• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers are having a good draft

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man you fools are making me laugh. "Waaaah, we had a bad draft because the guys we picked weren't on the mock draft of some guy who pulls names out of a hat. It's obvious Trent has an eye for talent. I'll trust him any day over some profootballtalk idiot and the people who think those guys know what they're talking about. We just added an onslaught of threats to our offense which struggled last year. Go ahead and tell me how we needed an o-lineman more and I'll tell you how almost every time you draft a player of need instead of BPA you fail. But it's ok, just listen to John Clayton. Didn't he give us a C- last year? Yeah, Aldon, Kendall, Bruce and Cully think he's a retard. Not to mention we got a guy in Kaep waiting for his chance to throw some bombs to Moss, Jenkins, and Manningham. Oh wait, I forgot I'm probably talking to the geniuses who think Tolzien is the next Montana.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Man you fools are making me laugh. "Waaaah, we had a bad draft because the guys we picked weren't on the mock draft of some guy who pulls names out of a hat. It's obvious Trent has an eye for talent.

So by that rationale any criticism of any established GM's draft picks is unfounded?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So by that rationale any criticism of any established GM's draft picks is unfounded?

Except Gene Smith.

He drafted a punter in the 3rd, and when asked why a punter over a DL that could be in a rotation he said he would "rather get a starter than a backup" in the 3rd round.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Absolutely not, but when you're talking about a guy who's hit home runs and you base it off of the Walter Mock Draft then yes, those people should just shut up. The fact is, none of these guys have played a single NFL game. Not a damn one of us knows how good or bad the draft was. But the point is is there are 32 guys in the world that are trusted enough to draft. I'll take every single one of their opinions over any internet jockey who thinks he knows or John Clayton for that matter. We've seen mediocre guys in college become probowlers and we've seen studs become duds. So not one person can say how bad the draft is. What we can say is how good of a fit these guys are. Jenkins=spot we need, James=a huge potential threat and another person teams will have to gameplan for. If people can't see that, they're watching the wrong sport.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Except Gene Smith.

He drafted a punter in the 3rd, and when asked why a punter over a DL that could be in a rotation he said he would "rather get a starter than a backup" in the 3rd round.

I was scratching my head with that pick, but just think how much value Lee has to us. You can definitely argue that a great punter is more useful than a backup D-lineman.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was scratching my head with that pick, but just think how much value Lee has to us. You can definitely argue that a great punter is more useful than a backup D-lineman.

I disagree. The Niners are about as best-case-scenario as it gets for that argument, as we don't really rotate our DL at all, but most teams have a heavy rotation of DL, and in the 3rd round you shouldn't be drafting someone that will struggle to make the squad.

And thinking about it, Aldon Smith was essentially a rotational DL for us this year, coming in to rush the passer. I don't think many would argue he was less important than Lee.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree. The Niners are about as best-case-scenario as it gets for that argument, as we don't really rotate our DL at all, but most teams have a heavy rotation of DL, and in the 3rd round you shouldn't be drafting someone that will struggle to make the squad.

And thinking about it, Aldon Smith was essentially a rotational DL for us this year, coming in to rush the passer. I don't think many would argue he was less important than Lee.

Well if you're gonna use Aldon as the argument I can also say that that is the best case scenario lol. There's definitely other valuable punters besides Lee. You have Lechler, Moorman, and more. Who knows, maybe this kid is the next one. We won't know for at least 2 years though.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well if you're gonna use Aldon as the argument I can also say that that is the best case scenario lol. There's definitely other valuable punters besides Lee. You have Lechler, Moorman, and more. Who knows, maybe this kid is the next one. We won't know for at least 2 years though.

If you get a guy that can be a contributor to your DL rotation, you're looking at 20+ snaps per game. The Rams had the most punts this year with 105, so roughly 6.5 per game.

Andy Lee punted 78 times, roughly 5 times per game.

I can't accept an argument that a punter is more valuable than a DL who plays regularly. Rotational, pass rushing DL are becoming as valuable as 3rd WRs and nickel backs.

