to a lesser charge in such a anti-gun state such as I live in. I wish him the best. He never used those in that party he had and they didn't even charge him for those until much later.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) The tag for LBs is currently $11.455 million, though presumably that will increase next year (one of the benefits of the option is you use this year's tag value instead of next year's). I don't know if the option works the same way, but I would expect Aldon might challenge the franchise tag by claiming he's a DE and not a LB. The DE franchise number is $13.116 million this year. Orakpo got the LB number, so it's a safe bet Aldon would, too.

3) No idea what we'd have to pay to keep Aldon on a longterm deal. The top young-ish pass-rushers in this year's FA class got $8 million plus, though the two best were franchised and none of those who signed longterm deals are as effective as Aldon. Ware and Peppers both signed for $10 million a year.

4) As noted by someone (forget who) above, the option is guaranteed only against injury. We could still cut him. I'm honestly not sure if we could extend him in lieu of the option, but I'd think we could.

Some very good points about the cost if the 9ers don't do the option with Aldon. I think that the FO is sick of his BS and won't do it but I could be wrong. It might mean the 9ers pay more if they want to franchise him after this season but I really feel his days are numbered as a 9er.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The gun charges are for three felonies. I'm not sure that this will be knocked down to a lesser charge in such a anti-gun state such as I live in. I wish him the best. He never used those in that party he had and they didn't even charge him for those until much later.

Picking up a couple cases since the gun thing certainly doesn't help his case when pushing for misdemeanors....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't see us giving him a longterm contract to make him one of the highest paid DEs in the league without plenty of clauses in there about keeping out of trouble. And frankly, I have a hard time seeing him getting top dollar from us even with those in there. He is facing a very real suspension threat, and will have to show that he can keep his nose clean for a sustained period before that disappears.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking up a couple cases since the gun thing certainly doesn't help his case when pushing for misdemeanors....
True. A Judge might label him as an 'unstable' person at this moment. Possible mental issues. This really sucks for the team but more so for him. I hope he can get his head on straight.....and very soon.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any issues outside of the charge should not be taking into account though unless they directly effect the charged placed on him. For instance if he had previous gun charges they would be taking into account, but a DUI charge should not. They are completely separate issues.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any issues outside of the charge should not be taking into account though unless they directly effect the charged placed on him. For instance if he had previous gun charges they would be taking into account, but a DUI charge should not. They are completely separate issues.

In terms of what the charges are, yes. However, if a crime can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony ("wobbler"), a defendant can ask the court to reduce it to a misdemeanor. In considering that, a judge may consider other factors. I must admit, I'm not entirely certain if it's proper for a judge to consider subsequent action, but picking up other cases certainly isn't going to do him any favors.

Similarly, the DA's office could offer to resolve for a misdemeanor. But if he keeps picking up arrests, they aren't as likely to do that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I had heard the cap figure to pick up the option was like 9.75 mill as it's the average of the top 10 players at his position like the transition tag. It's guaranteed if he gets hurt and is fully guaranteed if he's on the 2015 roster. I'm not sure what the ramifications are if he's cut though. I have to believe there's some kind of hit otherwise the team could have just exercised the option with no risk.

It doesn't really matter though, the team will see how Aldon deals with things the rest of the 2014 and they can franchise tag him if he cleans up or let him walk if he destroys himself. I'm all in favor of putting him on the Dez Bryant plan though with the round the clock babysitter etc. It shouldn't be necessary, but if you want to salvage one of the most elite, if not the best pass rusher today then we need to get creative. You don't just replace someone who averages a sack a game in his career and can play the run very well.

Lemon and Carradine MIGHT be able to help with it, but Tank is slated to replace Justin Smith or McDonald down the line and who knows if Brooks won't get into more off field issues of his own. These issues are something the front office and the coaches need to deal with head on.

Thank you guys for your time and answers.

Do you think we will hold this stance and opt at the last minute after a good talk or agreement of more rehab (agreement might not mean a new or additional signing, just a real agreement)? Would that be worse, like caving? We can meet on the 21st, sows have time, right?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They're not picking up a 1-year option for the guy who's on pace to be the greatest sack artist in the history of the NFL. :L

What the Donahue are they drinking at the Niners' facility this offseason? :gaah: Was Baalke in the passenger seat with Aldon 'cause he was even more hammered than Aldon was?

Why do I feel a bad moon rising over the draft?