• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers biggest offseason need... running back?

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I imagine this thread may garner some vitriol from fans, but that's truly not my intention. Prior to the game yesterday I watched consecutively each of the 5 49er Super Bowls (one of the best gifts I've received as an adult, btw). The greatest difference schematically between those teams that won the Super Bowl is not the quarterback or wide receiver usage. It's the fact that the 2011 49ers do not utilize their running backs as receivers. Frank Gore caught just 17 passes this season. Hunter caught 16. Gore has indeed a history of being utilized as a receiver, but he has never been a natural at running routes. In fact, he has always been more of a check down man. Players such as Ricky Watters and Roger Craig were major factors in the passing game and could often have been used split wide or in the slot. Gore just appears awkward split out. Also, in every 49er Super Bowl but one a running back caught a touchdown pass. The lone game without a running back catch for a touchdown? Super Bowl 23 and Roger Craig caught 8 passes for over 100 yards that day. Consider the running back usage as a pass receiver:

1981 - Ricky Patton 27 catches; Earl Cooper 51 catches; Paul Hofer 27 catches
1984 - Wendall Tyler 28 catches; Roger Craig 71 catches
1988 - Roger Craig 76 catches; Tom Rathman 42 catches
1989 - Roger Craig 49 catches; Tom Rathman 73 catches
1994 - Ricky Watters 66 catches; William Floyd/Marc Logan 35 catches

The use of a running back as a significant threat in the passing game has long been a staple of the West Coast offense. And while the offense definitively needs help at wide receiver, the West Coast offense utilizes every potential receiver lining up on any given play. Every time the 49ers dropped back to pass the 49ers usually were one or two options short. And part of that is the fact that Frank Gore is not a WCO running back, and he is clearly slowing down. To me, a big offseason need is the Ricky Watters/Roger Craig/Charlie Garner type of back. Kendall Hunter MAY fit that mold, but I remain unconvinced so far.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, this thread is perhaps one year early - two at the most...but certainly not worthy of vitriol...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, this thread is perhaps one year early - two at the most...but certainly not worthy of vitriol...

Damnit! I want vitriol! Vitriooooooooool! :rant:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly believe in the fact that we should be seeking out an heir apparent to Gore in the draft and believe that we can find that RB in the mid rounds. Anthony Dixon is NOT the 3rd RB we need. He is great with ST but he certainly is not a WCO RB and isn't the future for the Niner backfield. So in that, I would agree.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably need to draft one for sure. Dixon needs to be replaced and if you can get guy in the 3rd round like we did Gore than this is a good year to do it. I like Gore but he was damaged goods to begin with. You have to wonder just how much tread is left on those tires giving all the injuries. I don't think the team can rely on him staying healthy, and I'm not sure Hunter is fit to be an every down player. They absolutely need to get another RB. They could look for a cheap FA though to backup Gore like when they got Westbrook. I doubt our current coaches would horribly under use a talented player like Singletary did with Westbrook as well.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was just thinking a McCoy/Westbrook would be good, I'd even be ok with a second rounder, assuming the first went WR, in filing the hole (assuming we resigned Our defensive FA's). I haven't seen much college ball to know which prospects fit the mold.
I could also see a larger, LeGarette Blount-type, but haven't heard of any productive big backs. Be fun catching up on draft info.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we all agree that it would be wise for the Niners to draft another RB. How much longer is Gore signed for? Not sure but I'd say two more seasons of Gore and he'll be through. Hunter is very good and could be his eventual replacement, but we definitely need some more depth and dixon doesn't do it for me, despite his limited opportunities.

But... NO. WR is the biggest need by FAR. There's no debate on this I don't think.

edit: But that's a good OP. I would love to see a really good receiving back in the fold. Hunter could be that guy though,

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit! I want vitriol! Vitriooooooooool! :rant:

roflcopter9gr.JPG

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a more serious note I agree with mind. A guy like Doug Martin in the 3rd round would make me real happy. He'll replace the useless Anthony Dixon in the short-term, and offers plenty of starting potential down the road. I'm a bigger fan of his than most people, though.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Clyde, I'm a fan of Martin as well. I think that NOW we need to be looking for the next RB after Gore. If we wait until its obvious that Gore is not as useful, we put ourselves behind the 8 ball and in a position of desperation. Let the RB of the future ease his way into the starting role. I don't believe Hunter can be THAT guy every down, although I definitely see his use as a change of pace speed back.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind getting another one, I like the advantage of a strong backfield rotation. I think we already have one in Hunter, I don't see any reason he won't continue to do well. I'm comfortable with what he has shown at this point. On average he didn't produce much worse than Gore. I would like another change of pace to go forward with though. Is there any good receiving backs in this draft? Alex could benefit from one that bails him out on those dump passes more frequently, this was easily Franks worst year catching the ball. I'm interested in seeing how Hunter comes along in that category too. I expect those passes to happen with Alex, we might as well bring in a weapon to take advantage of it.