I also didn't refer to Lee as a best case scenario because of his skill, but because we hardly rotated DL at all (Smith and McDonald both played well over 90% of snaps, Aldon was more of a LB) and our offense was atrocious, so rotational DL was not a valuable role for us, and punter was. Teams that rotate their DL (Philly for example) with good to decent offenses would downgrade punter and upgrade DL in value.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But you see the amount of snaps is irrelevant to how valuable he is. I'm talking about to put a team back at their own 20 consistently no matter how far back you are. If you take Lee off of our team and put a basic punter there's no doubt we wouldn't of had the success (not saying we'd suck but we definitely wouldn't of had 13 wins). Hell he was just as valuable as the offense against the Saints. They would've had way more points had they consistently gotten the ball on their 40 or even the 50 yard line.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my problem with the draft is baalke seems to lock in on certain positions. he drafts talented players with upside, but there's value picks that u don't know will be there until draft day.

i'd rather draft like the steelers do instead of trying to fill more immediate needs. especially when they basically do their drafting before the draft. this is how we end up with two guards a couple years ago and we traded up for one of them. who would have thought decastro would last beyond 20?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I see where the rancor and vitriol is coming from. This draft has been painful to you because you waited so long for it and its been pretty much a waste of time for the Niners.

head-in-a-fish-bowl.jpg

hahah best response to this troll yet

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ll say the Niners had a good draft I give it a solid B. Jenkins should decelop into a quality starting wide receiver, James could become an everydown back to replace Gore.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The more I read about the players we took, the more I like the draft we had. First couple picks were explosive offensive skill players...middle rounds were more on the ehhh side but good articles on the OL and S we chose and got another 3rd rounder next year...the capped it off with a great pick in Cam!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Gene Smith.

Can't argue with that. Is it too early to vote him GM of the year? Sorry Trent (Baalke).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The more I read about the players we took, the more I like the draft we had. First couple picks were explosive offensive skill players...middle rounds were more on the ehhh side but good articles on the OL and S we chose and got another 3rd rounder next year...the capped it off with a great pick in Cam!

yeah, first off good job in helping out next year's draft. was hoping for a few late picks added for 2013. but didn't expect three and one a 3rd no less??!!

adding speed and playmaking with the first two picks make sense, before the draft thought it was a good idea to help out the short routes, looks like we got it.

Looney looks alright being a 3 year starter and earning all Conference. for a 4th rounder its about what you'd expect. if Kilgore has a chance to compete, don't see why Looney can't either? granted Kilgore has a year in SF.

Darius Fleming another 3 year starter and at a top school. Notre Dame isn't in a Conference so no honors possible. its the 5th round so as long as he becomes a solid back-up or ST's demon....looks good to me?

Trenton Robinson is another 3 year starter with all Conference (2 years all conf.). to me thats seems solid value in the 6th? is he not liked because of his height? to me, as long as he performs.

Jason Slowey is an LT and from a small conference, so here's where we get into the "flyer" category. but why not try this guy at Center?

Cameron Johnson seems to be good value in the 7th? a 3 year starter who has played standing up before. why not take a flyer on this guy who has some pass rush in him?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But you see the amount of snaps is irrelevant to how valuable he is. I'm talking about to put a team back at their own 20 consistently no matter how far back you are. If you take Lee off of our team and put a basic punter there's no doubt we wouldn't of had the success (not saying we'd suck but we definitely wouldn't of had 13 wins). Hell he was just as valuable as the offense against the Saints. They would've had way more points had they consistently gotten the ball on their 40 or even the 50 yard line.

Sorry, I had to step out for a bit.

Isn't Lee's value for us raised because we were so poor on offense? If we lost Lee this offseason, would you have felt more value be had in a punter in the 3rd round or a WR? Would you have traded LaMichael James for a punter (James went just 9 picks before Anger)?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry, I had to step out for a bit.

Isn't Lee's value for us raised because we were so poor on offense? If we lost Lee this offseason, would you have felt more value be had in a punter in the 3rd round or a WR? Would you have traded LaMichael James for a punter (James went just 9 picks before Anger)?

I definitely agree, but to a point. Had our offense been better, maybe he'd be kicking coffin corners as opposed to just getting them back to their 20's. I mean, no matter how good an offense is you're going to punt eventually. I mean, yeah no doubt unless that punter ends up as a top 3 punter it was a boneheaded move. But it's definitely more respectable than a kicker in the first. We'll never know though, maybe that's a guy they had to have and somebody else was targeting (doubtful though). Everybody was kicking and screaming about AJ Jenkins, but tunes changed a bit when they all found out he was going to get drafted 3 picks later.