• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Acquire Center From Baltimore

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid better be better then Looney because if not this makes no sense. The only thing I heard about this kid is that he won the back up center spot for the Ravens.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid better be better then Looney because if not this makes no sense. The only thing I heard about this kid is that he won the back up center spot for the Ravens.

PFF gave him the highest grades for a center during preseason. Doesn't mean we are getting a great player, but Looney played like crap so it is an improvement right there. I expect Martin will still start, but in case Martin gets hurt or really struggles.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay
I give up trying to edit that post .Posting on a phone sucks!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF gave him the highest grades for a center during preseason. Doesn't mean we are getting a great player, but Looney played like crap so it is an improvement right there. I expect Martin will still start, but in case Martin gets hurt or really struggles.
we hope he is better. U also have to throw in that Looney can play multiple positions. Trust me I do not like looney but all I'm saying this kid that we traded for better be better.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Younger, cheaper, better than Looney, then cool.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
because the Center usually makes the line calls, good to have one developing on the PS. We shouldn't be depending on Kilgore as a long term, solid starter.

If Marcus Martin was our "Center of the future", they wouldn't have tried Looney so much, nor sign Easton. So this is beginning to say something about Martin. Not giving up on him or saying he's already no good, but his potential hasn't shown yet, hasn't 'flashed' yet.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because the Center usually makes the line calls, good to have one developing on the PS. We shouldn't be depending on Kilgore as a long term, solid starter.

If Marcus Martin was our "Center of the future", they wouldn't have tried Looney so much, nor sign Easton. So this is beginning to say something about Martin. Not giving up on him or saying he's already no good, but his potential hasn't shown yet, hasn't 'flashed' yet.

I don't think Nick Easton is on the practice squad. I think he is on the roster as a backup to Martin.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think you're reading too much into this in terms of Martin, Deep. I don't doubt that they have some questions about Martin, but the reality is that we have a good center on the roster in Daniel Kilgore. Kilgore is 27, and is on a fairly reasonable contract. He was playing quite well when he was injured last year. I think the idea was to see if Martin could play RG, solidifying that position for when Kilgore returns. But Looney just wasn't cutting it at OC, and Martin wasn't all that great at RG, either, so they decided to strengthen center as much as possible for the time being. I think it says more about Looney than Martin right now, but time will tell.

Martin is still very young. He's got a spot on this OL IMO, though I do have occasional visions of Chilo Rachal with him....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree this is more about Looney and the other backups. Looney is 25 years old while Martin is only 21 years old. I haven't given up on Martin yet. He is still really young. I don't think the 49ers ever intended for Martin to hit the field last year but injuries forced the issue. Martin still has time to grow. I think then 49ers really liked Easton based on his preseason play and saw him as a much better backup option than Looney and Farrell

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you're reading too much into this in terms of Martin, Deep. I don't doubt that they have some questions about Martin, but the reality is that we have a good center on the roster in Daniel Kilgore. Kilgore is 27, and is on a fairly reasonable contract. He was playing quite well when he was injured last year. I think the idea was to see if Martin could play RG, solidifying that position for when Kilgore returns. But Looney just wasn't cutting it at OC, and Martin wasn't all that great at RG, either, so they decided to strengthen center as much as possible for the time being. I think it says more about Looney than Martin right now, but time will tell.

Martin is still very young. He's got a spot on this OL IMO, though I do have occasional visions of Chilo Rachal with him....

no, not reading too much into it, "I don't doubt that they have some questions about Martin" is what i'm also saying.

If Martin showed some 'flashes' at Center, early this off-season, no reason to even try him out at RG. If you saw a lot of potential for Martin at Center, you'd go ahead and give him the reps at Center. When Kilgore returns, he either takes Center back, or compete at RG.

Recall, i said "Center of the Future", not just compete at Center.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fair enough. Kilgore probably can't play RG, though, so if they could have gotten Martin settled there now, it would have benefitted the team as a whole. If you had a good center, a backup center with great potential, and no real guard, it's entirely likely you'd try to backup center at guard. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, not reading too much into it, "I don't doubt that they have some questions about Martin" is what i'm also saying.

If Martin showed some 'flashes' at Center, early this off-season, no reason to even try him out at RG. If you saw a lot of potential for Martin at Center, you'd go ahead and give him the reps at Center. When Kilgore returns, he either takes Center back, or compete at RG.

Recall, i said "Center of the Future", not just compete at Center.

Just a guess, but I think with the issues on the right side of the line, they were trying many different combinations during preseason and TC to see what might work best.