I wouldn't use a high pick on one though, It's not worth it in most drafts.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly believe in the fact that we should be seeking out an heir apparent to Gore in the draft and believe that we can find that RB in the mid rounds. Anthony Dixon is NOT the 3rd RB we need. He is great with ST but he certainly is not a WCO RB and isn't the future for the Niner backfield. So in that, I would agree.

jonas gray!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to swing with MW on this if i read his post correctly. A year or 2 early in RB needs IMHO.

Is Gore slowing down? definitely compared to his previous healthy years but i see lot of gas left in the tank. The guy is warrior with the ball, fights for the yards and breaks free for some huge gains.

One thing that i truly luv and thank the high heavens is that Gore is one of the best Blitz pick up RBs out there...

So unless a Trent Richardson falls or an Arian Foster becomes avail, I keep my Gore and bring on Hunter until we are positioned for a playmaking back via draft or FA.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We probably need to draft one for sure. Dixon needs to be replaced and if you can get guy in the 3rd round like we did Gore than this is a good year to do it. I like Gore but he was damaged goods to begin with. You have to wonder just how much tread is left on those tires giving all the injuries. I don't think the team can rely on him staying healthy, and I'm not sure Hunter is fit to be an every down player. They absolutely need to get another RB. They could look for a cheap FA though to backup Gore like when they got Westbrook. I doubt our current coaches would horribly under use a talented player like Singletary did with Westbrook as well.

It still kills me that we lost out on Blount because of Coffee and Dixon. Can you imagine if we had Gore, Blount, and Hunter? Talk about a three-headed beast. Granted we might not have taken Hunter in that case, but I think there's still a decent chance as we would have been lacking speed at the position.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jonas gray!

A good choice, as well is Isaiah Pead. Pead can be our kr/pr/3rd down back right away, while being groomed to take over for Gore. I've advocated for him all season, in the front pages of the draft thread, now he's shown up big at the Senior Bowl. We might have to spend a 3rd round pick on him now. He's a perfect wco back.

I'm also a huge fan of Robert Turbin. I feel we can't o wrong with any of these guys.

Jonas Gray Tribute - YouTube

Isaiah Pead Highlight: 2011 Big East Offensive POY - YouTube (Look at those hands)

Robert Turbin in BEAST MODE - Don't make him angry! - YouTube (6'1 220 lbs with hands)

All 3rd/4th round prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EK, you have been on Pead's nuts for awhile and I haven't seen more then maybe two Bearcat games this season, but after the Senior Bowl, I am a BIG advocate of his in the mid rounds. If we can get him in 3/4 rd range, I would be all for him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's plenty of other pieces to be added ahead of RB, but I am in favor of going with a RB again. We could get good use out of another versatile RB in this offense, just like we could out of a TE to supplement the weakness in WR. Think if we land a #1 or #2 WR in FA, it definitely opens up taking a RB early if that's the top rated player.

For this draft I'd focus on quality players over need, or trading picks for veteran players to fill need. This is a year where if you draft exclusively for need you'll probably be doing it again next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh how I wish we could sign Tolbert for peanuts.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that RB should and could be a similar priority to WR, albeit one of the plus pass catching variety. If we are a WCO, having a RB that can catch the ball, that can split out wide AND be a legit threat in the passing game, that can create mismatches coming out of the backfield, can be as valuable an asset as drafting a good WR IMO. I, by no means, believe that we should pick a RB INSTEAD of WR, but in addition to...and good RBs can be had in the mid rounds.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically, we are going to be able to milk Gore for, what, two seasons max at above average play before his multitude of injuries coupled with Mother Nature start to slow him down....maybe not even that long. Considering that we are built as a running WCO team, RB NEEDS to be a priority or we will end up looking like the Jets did this season.