• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

46n2's Conference Projections (5/18/2012)

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my way is better fork'em :)

My way is the biggest TV market likely to be produced in a Super Conference scenario. FSU brings Florida, GT brings Atlanta, we pull in NYC, DC Metro, the whole mid Atlantic coast, TEXAS, plus the entire Midwest minus Misery.

We become THEE biggest stage out of the 4 super conferences, whatever they may be called.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE-----------------------------

so I had a late night on the phone with my source. we talked upcoming season, New/expanded facilities, the future of the NCAA bball tourney if a breakaway of the Big4 happens, etc. i did manage to squeeze a few tidbits out of him though.

The Big12 will not take any overtures from 2 specific schools as part of a gentlemens agreement with Slive...there goes any hope of VT(Dang! I really really wanted to play VT again in conf-just have to settle for it being an alliance rivalvry one day). slive doesn't want to go past 14 for a couple of years so some schools may twist in the wind for a bit ala Louisville. Wants a few years to study the scheduling and possibility of a semi-final.

the goal isn't to completely destroy the ACC but to merely reduce it to a conference unable to compete with the Big4 in football. ESPN also will get to assemble the most incredible bball conference of all time with the remnants and the Catholics.

Clemson is good to go but the hold-up is Notre Dame's sudden interest in talking with us again-their football worth is almost zero to a conference until their NBC contract is up...and they allegedly want Pitt. Speaking of Pitt, they have come to Ollie's doorstep begging for a handout....and he has obliged...Pitt could end up pulling a TCU

The championship bowl alliance was first pitched to Slive by Swofford...it's why the ACC was so quick to jump to 14 when it looked as if the SEC was going to. Swofford also pitched a scheduling alliance like the B1G and PAC have during that same conversation. Slive pitched this idea to Neinas when Mizzou was on the cusp of leaving the B12.

Miami is not coming and it may be a long time before they start recovering from whats about to happen to them.

^^^from the wvu site

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are basically saying that VT and NC State are being saved for the SEC, but the SEC won't take them for a couple of years?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so I had a late night on the phone with my source. we talked upcoming season, New/expanded facilities, the future of the NCAA bball tourney if a breakaway of the Big4 happens, etc. i did manage to squeeze a few tidbits out of him though.

The Big12 will not take any overtures from 2 specific schools as part of a gentlemens agreement with Slive...there goes any hope of VT(Dang! I really really wanted to play VT again in conf-just have to settle for it being an alliance rivalvry one day). slive doesn't want to go past 14 for a couple of years so some schools may twist in the wind for a bit ala Louisville. Wants a few years to study the scheduling and possibility of a semi-final.

the goal isn't to completely destroy the ACC but to merely reduce it to a conference unable to compete with the Big4 in football. ESPN also will get to assemble the most incredible bball conference of all time with the remnants and the Catholics.

Clemson is good to go but the hold-up is Notre Dame's sudden interest in talking with us again-their football worth is almost zero to a conference until their NBC contract is up...and they allegedly want Pitt. Speaking of Pitt, they have come to Ollie's doorstep begging for a handout....and he has obliged...Pitt could end up pulling a TCU

The championship bowl alliance was first pitched to Slive by Swofford...it's why the ACC was so quick to jump to 14 when it looked as if the SEC was going to. Swofford also pitched a scheduling alliance like the B1G and PAC have during that same conversation. Slive pitched this idea to Neinas when Mizzou was on the cusp of leaving the B12.

Miami is not coming and it may be a long time before they start recovering from whats about to happen to them.

^^^from the wvu site

A lot of this goes directly against certain things that I am hearing.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

^^^from the wvu site

Swofford got the okey doke pulled on his ass, eh? No surprise there. First thing I've heard about Pitt but none of the rest of this surprises me that much. VT to the Big12 was VERY unlikely, as I see it. If the SEC decides to stick to 14 for "some time", they may miss out on several of their best options because I don't see VT or NC State "waiting around" for a call that may never happen if they have other options. Would Pitt bring the DC market to the Big 12? I know they do have some rivalry there with ND and proximity .. but other than that, doesn't make much sense. I could see them entertaining Big 12 membership for several reasons. If the B1G would pick up Pitt, VT, GT, and UNC .. would be good grabs ...

While we're not all in agreement with how things pan out, it seems like we are all in agreement that the Big12/SEC partnership is probably the first REAL signal (not rumors) of the impending death of ACC football, serious ACC football anyhow. That being the case, it's time for VT to find a new home ... sooner rather than later.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been wrong before, fairly recently, actually, but I have a hard time seeing ND sign on to any conference that is not the B1G. They have annual games with three of their teams (that I can think off of the top of my head) and are just the fit. If they finally decide to join, it almost has to be the B1G.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boooooooooooooooooooooo! Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

gradam01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been wrong before, fairly recently, actually, but I have a hard time seeing ND sign on to any conference that is not the B1G. They have annual games with three of their teams (that I can think off of the top of my head) and are just the fit. If they finally decide to join, it almost has to be the B1G.

Also, with the B1G/PAC12 deal ND and USC could be setup as a guaranteed annual game.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

im not sure....my opinion just speculation......ND has always felt that the B1G is not national enough.on the other hand a big 12 with texas,ou,fsu,wvu,(gt,vt,nd??) would be pretty close to a national conference without going to west....and also there is just a lot of bad blood between nd/b1gfrom over the years....big 12 lets ND keep 3rd tier rights

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i....and also there is just a lot of bad blood between nd/b1gfrom over the years....big 12 lets ND keep 3rd tier rights

those are the two reasons why the big12 could be attractive to ND .. but I'm with 46 .. ND to any other conference other than the B1G ?? I'll believe it when I see it .. but with the relationship between ND and other B1G schools (pretty common knowledge), egos may prevail over common sense .... but it's probably more about money than ego. If ND will give up its selfish ways for the common good, they'll do it for the big10. If they're more worried about keeping their 3rd tier money and staying richer than everyone else (like texas), they'll go to the big12.

Imagine a Big12 with Notre Dame AND Texas?? I seriously hope that's a last resort for Virginia Tech.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sparko you need to let up on the money hungry texas is evil bit........the other schools left because they were whiners and didnt want to stay and work on the conference...neb,ou,tamu all voted for unequal splits,they didnt have vision when texas was talking about starting a network(big12) and said no...texas kept looking into the network option(lhn) and it was not a secret other schools knew.......and lastly the big 12 is
looking like it is going to be stronger than it was(hopefully) because we have members that what to be here and help the conference not bitch/moan about every little thing